Poodle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I am wondering - how many of your poodles parents had health testing done?
If you got a puppy from parents that weren't tested, have you regretted it or has your puppy grown and been healthy?
I guess I get a little confused. I've talked to many breeders and I've gotten mixed reviews on the importance of it. I know it can't be a bad thing but is it something that you should absolutely have before you buy a poodle?

·
Registered
912 Posts
:hmmmm:
:pop2:
My breeder wouldnt subject her dogs to that, so I guess I shall find out.

I don't think any of the tests are particularly horrendous - blood test and an eye exam aren't exactly "subjecting" the dogs to anything terrible. Both T's parent have been health tested, but I would have to have a look at their paperwork to find out exactly what for, can't remember right now (definately PRA though).

Personally in Australia it doesn't cost anymore to buy a pup from a testing breeder than a non-testing one so I would always go for the parents that have been tested. Why take any risks!

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I don't know if Jazz's parents had any tests done. I have the sales contract that the very first owner signed when they purchased her. It doesn't mention much about testing and it only garentees the puppy's health for a short time. Even in that short time if the pup happens to be diagnosed with displaysia you are out of luck becuase the garentee doesn't cover that or arthritis... dunno why that is even mentioned at all. She only paid 400 dollars for her aS puppy so I would guess No, she didn't come from tested parents. For that matter from looking at the sales contract I would guess NO, she didn't come from an especialy responsiable breeder. The person I got Jazz from was her second home, so I know nothing about her first owner and I only have the breeders contact info as it is listed on her reg. papers so I know next to nothing about them either.

As a breeder though I would say that it is in your best intrest to buy a puppy from tested parents if you can. I test the tibbies for everything, they don't have as many poss. issues as poodles though. Hips, eyes, knees, are all pretty standard for them. Nobody gets bred or even considered for breeding until those tests are done. It won't garentee your puppy will be free and clear health wise but I beleive you do have better odds. just my 2 cents, as usual :) lol

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Eli parents were not health tested and he seems to be a healthy boy. However, most of the dogs on his mother's side have been health tested and clear of genetic disorder's and hip displasia (sp).

However, when I get another Poodle some day, I will only buy from a breeder that does health testing and I want lines from a proven pedigree. Im meaning that I want a line bred dog that has multiple CH in the pedigree.

Eli is a great dog and I love his size (25 inch tall and 52 lbs at 15 months) but he is not conformationally correct. He is just a GREAT pet! lol

I think I got away from the health testing a little. Oooops! lol

·
Registered
912 Posts
Yep even though there is never any guarantee you'll get a healthy pup tested or no tested parents I figure you can atleast cut down your chances by knowing the parents are OK. I think we'd all agree that if your dogs got sick from a hereditary disease we'd do everything we could to make sure they were treated, comfortable etc ... I just cross my fingers and hope T will not develop anything horrible.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Poodles are one of the most illness riddled breeds there are and in my honest opinion any breeder who does not do at LEAST hip testing in Standards is doing a disservice to the breed. For the other verities at a minimum knees and eyes should be tested.

Tuesdays parents have had hips and eyes done and I have an email sent to the breeder to find out about any other test they have done.

Tuesday will have her hips done at 2yr and if that's goes well I'll do her eyes, thyroid and vWD before breeding.

:)

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
It's important to note, that young dogs are unlikely to show signs of a hereditary illness. Those things usually show up later in life. Hip problems can be obvious early on by other issues like PRA in the eyes dont show up right away, sometimes it can be years before the problem is detected.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
It's important to note, that young dogs are unlikely to show signs of a hereditary illness. Those things usually show up later in life. Hip problems can be obvious early on by other issues like PRA in the eyes dont show up right away, sometimes it can be years before the problem is detected.
Correct, PRA shows up around 4-6 years of age and that's why it's suggested to test the dogs eyes yearly.

I'm still learning about all the testing that needs to be done but I believe its needed to keep the breed healthy.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
We were even able to get our dogs eyes tested at an Akc show. The test only takes a few minutes and if I remember right, it was under $50.00. The eye docs aren't at every show but they do come out occasionally. Its so easy and good to know.

I haven't heard much said about heart testing. Is that something that is over looked in Poodle health testing? Thats another test that is very easy and inexpensive. You shouldn't breed dogs with heart murmurs and I feel that should be a regular test too.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I so agree with you Purple Poodle and if more people only bought from testing breeders then we would be helping eliminate those who are not really breeding to improve the breed. We may never eliminate the problems from poodles but good breeders are doing the best they can to ensure their stock is genetically sound.

·
Registered
616 Posts
if the opportunity arrises to give a dog a good home that hasnt had the proper testing I dont think you should turn it down just because of that. Instead you should be a responsible owner and spay/neuter the dog so that you are not just breeding bad genetics. I am new to this whole thing, so I obviously didnt ask the right questions, but I am smart enough to know not to let my dog pass any potential problems to offspring. I am just praying our new puppy is healthy!!

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
if the opportunity arrises to give a dog a good home that hasnt had the proper testing I dont think you should turn it down just because of that. Instead you should be a responsible owner and spay/neuter the dog so that you are not just breeding bad genetics. I am new to this whole thing, so I obviously didnt ask the right questions, but I am smart enough to know not to let my dog pass any potential problems to offspring. I am just praying our new puppy is healthy!!
Also, there is know telling that your or my dog that came from un-tested parents could be healthy and pass the test's if you or I had testing done. Buying a dog with health tested parents offer's a little piece of mind. Ive seen dogs with tested parents actually die from health issues at an early age. Nothing's for sure and thats the chance you take when getting a dog from anyone.

Even though things like that happen and my Eli may be just as healthy as the $3000.00 health tested dog my friend owns, I still stand behind having dogs health tested prior to breeding.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Also, there is know telling that your or my dog that came from un-tested parents could be healthy and pass the test's if you or I had testing done. Buying a dog with health tested parents offer's a little piece of mind. Ive seen dogs with tested parents actually die from health issues at an early age. Nothing's for sure and thats the chance you take when getting a dog from anyone.

Even though things like that happen and my Eli may be just as healthy as the $3000.00 health tested dog my friend owns, I still stand behind having dogs health tested prior to breeding.
agreed

·
Registered
339 Posts

I so agree too. Both Chloe's parents were tested for several things and we were given copies of all the test and results but, I still worry about her having health issues in the future.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts