Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been feeding D**k Van Patton's Natural Balance in Ultra Premium formula dry food, and I also give half a can of rice and lamb food to my dog every day.

I've been looking at switching to one of these options for the dry food:
Taste of the Wild Pet Food TOTW High Prairie Canine Formula
Petcurean Go Natural Grain Free Endurance
Naturapet Innova EVO

Has anyone tried one of the 3?
If so, did you like the results?

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I fed TOTW to my terrier mix DB and she did fine on it, however it did really dry out her skin. I'm thinking she was allergic to something in it. Wouldn't surprise me since she's allergic to grass, too. (A dog... allergic to grass. You heard me right.)

My mom happily feeds EVO to her dogs and they do awesome on it. My sensitive tummied poodle couldn't handle it, though, and for lack of better words... made his poop... crumbly. As in, he couldn't actually get it out.

Natura recently sold to Procter & Gamble... so I think people are expecting the formula to change.

Heard good things about the Go Natural, though!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for letting me know what you've heard about the foods. I'm wanting to switch from the Natural Balance, but Phaedra has a sensitive stomach. While I would switch the food gradually, always good to know when it might be problematic. I still may give Evo or TOTW a try.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Savannah has been on TOTW High Prairie since last month and so far she's had no problems whatsoever on it. She did really great on EVO back when it was available locally. Natura has been sold to Procter and Gamble and while they insist that they won't be making any changes I'm not sure how trustworthy they are unfortunately.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
TOTW HP worked great compared to other brands I used for the weak stomachs.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
why do you want to switch from natural balance ultra prem? it's not a bad feed and not a bad price point.

innova has been sold to p&g which sux imo.

i do like wellness a lot and will put all 4 dogs back on that once my 2 puppies are eating adult quantities ... right now they eat A LOT

·
Registered
109 Posts
My Pearl is on TOTW as well as my shihtzu Daisy; however, my old standard Beau cannot eat TOTW it is just too high in protien for him, he has to have grain in his food.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I feed Taste Of The Wild Pacific Stream and my dogs are doing great. It really helped Stella with her runny poo problem and I like that all three dogs are on the same food.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was able to pick up the Taste of the Wild Prairie in canned and dry form today. So I mixed that in with Phaedra's current foods. So far no trouble.

Thanks for all the feedback about the foods!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
why do you want to switch from natural balance ultra prem? it's not a bad feed and not a bad price point.

innova has been sold to p&g which sux imo.

i do like wellness a lot and will put all 4 dogs back on that once my 2 puppies are eating adult quantities ... right now they eat A LOT

I know that Ultra Premium Natural Balance is good, but when I started researching it seemed like the 3 brands I mentioned were better quality foods, which is why I thought it would be good to switch her.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
oh i understand where you are coming from. good food is such a constant ponder in my existence whether it's for dogs, cats, or me.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, I always want to do whatever I can. I even tried to do the BARF diet for Phaedra for a while, but it just was very difficult for me to manage.

·
Registered
187 Posts
My mom's collie had bad dandruff when she brought him home, and it cleared up immediately on TOTW. He's been doing fantastic on it.

I have had Flash on TOTW before and he did well on it. We switched to Innova Evo for availability reasons, but since it has been sold to P&G I'm thinking of going back to TOTW. We've also tried Wellness Core, which Flash was picky about eating, and Natural Balance. I can't honestly say why I stopped NB, it was just kind of a gut feeling.

·
Registered
192 Posts
What was it that made those choices better than the NB? I feed NB, but not the same one. I feed the LID sweet potato and venison (I have a highly allergic cocker spaniel a well as my spoo. I tried wysong, but the cocker did horrible on it, so I switched both to make it easier.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What was it that made those choices better than the NB? I feed NB, but not the same one. I feed the LID sweet potato and venison (I have a highly allergic cocker spaniel a well as my spoo. I tried wysong, but the cocker did horrible on it, so I switched both to make it easier.
I was feeding NB because a few groomers I know recommended it.
I don't think there's anything wrong with it, but I started researching to see what was considered the best food out there, and I stumbled upon a forum that had all kinds of dog food evaluations. NB was rated 4 out or 6, pretty good. But I was curious about the ones rated 6 out of 6. I talked to some other dog friends of mine and they said that the TOTW & the other two were really good. Additionally I noticed that the TOTW had no grain in it and higher amounts of protein. I had been feeding NB because of it having higher amounts of protein.

Right now I'm slowly transitioning from NB to TOTW, because Phaedra has a very sensitive tummy. So far she's loving it, which is great.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts