Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fonzie, who's rather beastly regarding grooming/trimming anyway, is especially bad about having his feet shaved. I've tried my regular 10 blade, and I've also tried a 5/8 toe blade. I like the size of the toe blade, but it shaves too closely and has nicked Fonzie in the webbing, due to his constant moving while I'm trying to trim his feet. Nothing like trying to trim a moving target!

Is there a blade that is narrower, like the toe blade, but shaves the same length as the 10 blade? Any help/tips would be appreciated. I've conquered all other parts of his body except his feet. Arghhhhhh! :help:

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
actually the 5/8" toe blade does clip the same length as a 10, it's just crappy and is very prone to nicking feet, as are all the small blades on big clippers. If you want a small set, go for a cordless trimmer, otherwise stick with the big blade.

Reactions: roselake

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
I use a #40 blade too, I go with the grain as much as I can, and only go against it at base of the nail (gently) to get the hair there.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your replies. I'll check out the #40 blade, as well as a less expensive cordless trimmer - any recommendations on this? I can't spring for an expensive cordless b/c I just spent $$$ on my Andis Ultra Edge, the Andis Ceramic 5/8HT blade (I LOVE this blade to shear the coat to an even length all over!), and the crappy 5/8 toe blade.

Also, thanks for the advice to shave with the grain. I was doing it wrong. :doh:

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
shaving against the grain is the usual way to do feet, so don't worry! (just if using a 40 blade it's short enough that you can get away with going with the grain if you want. I prefer it totally nekkid against the grain)

and I love the 5/8HT blade tooooo! I use it so much on my clients! :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts