Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My spoo was not drinking enough water. I was getting worried, but my vet explained that since he was on a raw diet (which he does magnificently on), that he didn't need as much water.

But one day we went to visit a friend who lived out in the woods. My spoo went gaga drinking water. I had never seen him drink so much water. Whenever my friend came to visit me I asked her to bring a jug, and my spoo gulped it down.

So I started looking at our city water. It used to be wonderful water from Lake Superior, but then the government decided to step in and require things like fluoride, chlorine , and other things be added to make it 'healthy'.

Then I noticed that when I went to my chiropractor, who is a dog lover and tells us to bring our dogs in, my spoo would go bonkers on the water there also. My Chiropractor has large containers of water from an artesian well for his clients to drink.

So I decided I would no longer drink my city water. I now carry around water containers, and whenever I go somewhere where friends have a well, or where there is a spring, or pass by an artesian well, I fill up the jugs, and that is what both of us are now drinking.

I trust my spoo 100% to know what is the healthiest water.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Although there is a difference in taste between different public supplies (the American Water Works Association conducts taste tests at its annual conference), the purpose of chemicals in drinking water is to control for contaminants that affect health. It may be possible to filter tap water to remove the chemicals if that’s where the taste problem occurs.

My tap water is artesian (from a confined aquifer) yet supplied from a water treatment plant . . 40% of the US’ drinking water is from ground versus surface water. I use a filter to remove chlorine.

For those with surface water public supplies, quality may be a real concern. There are unregulated contaminants, and others for which there aren’t tests. Drinking water intakes on rivers are often downstream from a wastewater treatment plant outfall. Dilution is the solution for pollution! Weakening of environmental regulations will worsen this situation.

It’s also possible to have compromised quality in ground water, where a small lens allows infiltration of contamination from the surface (including chemicals that many of us routinely use such as fertilizer).

My personal gripe is with bottled water which often is simply packaged tap water and not subject to the Safe Drinking Water Act testing requirements. Emerging concerns with bottled water (besides the production inefficiencies and problem with creating more plastic waste) is microplastics suspended in the water.

It’s a dilemma for carrying quantities of water, say, to a dog trial site. There aren’t many large non-plastic options. I carry multiple metal flasks to provide enough water for me and my dogs.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes of course we need to be getting water from tested sources to avoid contaminants:) All of the sources I use have been tested.

·
Premium Member
23,194 Posts
Added chlorine and flouride will mostly evaporate out of water if left standing in a pitcher for about 24 hours.

sooterscout, well explained!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Have you tried reverse osmosis water? I used it for years & it did a wonderful job for us. I would mix half & half water from a well that tested safe & that seemed to do the trick for our dogs.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, before I found these wonderful wells I purchased reverse osmosis and filtered water. He drank that more readily than the city tap water, but not as well as what we are using now.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just found this

"2- Be Aware of the Water that Your Poodle Drinks. Many owners do not think about this element. Time to fill the dog's water bowl? Simply turn on the kitchen tap. But doing this can mean filling that bowl with nasty elements that can be very detrimental to the dog's health and potential shorten his or her life span. In MANY areas, there are legal limits of factory run-off, pesticides and bacteria found in tap water. Over the course of a Poodle's life, who knows what terrible effects these things will have and what diseases may result from years of ingesting them. Please play it safe and connect a filtering system to your kitchen tap."

It came from this article which has other health topics about poodles:
Poodle Life Expectancy
Poodle Life Expectancy | Leading Causes of Death

·
Registered
932 Posts
For every contaminant that makes it into the popular media, there are many others that don’t. And yet, the current administration has just weakened water quality regulations.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
A reverse osmosis unit can be installed under the kitchen sink and is not all that expensive. It is certainly less expensive than buying bottled water. We have had one for nearly 20 years. The filters have to be replaced every 3-4 years. We got it when we got the water softener. Our water is incredibly hard - we go through 40 lbs of potassium every week!

So our dogs get filtered water. I don't know if they would drink tap water or not - it's rather bitter with all that potassium in it.

I am amazed that so many people buy water even though their tap water is perfectly safe and does not have a bad taste. I have read that if those bottles get too warm, the water in them can be contaminated. Furthermore, use of bottled water increases the outrageous amount of plastic being discarded.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As I think I have said before, my dog will drink filtered and reverse osmosis water over city water, but if artesian well water is available he will not drink any of those.

I trust his judgement and chose to drink what he does as well. So I go with my (8) gallon jugs every week to the artesian well and fill up the jugs.

I can put down bowls of city tap water, reverse osmosis water, charcoal filtered water, water that has been through both those and other filters , and the artesian well water that I obtain near here. He will choose the later every time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts