Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm debating about getting health insurance for Max. I've come to the conclusion that it doesn't necessarily make financial sense in that I'm not likely to spend more on bills than I would the premiums BUT it would mean that we wouldn't have to limit his health care due to the cost of expensive procedures if something does arise.

Does anyone else have a health policy for their dogs?

·
Registered
163 Posts
In general, it usually doesn't make financial sense to use pet insurance. The better idea is just to put that money into a savings account for emergencies. So much stuff frequently won't be covered and it usually doesn't work out to the persons benefit.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's basically the conclusion I came to. After hearing some of the stories about injured or sick dogs, I will definitely set aside an emergency fund. We never worried much about it before but now vet care is so advanced it can cost a fortune.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
I agree - the premiums are high and so many things are not covered. When I rescued Teddy I spend over $2000 getting him well. We didnt' know to keep him separate from our other dogs and they all got kennel cough. Then he got pneumonia from a shot that they gave him at the shelter because he ws itching - guess why he was itching? He had dog scabies! We had to take him twice a week for shots and bath and thank God the other dogs didn't get that. Now he has scarring of his airways so he is on theopholine twice a day and doing good. No more scabies - he is healthy. My vet says never put a rescue in with your dogs right away. Keep them isolated at least until the first vet visit. Of course we got him on a Friday and by the time we got him to the vet on Monday the others were already exposed. At least they (or mr lol) didn't get the scabies! That was an expensive lesson!

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
we looked at the petsmart one for 20 or so a month or 30 for the biggest. seemed like a deal with "All you get" and then a discount off the doggy-day-care.. not to sure anyone use this ?

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
well that's interesting - I didn't know petsmart had insurance - I will have to check it out to see if it covers all the med. thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts