Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my puppy on Sept 7, but the breeder did not have her papers yet. Prior to picking up my puppy, the breeder send me a confirmation email from AKC that she had sent in her paperwork and the litter papers would be sent out as soon as it processed. When I picked up my puppy, I filled out my address on an envelope for her to use to send the papers. 6 weeks later and no papers. I have sent multiple emails and left voice messages, on 9/15 the breeder did respond and said she had the papers. I expected them in the mail the next week. Nothing, and no other email or voice mail has been acknowledged. AKC said they could not do anything, but I could file a complaint with the BBB or Attorney General of the State. I guess I feel if I do either of those, I'll never see her papers.

Is there anything I can do?

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
A lesson learned.....

Unless agreed to beforehand (some breeders hold papers until evidence of spay/neuter) then a buyer should insist on getting the papes when they pay for and pick up their puppy.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Are you local enough to go by their place? I'd try that route, or maybe at least bluff it.

Can the AKC confirm if they received notification of the litter?

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
A lesson learned.....

Unless agreed to beforehand (some breeders hold papers until evidence of spay/neuter) then a buyer should insist on getting the papes when they pay for and pick up their puppy.
Agree 100%, this is like the oldest trick in the book. I suspect there might not even be papers to get. Did you see the parents' papers, do you know their registration numbers? Could the AKC confirm that she actually registered the puppies? I would call them back and see about talking to someone else. As with all customer service, some people don't really know what they are talking about and some will tell you half truths just to get you to go away. I don't see any reason why she wouldn't have the papers when you picked up your pup. Did you find her through an ad? If so, do have a copy of it or can you get one? I would do that and give her a certain amount of time to send the papers or a partial refund. You paid for an AKC pup, you deserve the papers or a price adjustment.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Wow sorry to hear that you are having a hard time. Well If you give her another deadline and she fails to follow up. I suggest going to small claims.Stating that you paid for an AKC dog and whatever amount you paid for her. And ask for a partial or total refund, she will be served. If she fails to even show up you automatically win and she can have a lean put on he/she important items ( like here car lol). I don't know what state you live in but I would look into it, and find out your rights.

I almost had to do this with 2 cat breeders long story lol.:eek:hwell:

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
bpk, did you ever get your papers? I agree w/ your advice, if they sell an animal as registered, then they should produce papers, or give some sort of refund. I may be jaded, but I tend to think if there are papers to be had, they will be given when when you pick up the puppy (or kitten).

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
bpk, did you ever get your papers? I agree w/ your advice, if they sell an animal as registered, then they should produce papers, or give some sort of refund. I may be jaded, but I tend to think if there are papers to be had, they will be given when when you pick up the puppy (or kitten).
Yeah HC we got the papers the breeder we dealt with was a real B1tch ! We offered her one last kitten to take and if she said no to it , we where going to take her to small claims. Finally she said she wanted the kitten. I would never work with her nor buy cats from this breeder again and she is one of the top american bobtail breeders.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
That's good that you got the papers (not the she was royal b*tch), I think most people never see the papers.
Yeah I am still surprise we got them it took us damn near 3 years to get them :wacko:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts