Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had hear about this a year or two ago, but wanted to ask opinions on it.

I was browsing for heartworm meds online one night and read that some people make their own using 1% ivomec injectable and propolyne glycol

I would have to look up the exact amounts for the recipe and dosage.

so anyway, I brought it up on another forum I am on, and people freaked out, so I continued with my iverhart or heartguard. so then another person I know brought it up, and then I asked my vet. I was a little scared to ask a vet because of the reaction I got before, but she said she does this with her own dogs.

just wondering if any of you mix up your own, or do you buy heartguard or another preventative product?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Two of my poodles had deathly ill reactions to Revolution and heartguard. Almost lost one of them while on heartguard. They are now on Interceptor with absolutely no problems.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
ive never heard of that before but it would be intresting to know more about it just b/c im a curious type person. if your vet is ok i
the it i would say it is likely to be reasonably safe so long as u dont over dose.

pls excuse mt typing style, baby in one hand typing with the other

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I've used Ivermectin for years without problems.

You can't use it for hearding type breeds or collie breeds for some reason. (aussies, borders, collies, shelties, etc..)

Vega's breeder even uses Ivermectin on all of her own dogs as well and I have never had a heartworm + dog while using it and I lived in Louisiana so I think that was a pretty good test...lol

·
Registered
575 Posts
Ivermectin is the active ingredient in most heartworm medications and has been used for YEARS in large kennels and such.

You don't have to mix it with anything, but you would give it ORALLY, not injected (although you could, but the dosing would be different and it STINGS!!!) The dose is 1/10 of a cc/ml per 10lbs of body weight, so a 10lb dog would get 1/10 of a cc/ml (cc/ml are the same thing). Ivermectin will also kill most intestinal parasites (other than tape worm) at that dose.

Ivermectin is also used to treat mange mites and is quite effective at it, however, it is generally injected sub Q at one week intervals and at a different dosage (higher I believe).

WARNING!!!!!!! you MUST have your dog tested for heartworm infection before starting ANY heartworm prevention treatment!!! If your dog has an active heartworm infection and is dosed with heartworm preventative, it could possibly DIE.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I haven't tried it as I swap out for grooming with my vet, but you can give to some herding breeds you just have to be sure yours don't have the allergy. I am going to try the ivermectin for my poodles. I know its much cheaper.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
herding breeds are the most common carriers of the MDR gene mutation. They can be carriers (Pos/neg) or Pos/Pos (pass on and have it acting). As a percaution any herding dog (Or cross) should be treated like it is positive unless cleared via testing. The main drug to avoid is ivermectin but there is a long list of other drugs that need to be used carefully or not at all.

I was just talking about this with a vet friend today- (we don't have heart worm in my area yet thankfully but like the tape worms for horses i'm sure it's coming as we're getting milder)

there are two drugs used in hw preventions- one is ivermectin based and one is not

1 - 7 of 7 Posts