Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about all the standards, and even with the inactive ones I've met, they're not overweight. I even googled 'overweight standard poodle' and only came up with one legit looking pictures, the rest were just fluffy. Though, if I put in lab or beagle.. I got a much more wide response.

Do standards have weight problems at all? Lots of dogs can get obese just on dog food and no exercise, but I'm thinking you'd have to like.. feed bacon grease to a poodle with it's meal to make it chubby. Hehe. All the standards I've ever seen were always stream line and swan like in appearance and movement.

Not that I want to make my future dogs obese, I'm just curious about the topic.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Its probably because most spoos are extremely active.
My one just loves running, she just goes and goes and goes....

·
Registered
329 Posts
Unfortunately yes! Sam is about 10-15lbs (maybe 20) overweight. He is very inactive and has been on steroids for over a year. We have tried everything to get the weight off him and it just isn't happening. So we just keep trying and hope he doesn't gain more. He can't really do alot of exercise so we try to get him moving as much as he can and we replace some of his food with green beans. He also doesn't get regular doggy type treats, instead we give him fresh green beans and chunks of carrots, things like that.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Have you had his tested for thyroid disease? It can be previlant in standards.
Yes he has been tested for everything under the sun. He has some kind of autoimmune problem, but they don't know what exactly it is. We keep him on the lowest dose of prednisone possible to keep him comfortable. We have 5mg tablets and just watch him closely and deal them out as needed. Right now he is averaging about 5mg every other day, but it fluctuates and sometimes he needs 10mg a day to be able to get up and down and walk around without pain. Not an ideal plan by any means, but since every test he has comes back negative, there doesn't seem to be any other way. And as long as he is getting the correct dose of the steroid he is happy and seemingly healthy.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Im sure they have, but as he is a poodle has he been tested for Addisons Dz?
I'm not sure if he was specifically tested for Addison's or not, he did have tons of blood tests which all came back normal. After doing tons and tons of tests and discovering that prednisone seemed to be the only thing that helped his symptoms we decided with our vet that even if we did a bunch more tests and finally came to a diagnosis, the treatment for that diagnosis would more than likely be longterm steroids we decided to stop trying to find the exact cause and focus on making him feel better. It makes me nervous to have him on them for so long, but his quality of life just became the most important thing for us. Especially since some of the tests they were holding off on would be getting very invasive or require him to go off the steroid for accurate results and that would mean making him live in pain. We just can't bare to do that to him.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
The steroids are what is making him gain weight. It is a common side effect. Nothing you can do about it.

What type of auto-immune problem does he have?

·
Registered
201 Posts
LOL Beau looks huge, but he is mostly hair. But still he is 4.5 pounds. He is a miniature. I wonder if there is a way to trace there heritage to see what their parents looked like?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
R U sure he is not a toy? I'm not sure but I think that a toy can be up to 9 lbs. and after that I thought that they were minitures, then the large ones are standards. Not sure what weights determins the type of poodle though. But I do know that the smallest is toy, then miniture then standard.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
The type of poodle is determined by height from the shoulder to the floor as follows:

Toy less than 10" (usually 4-8lbs)

Miniture 10-15" (usually 12-18lbs)

Standard 15-21" (usually 45-65lbs)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts