Poodle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is our third day home with our shelter dog, Cooper. I had posted a few days ago asking for support - thank you so much for so many well-wishes and terrific advice.

Still dealing with loose/runny stools but that may be diminishing. No more blood at least. He just finished up the anti-inflammatory and antibiotic, I don't know how much that may have contributed to his condition. He is also on a probiotic paste. He is terribly thin, difficult-to-pet-him-thin. :afraid: Easily visible backbone, ribs and hips... The first two days he gobbled down all food. This morning is a different story, he actually walked away from it before he was completely finished. He goes back now and then and eats a little more. He will be back to the vet next week.

The first day he slept but yesterday he was more awake and came to us repeatedly for touch and attention. He's shown little interest in meeting our resident mini poo Teddy. He appears to have been loved at least at some point in his former life. He started barking today, mostly just at the odd noises of the house also when one of us reenters a room after having been away for awhile. I suppose that is his getting to know us? I also observed him barking at some people we pass when I take him out to potty, tho not every person. I'm not seeing a pattern yet. He so far seems to ignore the other dogs that are out too.

I don't know if he is a poodle mix or not? His tail is not docked, his body is long, but then, so are his legs. I've had a few folks ask me if this is Teddy with shave down??! And yes, they were serious, lol. This little guy is 7lbs soaking wet, Teddy is at least 17 and towers over Cooper.

[/url]Cooper by peabeec, on Flickr[/IMG]

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
It’s good news he’s settling in a bit. Soon he’ll get used to you going in and out of rooms. He still doesn’t know who to expect, but that shouldn’t take long.

What anti-inflammatory was he on? Some require them to bed fed with food: a while meal if possible. Zekefur was on Carprofen and one day I forgot to feed him. He had a little blood in his stool for a day but then cleared up.

Remember at the shelter he’d been around numerous people: probably not the same person twice very often. But it’s awesome he’s coming to you for interaction... awesome sign! Keep up the good work and hope your vet can fix all that is wrong with him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,265 Posts
Wonderful update. Sounds like he’s slowly settling in. You’ll see the most changes over the next few weeks, but the process can take several months.

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
Thank you for the update. I’m glad he’s settling in. Antibiotics can cause diarrhea, so now that he’s off them, he might improve.

He must be barking because he doesn’t know his surroundings. Everything is strange to him and he must feel scared. Slowly introduce him to new surroundings, so he can adapt and feel secure.

It’s hard to tell if he is pure poodle. His face looks a little wide but he could still be poodle. Do you have pictures of him standing up ? Not that it matters, he is a beautiful soul.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the update. I’m glad he’s settling in. Antibiotics can cause diarrhea, so now that he’s off them, he might improve.

He must be barking because he doesn’t know his surroundings. Everything is strange to him and he must feel scared. Slowly introduce him to new surroundings, so he can adapt and feel secure.

It’s hard to tell if he is pure poodle. His face looks a little wide but he could still be poodle. Do you have pictures of him standing up ? Not that it matters, he is a beautiful soul.
Thank you. This isn't the best pic since it is from up above, but you can get an idea of his long body and somewhat, his legs. His body looks off to me also I think because of his thinness. I don't have access to it now, but the shelter picture of him before he was shaved down showed a very curly (and matted) brown coat.

You are right, it doesn't really matter, just fun to wonder about. He is picking up things quick! We had a foster dog some months back, a little younger, not a poodle or poodle mix. Cooper is running circles around her... :act-up:

He's curled up on the couch next to me right now... very sweet.

Untitled by peabeec, on Flickr

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Sounds like he is adjusting well so far, and good to hear he is seeking attention! It must hurt your heart to look at his condition though............just consider these pics his 'before' cuz his 'after' in a few months is going to be awesome! Keep us updated for sure!

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Lots of great updates! Glad he is doing so well and thankful he is in a good home.

If in the future you want to find out more about him, you could do a DNA test. I plan to DNA test my rescue at some point but it's too pricey for me right now. Either way, sounds like he is a great dog and super smart!

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
Good update. He will get better and better as he gets more use to things. Anti-biotics, though they often cause diarrhea, there are some that aren't so troublesome. My vet gave me some plus a pro-biotic and he swore it would help Maurice when he had a little bout of diarrhea just recently that lasted too long. And sure enough it helped him. I forget what the anti-biotic was though. This was a couple weeks back. Anyhow, I'm sure your little cutie pie will get all better, start gaining weight and get more happy in his new home. Kudos for taking such good care of him.

He's really adorable and I can picture him with a little more substance as his health improves and he gets more confident. Pretty color too and lovely poodlely hair in the bird's eye view pic. There you can see better.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
This is a lot of progress in three days! It sounds like he has a nice temperament and it’s wonderful he is seeking your attention. The barking appears to be just reactions to changes in his environment. The fact that he is actively interacting with you and his surroundings in pretty positive ways is very encouraging.

You could try adding a teaspoon or so of canned pumpkin to his meals, the fiber will help solidify the stool and they usually like the taste.

Keep us posted!

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
Thank you. This isn't the best pic since it is from up above, but you can get an idea of his long body and somewhat, his legs. His body looks off to me also I think because of his thinness. I don't have access to it now, but the shelter picture of him before he was shaved down showed a very curly (and matted) brown coat.

You are right, it doesn't really matter, just fun to wonder about. He is picking up things quick! We had a foster dog some months back, a little younger, not a poodle or poodle mix. Cooper is running circles around her... :act-up:

He's curled up on the couch next to me right now... very sweet.

Untitled by peabeec, on Flickr
He looks like a poodle to me and you can tell he will be a very nice, rich color. I think you have a pretty boy on your hands. Brains and beauty for you ! :)

·
Premium Member
9,702 Posts
It’s hard to say what breed he is at this point, but he certainly is a lucky guy to have joined your family. It hurts my heart to see how thin he is, but as already stated these are “before” pictures. Thank you for rescuing Cooper!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It’s hard to say what breed he is at this point, but he certainly is a lucky guy to have joined your family. It hurts my heart to see how thin he is, but as already stated these are “before” pictures. Thank you for rescuing Cooper!
It's really been tough for us too, seeing him so thin - harder than I realized. I am awe of folks who work with dogs like him all the time. He is a love! He must have been cared for at some point and I am so thankful for that.

He loves to go outside, twirls in circles when he sees his leash. Walks are restricted because of his neuter recovery and low weight, but eventually I think he will be terrific going with our mini poo, Teddy.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How is Cooper doing? Any updates?
Doing well, tomorrow will be two weeks! He came down with kennel cough early last week, that's slowed things down somewhat, but he was able to take his first real walk with us just yesterday (had to heal from a neuter surgery too.)

It took a full week, but his poop finally seems normal now and he's eating like a champ. He's slept in his crate with the door closed the last two nights, that was a gradual transition from no prior crate training.

He still seems somewhat untrusting of us, but he is making nice progress. He hasn't felt comfortable enough to play or engage with our mini poo, Teddy. I think it is still early to really know his personality, especially because of his surgery and illness. I'm looking forward to when he feels completely better.

We will start working with a behaviorist next week, there are some issues with resource guarding while on our laps and he has a huge sensitivity to having his front feet touched, though not the back two thankfully. The groomer at the vet appointment said he may have to be sedated to groom?? I really hope not, this is another issue we will address with our trainer.

Here he is, 11 days in, his fur growing in tiny curls and waves. Btw, we found out his given name is Chase and since he responded to it so well, we decided to use it. ?

[/url]Chase, 11 days home by peabeec, on Flickr[/IMG]

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Aww, love the name Chase! I can't see the picture on my phone but I will check my computer later.

Working with a behaviorist is a really good idea. Also be prepared that even when working with a behaviorist that behaviors might continue (resource guarding for one)...especially given the state he was in when he was surrendered.

My parents had a dog that was fearful and aggressive. She had to be sedated at the vet for procedures but was able to be groomed by one specific person. I'm not sure how the person was able to handle her, but she knew the dog since she was a puppy. Maybe the behaviorist will be able to suggest a groomer.

·
Registered
12,496 Posts
He looks much better already. It is very sensible of you to get help from a behaviourist to sort problems early - as you say, it is still very early days, not yet even at the three week mark.

Reactions: peabeec

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
So glad you updated. He is looking so much better and just look how he is filing out. I think you are right, he must have been loved at some point then something happened. I bet in time he will become a happy trusting boy again. And some of those issues with his feet and guarding probably were never addressed in his past life. Hopefully he can over come them.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
He looks good! Very smart to get started right away with his issues, keep us posted.

Reactions: peabeec
1 - 19 of 19 Posts