Poodle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my life every day, sometimes multiple times a day
For Bea cancer, bad kidneys, knee repair~ CBD oil, cranberry supplement and Dausaquin last we forget special kidney diet
20200303_205706.jpg

Pia who has distachsis, allergies and a neck issue~apoquel, prednisone, Gabapentin and Optixcare plus, not to forget she can only eat fish because of severe food intolerances
20200303_205925.jpg

For those who think hybrid vigor is the bomb
Gracie
Apoquel, Trazodone, Proszac, Pet vision pro
20200303_205319.jpg

Leonard,
my well bred poodle as you can see gets nothing
20200303_211105.jpg

Sometimes genetics is not fair so here's shelter cat Walter Grey megacolon and chronic pancreatitis
Lactulose Cisapride, Gabapentin, prednisone not shown miralax and special GI diet
20200303_205203.jpg

Yep
I've got it down to science takes ten minutes to dispense meds to all

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
You are a wonderful mom taking care of all their needs.

Reactions: twyla

·
Premium Member
4,103 Posts
I'd fit right in with your crew. Take Gabapentin and Trazadone amongst my bipolar pharmacy. Lucky to have Asta to remind me of medication time.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Thanks for sharing this. What an eye opener and it’s good to see what good breeding also achieves with Leonard’s pics. They are blessed to have you

·
Registered
12,473 Posts
And I thought my lot were complicated... They are all very fortunate to have you for their human.

Reactions: twyla

·
Premium Member
6,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd fit right in with your crew. Take Gabapentin and Trazadone amongst my bipolar pharmacy. Lucky to have Asta to remind me of medication time.
I didn't show what I take, through I am down from what used to take in medications, down to one inhaler, a emergency inhaler, nasal spray, antihistamines, no longer take cholesterol meds, blood pressure meds, and anxiety meds though I do loads of relaxation techniques, Beatrice has done more for me in that respect than I ever talk about.

·
Premium Member
6,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all, I posted this because I don't think any lay person understands how complicated it can get properly taking care of an ill pet, I didn't show my calendar tracking the cat's bowel movements or whether nor he has peed.
Predisone dosing has reminders set on my phone.
Because I get busy at work Beatrice's CBD oil has a mid day reminder.

Won't kid you this is expensive, but I made a commitment when I brought each of my pets home. I am not a saint, there are times I hate this but like daily grooming it's all necessary.

For a long time I hated Gracie because she wasn't my choice and so incredibly difficult to manage.

Walter, well I thought this last go around I would have to put him down.

I will get another poodle when Beatrice passes, I have thought long and hard about getting a rescue poodle but there I cannot deal with the thought of another high maintenance pet, I know it might not happen that way.

I do not regret helping my animals, but I do regret not making a better choice purchasing a poodle.

Purebred doesn't mean well bred.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Wow you are a good mama. Your crew is so lucky to have you, many wouldn't take the time nor the expense. You rock!

·
Premium Member
23,162 Posts
twyla you know I admire your devotion to and commitment to doing all that is needed for your crew. More importantly than that though I think your candor about your regimen for all of them bears repeating since it reminds anyone tempted by the song "How much is that puppy in the window" that they should not succumb to cuteness or to a sense of obligation to save something out of guilt and adoption or purchase should be thought about in the context of a crystal ball type of thinking about what you are committing to.

Reactions: Dogs4Life and twyla

·
Premium Member
6,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah well there is a lesson to be learned. I have to embrace this life, it is tiring, wouldn't it be easier if I did things differently well maybe but the animals in my care have no choice.
There was a time I did fostering of cats. Took care of a feral colony of cats.
I am the type that will help the less than agreeable snapping turtle across the road good thing I always wear steel toe boots. Or the time I had to redirect a panicked deer and her fawn around a fence, the momma kept slamming into the fence even though there was an opening three farther along.

I figure if people can learn from I am going through then it's worth it.

·
Super Moderator
3,323 Posts
Twyla, this thread with the medication photos has haunted me this week. I added what you said in Post #1 of this thread, to the sticky thread So You Want To Be A Breeder? in that section (here) so it will hopefully hammer home the point that DNA genetic and other testing of a sire and dam are critical.

I have also seen your newer thread with the photos of Beatrice looking so terribly ill, but I did not post one of those b/c it makes me so sad even though it might be just the wake up call that a clueless, wannabe breeder needs. I will edit and add it to the sticky thread if you think that's a good idea, maybe one where Bea was a puppy and the more recent one. It's up to you.

·
Premium Member
6,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Honestly idiot breeders are going to breed no matter what I say, what I am doing at least I hope I am doing is letting potential puppy buyers that things can go very wrong long term, no one should have to make these choices.
If it should be put any where it should a warning to future puppy buyers.

Any potential future poodle breeders should not be going to an internet forum to learn about breeding they should have a hands on mentor if they are going to do it right.
I say this because my dogs are in varying sorts of pain because of bad breeding practices, I have spent in excess of $16K on just Beatrice
$4k a knee or $8k
$2k on kidney disease diagnosis
$6k on the cancer diagnosis plus surgery. That's a car or, I could have gotten 6 well bred poodles.
And you think Beatrice looks ill now, well she is tired alot of the time, eventually her tumors will ulcerate so much to look forward to.
A majority of her ailments were avoidable through good breeding knees and kidneys, even the cancer... say what??? Well here's the clincher, if it had been a different cancer I couldn't treat it... the state of her kidneys would lead to a poor outcome.
My final advice get a poodle from health tested parents or rescue, don't go get a discount dog

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
As you state, Twyla, it's not just about the cost of the vet bills and meds, but also the suffering of living creatures. It is very hard to watch an animal suffer. Thank you for continuing to educate people on PF.

·
Premium Member
6,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
As you state, Twyla, it's not just about the cost of the vet bills and meds, but also the suffering of living creatures.
No, it isn't just about the money but what looming expense can do.
Pets get abandoned or euthanized, lives get put in disarray even put on hold.
I have been transparent about the expense of owning owning a poorly bred pure bred since Beatrice's first knee surgery.
Future puppy owners should understand that finding a well bred health tested line of poodles, health tested parents is critical.
That low cost pet puppy from down the street can potentially coat cost you well more than a pup from a breeder that does all the appropriate testing and shows their dogs.

Vita as for posting this to the So ya wanna be a breeder sticky, the reason I didn't post photos of my own pets, is that it is supposed to make the reader of this post think about their own future pets

1 - 19 of 19 Posts