Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That other thread got me thinking. I wonder how many people have been deceived in some way or another by a breeder. Even if you didn't pay for and receive a puppy, people can still lie and hide information from potential buyers.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Yes I have by 3 different American bobtail breeders !

·
Registered
59 Posts
Before buying our Airedale, we were misled by another Airedale breeder. Luckily, we refused to sign the contract on sight and when we got it home, found lots of issues that she then refused to compromise on. We feel like we had a lucky escape with that one!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Yep.

The breeder I got Tuesday from, Tytan's Standard Poodles. She was sold as a Tuxedo ($300 more) which she is clearly not and was sold with the guarantee she would be a dark brown which she is definitely not! Tuesday was given to me by a really good friend who bought her from Tytan's. I got Tuesday at 11 months old, about two months later Tytan's fell off the grid.

I was duped when I first started out in rabbits (I was 12) but after paying $40 for a "show quality" Netherland Dwarf and got dumped at every show I went to I wised up. Through out the years of show rabbits I had many, many rabbit breeders try to sell me sub par stock.

Anyway with all of the deception out their I have given up trying to fine a show puppy.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Yep.
I was duped when I first started out in rabbits (I was 12) but after paying $40 for a "show quality" Netherland Dwarf and got dumped at every show I went to I wised up. Through out the years of show rabbits I had many, many rabbit breeders try to sell me sub par stock.
sounds like what happen to me and my sister ! we where fresh out of HS when we started with the cats ! many breeders deceived us because we where young and naive.

now since we moved onto the dog thing I get leery with contracts ! I also now talk to a breeder for 1 plus years until I feel I know them enough to trust them. I also research everything now also !

·
Registered
681 Posts
I was misled by a few breeders before I found the one we're going with now. She has proven champs and the only problem with our pup is his un-descended testicle. The others claimed to do health checks, etc but couldn't provide the test results when asked.

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
The "breeder" from whom Katy bought Meau told us lots of stories but we found out later she was a byb of the worst sort. When Katy found Stephanie, she explained that she had two litters (two different dams, one stud) but that these breeding dogs were also her family's pets and they hunted with them and didn't overbreed, blah, blah, blah. Katy found Meau when she was just 4 weeks old, so she had to wait a few weeks before being able to pick her up (we wanted Meau to be with her mom, Candi, until the puppies were 8 weeks old, but Stephanie sold Candi when the pups were just 6 weeks old - THAT pissed me off!)

During our waiting period, I kept bugging Stephanie for pictures of the babies, but she always had excuses (couldn't find her camera, camera wasn't working, etc.) finally, she sent a couple of teeny, tiny pictures of a few black and cream puppies (I found out later that she "lifted" the pictures from PooPla's website - as well as stealing the picture of what she said was her stud, but it wasn't - it was PooPla's dog!! She actually used that picture on the online classified ad that she placed; advertising him as her stud... She was a piece of work!)

Katy had only just turned 18 when she bought Meau, so she was happy to find such a good "deal" at $350 (Stephanie priced her puppies differently by gender and by color so, Meau being a brown girl, was her most expensive puppy - but still within Katy's budget) The prices for the other puppies started at $250 (black or cream males) to $300 (black or cream females)...

When Meau turned about 12 weeks old, we started noticing ads on the local on-line classifieds that the puppies were now all $100!! (Clearance puppies!!!) :( Stephanie didn't care if Katy spayed Meau or not (although if Katy wanted registration papers, Meau's price would've been more) :fish: Luckily we're responsible pet owners and Meau was spayed as soon as she was old enough; I'm sure not all of Meau's siblings were as fortunate since Stephanie was selling $100 spoo puppies with no restrictions on breeding them (although they probably still didn't come with papers - but why would doodle breeders care?!) Grrrrrrr!

As time went on, we found out that Stephanie sold all her "family pets" aka her standard poodles, but was still breeding Great Danes, dachshunds, cats, goats, etc... pretty much everything that had a uterus at her house was having babies. Blah!

Katy's experience with Stephanie is what caused me to do the amount of research I did to find Lucybug - I wasn't going to put myself into the same situation; and I had a little bit more than $350 to spend on a puppy, too.

My experiences with Lucy's breeder have been 100% positive - I'm SOOOOO glad I did my research. I also have a little more patience than an 18 year old girl who sits in a room with 20 4-week old standard poodle puppies! I was able to wait (almost) patiently for Lucy's mom to be bred, to gestate, deliver, and raise a litter of beautiful babies! I would do it all over again, if/when I'm ever looking for a new baby.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I am regularly lied to about health testes - about which ones were done and what were the results !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:fish:

When I insist over and over I either get results of another dog that starts with same name (oooooooooh yeeeaahhhhh) , or I get the stupidest excuse like :" Oh I just never got to do that- lines are so long for CERF on the show grounds :doh:" etc.

AND , yes - it was VERY famous line in question !!!!! Same breeder "forgot to mention" that 3 pups were carriers for NE also . although she was asked about that over and over. When I finally asked for a CERF of at least a Stud - I got back answer that it was done in Canada and she can't find the papers and it was followed by a "Newspaper " clip of her being "so and so" in the poodle world - like sending me a warning : " Who do you think you are to question me" !!!!????

I was disgusted !!!!!

And that is only ONE example. I can go on and on.... The point is - most lies to me were about health status and tests done !!!!!

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
I have had two very bad experiences with other breeders. One was before I owned Holly and was her foster Mom, sharing on a litter and expenses. I ended up taking her original owner to court over it, but just one lie after another. My Mom also had an agreement with these people and had the exact same experience, and was in the process of seeing it go to court when my Mom died.

The second was the owner of the stud dog on MY first litter. WOW....c-r-a-z-y!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If someone who has been around breeding as long as me and my Mom were could be screwed over the way we were, I pity the average puppy buyer, trying to find someone who will honour their word, and live up to the agreements that are in place.

I was raised NOT to lie. I also have been hurt enough myself to NEVER try to pull one over on someone who is buying a baby from me. The way I see it, it will always come back and bite you in the bum. Most people who buy one Poo usually end up buying more in the future. I would hope coming back to me would be a consideration. But if I do not treat people right, they will not be coming back here, will they? THAT wouuld say a lot about the way I do business!!!

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Yes. (not recent at all - love Gloria)

BUT it was my own fault, I guess. This is why I am thankful for this forum, I am learning a good bit here (about our spoos) and I know where I would not go or recommend some to go in regards to a good poodle.

·
Registered
448 Posts
BUT it was my own fault, I guess.
------
Hate to say it, but this is true. If people spent the time needed to check out a breeder really well, they shouldn't have to deal with trouble ahead.
Some are just in such a hurry... it's not the puppy you should be looking for, it's the breeder and wait till they have a puppy that is right for you.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
------
Hate to say it, but this is true. If people spent the time needed to check out a breeder really well, they shouldn't have to deal with trouble ahead.
Some are just in such a hurry... it's not the puppy you should be looking for, it's the breeder and wait till they have a puppy that is right for you.
This is so true!!! People do need to develop a relationship with a breeder. So many people start looking and want a puppy now. What's the rush?

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
------
I am shocked by this statement honestly. You make it sound as if people that want a quality dog have all the time in the world to interview (phone calls I've done have taken hours at a time), travel, get invested in a person, spend money going to where the breeder lives, watching them at shows, and it be for nothing if they turn out to be dishonest. And how are you supposed to find that out? Are you going to ask them for their W2s or are you going to do background checks on all of the people that you invest time and money into just to be sure they aren't liars and cheats? Then if they turn out to be not what they seem, oh let's just chalk that up and move onto someone else? What happened to a code of ethics, honesty, maybe a little faith in another human being? Byb aren't the only people that lie to buyers. Those big name breeders with lots of wins and lots of champions in the front of their dog's names lie to people too and then what are you supposed to do? If someone in their position would lie to someone wanting a pet, who then do you trust? I never in my life thought this much effort would have to be spent buying a family pet. Maybe some people should really take the advice a really rude breeder gave me, go to the shelter and get a dog that needs to be rescued because at least you won't have someone lie to your face when you hand them 1500+ dollars. If more of that started happening and there were less homes for the breeders that want to dump puppies/dogs they no longer wanted, they'd think twice about being deceitful to buyers.

Saying that it's the person's fault that was lied to is like saying it's the woman's fault that pissed off her husband when she was beaten. It's not the innocent person's fault when they are mistreated, it's the abuser, plain and simple.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Kpoos, you shouldn't be shocked.

Say for instance you want to adopt a child. How much time would you spend on getting the right adoption agenciy, lawyer, if from another country all the additional paperwork and travel to this country? You probably wouldn't spend weeks or months but more likely years in finally being able to bring a wonderful new family member home.

The point is taking the time. It produces a much greater reward. Like a life long friend that loves the breed. Or many new friends and acquaintances who have the same love of the breed.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Kpoos, you shouldn't be shocked.

Say for instance you want to adopt a child. How much time would you spend on getting the right adoption agenciy, lawyer, if from another country all the additional paperwork and travel to this country? You probably wouldn't spend weeks or months but more likely years in finally being able to bring a wonderful new family member home.

The point is taking the time. It produces a much greater reward. Like a life long friend that loves the breed. Or many new friends and acquaintances who have the same love of the breed.
I have talked to several breeders for years and gotten to know them and I was still deceived.

I think it does not matter how long you know someone or how quick you know someone. You just need to find HONEST people period.

I also think you best bet to find out about a breeder is ask for references and ask to talk to these references this means other breeders , customers and even asking people on a forum.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't equate adopting a child with buying a puppy, sorry they are very different things. I do think time is a good thing but even with time, people will lie to you. If someone is going to be deceitful they are regardless of how much time you spend with them. The thing is that you will find it out and realize how much time you just wasted.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
The thing is that you will find it out and realize how much time you just wasted.
OMG this is the thing that really pisses me off you wasted the time getting to know some of these nut jobs and they still turn out BAD.

I have my own list of rules on how to tell if a person is honest too. Every since I been burned by the cat breeders I have learned such much on how to find a sane honest breeder.

Right now I have been talking to a few breeders for about a year now and I still don't feel comfortable getting a dog from said breeder because of a few red flags.

I for one am in no rush. I had 3 pups sold from up under me ! when I was trying to make a decision about getting them all three breeder just sold pups even thought they said they would like them to be sold to a show home working home etc......

it seems like $$$ speaks louder than words in this economy right now.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts