Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I didn't realize the Standards were so heavy. I guess I really didn't think about it. Now that I do, it seems like a good weight. Since other dogs have a lower center of gravity and look so bulky, it made sense for them to be heavy. A Standard is too graceful to indicate their real muscle mass. :D

My Katie was heavier than my other poodle, but she was 8 lbs at 10".

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I didn't realize the Standards were so heavy. I guess I really didn't think about it. Now that I do, it seems like a good weight. Since other dogs have a lower center of gravity and look so bulky, it made sense for them to be heavy. A Standard is too graceful to indicate their real muscle mass. :D

A Standard Poodle is not typically a heavy dog. They have a lean body type with good ropey muscling. I think above dogs are just larger than normal.

My girls are:

Izze 21" 35lbs .... very lean. Could use about 2 more lbs to be perfect.

Sabrina 22" 40lbs ... at age 8 after 2 litters she has lost her tuck up and put on a pound or two... but haven't we all.... she is actually in very good weight.

Delilah 21" 38lbs .... she is my chunky monkey and I have to watch what she eats or she really porks up. I think she is in perfect weight right now.

Most of the show bred boys I know are around 24" and 50lbs.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
my spoo is a very light girl coming in at 25" and only 38 lbs.
I have been trying to put a bit more on her but she doesnt gain.
The vet andd many ppl have said she is fine

·
Registered
34 Posts
Weight Chart

My minipoo puppy is 11 weeks 2 days...she weighs 3.1 lbs and is 7 inches tall to her shoulder.

My calculations say she will be 14 inches and 10.3 lbs.... maybe just under that, I was looking at the 12 week period....anyone calculate it differently?

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Miss Molly is watching her weight lately and has trimmed down to 11lbs and is 11inches at the shoulder (she a 'mostly' mini X)

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
It seems like quite a difference in weights with the poos of the same height. I was just thinking with Luce being 12" and 11-11 1/2#, the difference could also be in the length.

Short back w/ long legs may be the same weight as long back with shorter legs.
Long back and not as long legs will be different also.

I have to correct myself!! I just measured here - more scientifically. I held a pencil against her shoulder and mad a mark on the cabinet door. 14"!!!!!!!!!!

For her length, I did it two ways. 1. While standing I measured her from the color to tail - 15" 2. While laying on her side I measured from the breast bone to the tail - 17".

Here's a picture from a month ago after she was groomed. I can feel her back and her ribs, she feels good to me!

Attachments

·
Registered
983 Posts
I have to correct myself!! I just measured here - more scientifically. I held a pencil against her shoulder and mad a mark on the cabinet door. 14"!!!!!!!!!!
Well the pencil can't always be accurate, if you hold it to just a slightly different angle to the wall/cabinet you will get a different height...... I usually take something with a right angle to slide down the wall to stop at her back ( a book or a right-angled - triangle ruler is what I use) then mark the height and then measure it.

When I last measured Lucia (she doesn't like to stand straight) she was about 27-27.5 cm and 3.2kg
She is 12 months old now so I don't think she would get any taller (well I hope she won't) :)

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
My 2 standard poodles (male/white & female/apricot) are
26" and 58-60lbs

I need to measure their height again.... it's been quite a while and they will be 2 years old in a couple of months. I wonder if they grew any "fraction of an inch" taller :p

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
149 Posts
My girl was 27" and 70 lbs, my fella is 25" and 55 lbs. I'm wondering, unscientifically, if parti's tend to be a little bit bigger than the solids. I like a big poodle and am shopping around for a new puppy with big parents : )

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
My first Spoo, Roxy was 27 inches and 58 pounds
Beau was 28 inches and 62 pounds
So far at almost 5 months Penny is roughly 20 inches and in the 25 pound range. I don't think she'll be quit as big as Roxy or Beau since Pennys' Mom and Dad weren't as big as my other 2 spoos. But I could be wrong because I suck at knowing what's going to happen.

Rick

1 - 20 of 21 Posts