Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I had a toy poodle for ten years but she was already 9 when I got her, so I missed all the puppy times. I recently got a brand new mini poodle and all the puppy stuff is scary and new. She is an apricot w two shades of similar coloured hair but in the last month developed this dark brown spots. Hair is different texture and getting bigger. Much darker? Has anyone seen this? Vet, who is very laissezfaire said not to worry but i am. Have you seen this? Should I see another vet. Thanks for any input ❤

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I haven't personally had this experience, but I've heard of similar things happening when a dog has some kind of injury to the skin. Could be scratching, or scraping it on furniture or something. The hair can grow in darker but it fades back to normal over time. Usually seems to occur with the light colored poodles. I'm sure others will give input.

·
Banned
7 Posts
Its either she have allergy and that cause the loss of hair and yeah some wounds that if treated properly the hair color will get to normal again

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Have you asked her breeder about it. Could it just be coloring perhaps of new growth? Perhaps an minor injury and now the hair is just growing back? Is she possibly a mix? As long as her skin looks good I'd not be too worried but I would talk to h er breeder perhaps they will have an explanation.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Hello everyone! I had a toy poodle for ten years but she was already 9 when I got her, so I missed all the puppy times. I recently got a brand new mini poodle and all the puppy stuff is scary and new. She is an apricot w two shades of similar coloured hair but in the last month developed this dark brown spots. Hair is different texture and getting bigger. Much darker? Has anyone seen this? Vet, who is very laissezfaire said not to worry but i am. Have you seen this? Should I see another vet. Thanks for any input ❤ View attachment 463050 View attachment 463051

·
Registered
533 Posts
It’s either from a bug bitor scratch or clippers cut. The red is guard hairs that creams and apricots have . It may take awhile but the hair will grow back normal.

·
Registered
123 Posts
We had a faded black girl with a scar that was a perfect, rich black. Her scar never did fade.

·
Registered
351 Posts
It looks a lot like what I see when I shave animals that have mats. That or an older clipper burn, but I would think you would have noticed the clipper burn earlier.

·
Super Moderator
3,344 Posts
Hello everyone! I had a toy poodle for ten years but she was already 9 when I got her, so I missed all the puppy times. I recently got a brand new mini poodle and all the puppy stuff is scary and new. She is an apricot w two shades of similar coloured hair but in the last month developed this dark brown spots. Hair is different texture and getting bigger. Much darker? Has anyone seen this? Vet, who is very laissezfaire said not to worry but i am. Have you seen this? Should I see another vet. Thanks for any input ❤ View attachment 463050 View attachment 463051
It's hard for me to tell in the last photo if only the hair is dark, or if the skin is also dark. Like Starvt said, it reminds me too of where a matt was, or a clipper burn. If neither applies and the skin is darker in those areas, I'm wondering about an under the skin parasite infection.

I'd probably take mine to another vet with expertise in dermatology.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts