Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have two or more intact males or females living together? I am trying to find out what it’s like if o were to get a dog then wanted another dog down the road but I would probably opt for ovary soaring spay or vasectomy, which I mentioned before. I tend to be more holistically oriented and the holistic vets that I spoke to recommend these procedures.

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
Does anyone have two or more intact males or females living together? I am trying to find out what it’s like if o were to get a dog then wanted another dog down the road but I would probably opt for ovary soaring spay or vasectomy, which I mentioned before. I tend to be more holistically oriented and the holistic vets that I spoke to recommend these procedures.
Some members do. Talk to lily cd re (Catherine) or Kchen95 I believe also has 2 intact males.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Intact males can get along, I think it mostly depends on the breed. Dogs that hunt in a group are usually dog friendly, even same sex friendly so they can come to together and hunt. Collies are same sex friends, at least in my experience.

I have not had two females, but I have had two intact males who were friends and never got into a spat. One was a B' des Flanders and the other a beagle/fox terrier.

A vasectomy will keep the dog from being a father, but won't lesson his chances of acting out aggression.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Yup I've got two intact males, Vontae (mini) and Shilo (moyen). Vontae was with me for two years before we got Shilo, and the two of them get along very well. The only "conflicts" occur when Vontae growls a bit at Shilo when Shilo gets too close to Vontae's food when the latter is eating, or when they fight over a toy. Other than that, it's no biggie - they wrestle and play all the time; it's a joy to watch!

Kevin

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
Yup I've got two intact males, Vontae (mini) and Shilo (moyen). Vontae was with me for two years before we got Shilo, and the two of them get along very well. The only "conflicts" occur when Vontae growls a bit at Shilo when Shilo gets too close to Vontae's food when the latter is eating, or when they fight over a toy. Other than that, it's no biggie - they wrestle and play all the time; it's a joy to watch!

Kevin
What you’re describing also happens with my male and female, both fixed. So it’s not purely an intact male situation. Although if it were to degenerate, it would probably be worse with two males.

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
I can only tell you my experience, and not a general or typical thing. I had an intact male chihuahua that was 1.5 years old, when I got an 8 week old chi mix puppy. The older one always had to be in charge, but all was ok until the puppy was sexually mature at around 7+ months old.

What happened, happened suddenly. They got into a fight for no reason. It wasn’t over food, toys or my attention. They simply looked at each other and lunged at each other. It was a very severe fight with both dogs being injured.

I separated them, waited a couple of hours and let the puppy out of the bedroom. As soon as as he saw the other, right back at it they went. Within 24 hours I had a rescue come get the baby. They couldn’t tolerate each other at all! If I came out of the room carrying the younger one, the older one would just stay at my feet and whine and whine. If I got close to putting hm on the floor, he was attacked by the other one.

Like I said, it’s just my experience, but I will never again have two, same sex, unaltered dogs in my home. I’m impressed other people have had little or no problems with it, but I’ve also heard too many other stories like mine.

I do wish you the best of luck with whatever you decide. By the way, the puppy was 25% chi and 75% tpoo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Jo..I've had similar experience in past plus my GSD marked everywhere, including in the house. WE didn't even notice at first because it was such a small amount but it made the house smell. It was a long time before I had another intact male, then I had two Rottweilers and I had to place them else where. Which was my intent anyway, I took them in when they couldn't find homes it was not good they worked as a pack also one ay each had a kitten between them. Luckily I supervise saw and corrected the situation before anyone got hurt. I think though if you are trained and know your dogs you can make it work and there may be times they need to be separate. If your inexperience I would not .

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I have 2 intact males that get along great (though they are of very different sizes which I thin also helps). I know a few friend with multiple intact females that fight and do damage to each other but I know people with multiple females that do fine together. I don’t really know any multiple male homes with fights but I know more people in the show world that have multiple females than multiple males.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts