Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have gotten tired of brushing Annie through coat change (will this ever end?) and decided to put her back in a Miami. On the way down, I figured I'd might as well practice setting the rosettes/jacket for a HCC. I figured I'd fail miserably, but have better luck next time when I actually do it. I really want to have her in a HCC for a while, because of all the friends/family that said, sure you can have a poodle, just don't put it in that stupid show cut. Hmmpft. I'll groom my poodle however I want, thank you very much :p

It went much better than I expected, though Annie would say it took way, way, way too long. I attempted to stack her for the photos, but she's not a conformation dog, and neither of us had a clue what we were doing.

I think the trim is close, but slightly off somehow. It's not a super flattering look for her, she kinda has toothpick legs (50 lb dog on stilts). I also really wish I had a force dryer. One day...

The bevels on her bracelets and tail need more work, her naked sections need a bit more refining, and I haven't trimmed her head yet. She's growing out from a complete shavedown. I'm wondering if she'd look better if I took a comb to her long sections to even them out.

Should the jacket and rosettes have been further forward? Should her feet be shaved a bit higher? I know her bracelets are really short.

Attached a before,and three afters.

What do you think?

Attachments

·
Registered
736 Posts
She is a cutey!
Some of the issues that you are seeing is that her fur on her legs is very short. After it grows more it will probably look much better. She looks really good. I promise that the coat change should eventually change. Lol.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
She looks nice ! It’s a hard clip to do.

I too think you will need more hair for it to look fuller. She looks a little square instead of roundish, but you need more hair to correct it.

Hopefully one of the groomers on the forum will come by and give you tips !

·
Registered
534 Posts
Pat yourself on the back! Hard to believe this is your first time. With poodle grooming as with most things practice brings steady improvement.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, there are two "i"s in critique... Oops...

Thanks you guys - I think it went well because I did it intending to shave it off, so no pressure. If i'd actually thought I'd keep it, my hand probably would have slipped and cut off half a rosette or something.

Hard to believe this is your first time.
Hah! you would not say that if you could see how uneven her shaved areas are... A low resolution picture and a black dog hides a lot of flaws :D

I too think you will need more hair for it to look fuller. She looks a little square instead of roundish, but you need more hair to correct it.
Good point! She kinda looks like the "box poodle" in the front... I just took shears and rounded out the two front corners and further bevelled in her back jacket, which looks better, but still pretty square.

Some of the issues that you are seeing is that her fur on her legs is very short. After it grows more it will probably look much better.
You are completely right - I wonder if I clipped down her back some, if it would make her look more balanced to her legs... If I clipped her back, then she'd also be lower maintenance to keep brushed, and I wouldn't be itching so much to get rid of the rest of the hair. The clip is growing on me,but I am SO tired of combing the hair around her neck and chest, which is presently the worst spot for matting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts