Poodle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Poodles are one of the most illness riddled breeds there are and in my honest opinion any breeder who does not do at LEAST hip testing in Standards is doing a disservice to the breed. For the other verities at a minimum knees and eyes should be tested.

Tuesdays parents have had hips and eyes done and I have an email sent to the breeder to find out about any other test they have done.

Tuesday will have her hips done at 2yr and if that's goes well I'll do her eyes, thyroid and vWD before breeding.

:)

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
It's important to note, that young dogs are unlikely to show signs of a hereditary illness. Those things usually show up later in life. Hip problems can be obvious early on by other issues like PRA in the eyes dont show up right away, sometimes it can be years before the problem is detected.
Correct, PRA shows up around 4-6 years of age and that's why it's suggested to test the dogs eyes yearly.

I'm still learning about all the testing that needs to be done but I believe its needed to keep the breed healthy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.