Poodle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I don't know if Jazz's parents had any tests done. I have the sales contract that the very first owner signed when they purchased her. It doesn't mention much about testing and it only garentees the puppy's health for a short time. Even in that short time if the pup happens to be diagnosed with displaysia you are out of luck becuase the garentee doesn't cover that or arthritis... dunno why that is even mentioned at all. She only paid 400 dollars for her aS puppy so I would guess No, she didn't come from tested parents. For that matter from looking at the sales contract I would guess NO, she didn't come from an especialy responsiable breeder. The person I got Jazz from was her second home, so I know nothing about her first owner and I only have the breeders contact info as it is listed on her reg. papers so I know next to nothing about them either.

As a breeder though I would say that it is in your best intrest to buy a puppy from tested parents if you can. I test the tibbies for everything, they don't have as many poss. issues as poodles though. Hips, eyes, knees, are all pretty standard for them. Nobody gets bred or even considered for breeding until those tests are done. It won't garentee your puppy will be free and clear health wise but I beleive you do have better odds. just my 2 cents, as usual :) lol

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
It's important to note, that young dogs are unlikely to show signs of a hereditary illness. Those things usually show up later in life. Hip problems can be obvious early on by other issues like PRA in the eyes dont show up right away, sometimes it can be years before the problem is detected.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.