Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My agility instructor just had to have his Dobe put to sleep at five years old because a heart problem.

He was telling me today that he is getting another Dobe and a Standard Poodle! He is getting the Standard from a well known Canadian judge who breeds black Standards. Anyway, after coming on this board I have come to realize how important health testing is, so I checked her website and it says absolutely nothing about health testing.

However, when you go to the Dogs in Canada site which I believe is the site for the Canadian Kennel Club - it says under Standard Poodles:

Averina/Crystalton Perm Reg’d, Heather Albritton & Carol Graham
Multiple Best in Show winners. All health testing current. Temperament and health guaranteed.

Now, I suppose once someone contacts her, she will mention health testing, but wouldn't you think it should be on her website? After all, someone might look at the site and reject her dogs because it doesn't mention health testing

Just a thought - not my business really!

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
After all, someone might look at the site and reject her dogs because it doesn't mention health testing

Agreed. I would move on too. although its not required it sure does matter to a educated (semi) buyer.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I find a lot of breeders don't mention health testing on their websites. As long as they look good otherwise, and fit whatever requirements you have from a breeder, then it wouldn't stop me from contacting them. You can also always check yourself by typing in the kennel name to OFA (although even if there's nothing listed, that still doesn't mean they don't test, just that they don't list it online.)

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I like to see it on the website , but I check it on the OFA anyway !!!

I also always ask to see results if they are not listed at the OFA site and I must say that sometimes I got them , but there were instances when I did not, followed by all kind of excuses , including getting results of a dog which name "starts" with the same name but ends differently so they were results of another dog in a kennel who actually DID have that test.

Once found well known breeder who did not do a CERF on a bitch and admitted it actually :smow:.

So, if you are really looking for a puppy that is coming from fully tested breeding stock - check, check and recheck !!!

It is very hard to find breeders who really do all of them - but many are out there , just do not give up looking for them :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Anyway, after coming on this board I have come to realize how important health testing is, so I checked her website and it says absolutely nothing about health testing.

However, when you go to the Dogs in Canada site which I believe is the site for the Canadian Kennel Club - it says under Standard Poodles:

Averina/Crystalton Perm Reg’d, Heather Albritton & Carol Graham
Multiple Best in Show winners. All health testing current. Temperament and health guaranteed.

Now, I suppose once someone contacts her, she will mention health testing, but wouldn't you think it should be on her website? After all, someone might look at the site and reject her dogs because it doesn't mention health testing

Just a side note, I was told she tests and I saw skin punch sites on 2 of her dogs (they were just done).

I have no idea why breeders do not link to the testing on their websites but it would be helpful to the potential buyer. It feels almost like calling someone a lier when asking for proof. I had someone stop returning emails when I asked what kind of testing was done.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I
had someone stop returning emails when I asked what kind of testing was done.
Oh , that happens very often LMAO !!!! Do not feel bad about it - nothing personal - most probably they either did not do all tests or are arrogant and bitchy people and in BOTH instances you want to stay clear from them ; )!

You need to find a friendly and nice breeder who is HAPPY to "talk poodles" with you as well as discuss all health issues possibly involved in a particular line !!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts