Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i know he didnt mean it, but my pup mannie has a bad habbit of running up and down any steps, or if we go to the door he will push past everyone and wont back off. Yesterday mannie, my 3 year old son and i were at my moms and i was in the back room painting while my son was in the livingroom with 3 adults, all the sudden i heard him start to cry so i ran to find him. I found him standing outside (the doors was propped open) holding his head and crying. Mannie was standing right behind him not knowing whats wrong. I grabed my son and started checking him over, i found he had hit his head twice on the steps ( which happen to be pure concrete) he had a huge greenish blue egg on his forhead and it was scraped all the was down towards his ear and another big bruise behind his ear. We had to take him to the er where they did an MRI and THANKFULLY he was ok. I know my pup did it and i dont blame him cause i know he dont understand what he is doing, but it has to stop and i just dont know how to make him stop. My son is almost 3 1/2 and still not even 25 lbs hes a very small kid and im so scared mannie will hurt him even worse one day (on accident) I could really use some help, i am in no way thinking of getting rid of him i love him too but if i cant controll this bad habbit he just wont be able to be around the kids much, and he loves them so much i dont want to punish him for something he dont even realize hes doing. Please any advise would be great. Thank you all for reading.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
He needs some obedience training, and it needs to be consistently applied. Mannie needs to learn that he is not allowed to go ahead of the humans, including your young son. If you need to, don't be afraid to hire a professional trainer. Whatever you have to pay will be worth your peace of mind.

In the meantime, I would keep him tethered to you any time your son is not in the same room with you.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He needs some obedience training, and it needs to be consistently applied. Mannie needs to learn that he is not allowed to go ahead of the humans, including your young son. If you need to, don't be afraid to hire a professional trainer. Whatever you have to pay will be worth your peace of mind.

In the meantime, I would keep him tethered to you any time your son is not in the same room with you.
good idea thank you =)

·
Registered
12,489 Posts
How old is Mannie? I agree with the need for appropriate training - it doesn't have to be stern or harsh, there are wonderful methods now that work with even the youngest, softest pup. I have found the UK APDT classes excellent, and the trainers brilliant about giving sensible, useful advice.

If there is one command mine really know it is "Wait!" - very, very useful for keeping things safe around doors, getting out of cars, putting leads on at the end of walks, and when there are children around they want to play with. Don't forget that it won't be enough to teach Mannie to wait at a door when you go through - you will need to generalise it to when anyone goes through, and especially that he needs to be calm around your small son (glad he is OK! - it must have been very frightening for both of you). I think you were very wise not to blame the dog, by the way - you don't want Mannie to be fearful around your son, just careful!

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
You need to apply training daily. If he is rushing everyone - he's been allowed to do this, and I am sure not purposefully. You can even buy DVD's and free training websites online to help aid in getting Manning settled down. If I recall he is still young, but you should address it now.

Glad your son is ok

Also - are you still breeding him?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mannie is still young he just turned one on the 19th of this month, i was planning on enrolling him in an obedience class in july but as of right now the way i was going to pay fell throught so im hoping if i can get some business i will be able to afford it. As for his breeding im only wanting to do it once, and thats IF i can even find a bitch. Standard poodles are REALLY hard to find around here.......please nobody bash me again about breeding him, i did take what everyone else said about how he's not breeding standards but in my eyes hes a good dog and i honestly believe he will produce good pups. And i dont plan on breeding more than the once. Im am really greatful for everyone advise and concerns, it means alot to me, and i will be looking up obedience training today. thank you all again. =)

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
You can practice NILIF - nothing in life is free. Probably you should have been doing this from day one.

The dog doesn't get anything unless he works for it. As someone said "wait" is a good word. He doesn't get to go out the door until he sits and waits. You will have to put him on a leash to teach him. He doesn't get to eat his food until he sits and waits. The humans are first. The humans go down the steps first, the humans go up the steps first. The humans include little humans too!

You can Google NILIF. You will find lots of sites.

If its your dog, then its YOUR responsibility to train him and teach him to be careful. Why you have waited until he is a year old is beyond me.

So you don't want bashing for breeding him. OK. But there are thousands and thousands of unwanted dogs in the world. I don't think adding to the number of dogs being born unless the dog is of top quality in every way - is what a responsible person would do. Enough said.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Heres a start:

How To Train A Dog, dog training tips and techniques for home based dog trainers

Dog Training - Dog Obedience Training - Dog Behavior Training Books

Nothing in Life is Free

This is not bashing, just something I feel obligated to say.

If you do not have Mannie trained by a year old - there are two problems, one, he seems like he might not have the right temperament. And two, most reputable breeders are pretty good at dog training, as they do a great deal of this with a pack of pups for 8-12 weeks. Just food for thought.

I know you want to get him properly trained for his sake and your children so please commit to some daily training of come, sit, sit and stay, heel, down, leave it, off......I would do at least 10-15 minutes a day and get Mannie on a leash too, all the time in the house - this will stop the charging and allow you to do a quick correction.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I am not sure if this comes under the heading of "bashing" but there seems to be a pattern of irresponsibility here!

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
My 2 cents, again not bashing anyone!

I have a year old miniature and only recently managed to get him into a formal obedience class (I had time constraints and there was a waiting list for the late class).

In spite of that, we had done so much work at home that he spent 2 weeks in beginner obedience then got promoted to intermediate.

It is SO easy to do five to ten minutes a day, just on very basic commands if you haven't trained a dog before.

Take him out to play ball, and in between throwing the ball, do a couple of sits and downs, then play with him. Graduate to a few short stays. You have to take the dog out, so might as well spend a few minutes working on 'wait' before you snap on the leash and take him for a walk. When you are preparing his dinner, put him on a down-stay on his mat.

Sometimes, we humans make things too complicated! Training doesn't have to be a dedicated hour every day, especially when you are busy. You can look for training opportunities in the margins.

Good luck with your guy; I'm finding training my poodle a real joy. I've never had one learn so quickly.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I am not sure if this comes under the heading of "bashing" but there seems to be a pattern of irresponsibility here!
Not in my book. It's a very good observation and one I agree with - and hopefully the right choices will made to NOT breed a dog that now, may not even have the correct temperament let alone the other issues discussed in a thread a while back.

Ikes - trying NOT TO BEAT A DEAD HORSE~~:doh:

OP - Please understand it is very hard for some of us that want to help if we can :) but to not speak up especailly when plans are to breed a dog "just cuz" - :smow:

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Not bashing... just wondering if complete health testing will be done on the prospective breeding dogs? That is sooooo important in this breed, and should not be "optional"!

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
i adore my dog. she's absolutely the sweetest bestest most wonderful and pretty standard poodle i've ever seen! and she has full akc registration.

and she was spayed yesterday. There are enough breeders out there working to make the best spoos and it's okay if temperance's line dies with her. it's all okay.
i also have 2 akc registered cairns and they are spayed/neutered too.

as to the behavior w/ your spoo & your child. starting right now since you can't go back to 6 weeks or however old the pup was when you got him he needs to be reminded that he is not the alpha. dogs always wait til humans go through the door.

i'd start training hard core now. on leash. wait til his turn, he has to earn everything.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
My agility trainer has a very good policy -- the dog can do NOTHING wrong. If the dog makes a mistake - its the TRAINER'S FAULT.

So, if your dog knocks your child down the steps -- its YOUR fault for either not training the dog properly and/or not watching the dog when you know it hasn't been trained properly.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Mannie
Cherry Eye... this eye issue can be fixed, but it is considered to be genetic
Mismarked (disqualifying fault in AKC)
Flat feet
Eastie/westie in the front
Low tail set
Submissive/excited peeing (I would not breed this temperament forward)

this is Mannie.. and you would still continue to breed from him :O ???

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I think you know the answer from the majority of people on here.

I absolutely LOVE my dogs. I can't give any poodle comments because I don't have mine until later this month. My puppy's parents are both Canadian Champions but I will get her spayed at six months.

But - my older Shih-tzus father was the top Shih-tzu in Canada in 2003. His mother was a Canadian Kennel Club champion. The breeder was considering keeping Sam for show but as he grew his colour marking was only on one side. So I got him. Would I consider breeding him - no way.

Tyson - well I love Tyson and he is my agility dog. His father was a really nice Canadian Kennel Club champion. He is a wonderful pet but has terrible conformation. I always get my dogs fixed at six months.

Being a wonderful pet does not qualify a dog to reproduce.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Training will help... buy a good book and start doing 10- or 15-minute sessions a day. Also, I second the suggestion of keeping him on a leash when your son is not right there with you. My father-in-law tethered his spoo in the house (and other people's homes) until 18 months... 1 year old is still young (mentally), but the dog is big, so this can cause trouble as you found out.

Also, neutering *may* calm him down some. It couldn't hurt. Please don't breed this dog. We are not bashing when we say this, but coming from a place of good intentions.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
This has been bothering me since I read it hours ago. If you take the dog completely out of the equation, a 3yr old child was left unsupervised near an open door that led to concrete steps! That just seem irresponsible to me. It does sound like the dog needs more training but lack of supervision is what led to this. Rule #1 of dog ownership is "never leave a young child and dog together unsupervised." I would also like to point out that most dog bites come from young, unneutered males.

And what happened to the female you had when you first joined?

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Yesterday mannie, my 3 year old son and i were at my moms and i was in the back room painting while my son was in the livingroom with 3 adults
She said he did leave him with adults - the adults should have been supervising, IMO and they would have gotten an earful from me! :rolffleyes:

I was wondering how the female was doing also. Where is her training at? If the same as Mannie you may need to get them into a class or some private sessions - there are deals out there.

Also, you may want to crate him/ex pens whatever it takes to confine him - it could have been a lot worse for your son.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts