Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm kindof scared, but I may have to fly Paris to her stud when she comes into season. If I drove it would be a 26 hour drive, and there is no way! The stud owner ships puppies to new owners often so she isn't worried at all.
What do you do? Have you shipped? What airline to choose?

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
It kinda worries me, I don't think I personally could trust anyone enough to
ship them my dog, I would be so worried about her. :(

I've never shipped anything live before, so I am not good with advice
in that area. :p

The owners of the stud doesn't ship out cooled semen do they?
That could be another option...*shrug*

·
Registered
627 Posts
Having worked for an airline and seen the raging incompetence of the ground crews... No way. Never. I know it's common in the industry but I've seen the noise, the chaos, extreme temperatures, the careless way the ground crews handle the "cargo". Most of the airlines are lucky to get a ground employee with a pulse, much less one without a criminal record. I'm not sure what their actual safety records are regarding live cargo. I'm sure it's not that bad. I guess I mostly worry about the psychological trauma. It's like anything I guess. The more you know... I'm sure if I spent enough time at pig farms, I might become a vegetarian. Sometimes ignorance is nice...

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They prefer to have a natural breeding to AI, IF we do shipping It will be a direct flight with no layovers, no plane changes and I would be there to see her loaded. They would be there to see her unloaded.

I have talked to several of the owners of puppies shipped to them from this family and they say it's a very reputable breeder. They have a highly respected training school for hunting poodles.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I have experience with shipping dogs. We have had puppies shipped to us and we have shipped out. However, they were all 10 wk -16 wk old puppies. Yes we have a lot of friends that ship and fly there dogs to show's and to breeders. Never have I heard of anyone dogs being injured or tramatized from it yet. I do think it will be really hard on Paris being a adult dog flying to be bred though. Poodle's are a sensitive breed.

I personally wouldn't fly my bitch anywhere to be bred when you can get the semen sent to you. Not only that but when she gets there she may not want to be bred. Lots of bitches are aggressive breeders and you wont know until its time. What are they going to do then.....muzzle her and hold her down while there male mates with her. There are lot's of things to consider that COULD happen to your dog. Im not nervous about dogs on plane's but what could happen when she is there. The reason most people have the bitch come to them is because when the male is out of familiar teritory they aren't always interested on breeding. Why in the world are they giving you a hard time about sending semen? Thats less stressfull for all parties envolved ecspecially your bitch.

You have to let me know what they are saying. Im irritated they are giving you trouble. Errrrr lol

·
Registered
329 Posts
I thought the stud always came to the bitch. But who am I to think, LOL! I have no experience in any of that. Anyway I couldn't imagine shipping Sam anywhere, If I were in your shoes I think I'd drive and be there to supervise if there was no other choice.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
they aren't giving me trouble over it. We haven't worked out any details. We'll come up with something, it's just in the 'what if' stage. I always get the cart before the horse!

Paris has her last test today! For her CERF! shew... Done!

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
they aren't giving me trouble over it. We haven't worked out any details. We'll come up with something, it's just in the 'what if' stage. I always get the cart before the horse!

Paris has her last test today! For her CERF! shew... Done!

Ok good. Im glad to hear your not getting any hassle from them. If for some reason he gets sent to you make sure you have someone around that is experienced. Sometimes you have to help the male get it where it needs to go and even assist through the action (which is quite messy) Then when they tie you need two people to keep them still until she releases him. Im sure you already know all that but its important to get it done right the first time rather then it not taking or having trouble.

Hope the last test comes back good and good luck on what you decide to do about the breeding.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Because I am known to be paranoid I would want to be there with the bitch to make sure she was bred to the stud I chose, that they tied and all is well. I would suggest you either drive the 26 hours or have the seaman shipped ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts