Poodle Forum banner

Has your poodle ever hurt you?

4K views 43 replies 19 participants last post by  PeggyTheParti 
#1 ·
Unintentionally, of course.

In a freak accident today, Peggy bonked me HARD on the eyebrow—bone on bone—and I'm swollen and headachey. She was so worried right after it happened, bless her poodle heart. She carefully inspected it with her nose and has not left my side since.

The last time I can remember being injured by a dog was when my childhood German Wirehaired Pointer abruptly crossed in front of me while we ran, sending me tumbling over the leash and onto the sidewalk. Can still remember those bloody knees. I think an accident like that might shatter me now!

#2 ·
Noelle was going for the dumbbell and bit my arm. Left a bruise for a few days. She felt horrible, probably because I roared at her. She slunk around for two days. "Is you still all angry? I still sorry." Turned out to be a blessing in disguise. She stopped lunging for the dumbbell after that. Noelle very carefully lets me take it from her and waits to be signaled to return to heel position. No snapping at the dumbbell.

Sorry about your noggin. Hope it feels better.

#3 ·
Had one of my Standards fracture my orbital socket years ago. We were playing and I was bending down and she was jumping up and she hit me square on the bone of the socket with the point of her occiput. Got a bump filled with fluid about the size of an egg and then as things progressed, the mother of all black eyes LOL..Also had another Standard break a finger years ago too...Nothing in recent years thank goodness LOL.....

Reactions: Asta's Mom
#4 ·
I had a bruise just below my neck that resembled a hickey from her paw when she jumped up on my bed misjudging the distance. That took a long time to heal and finally disappear - worst part was it showed with all my shirts even ones that were crew necks.
I’ve also been bonked by her nose a few times when playing.

#7 ·
I've been taking Advil, but might need to throw some Tylenol at it soon. An extremely unpleasant place to get bonked! Right on the brow bone, and the top of my eyelid, too. Still have no idea what part of her made contact with me. Poodles are so boney!

I'm sorry your ankle still gives you grief. I've definitely had lingering shoulder pain after a sudden hard pull. Since switching from a leash to a climbing rope, this has been less of an issue. It has the very slightest give to it, and also slides so nicely through my hands while being bulky enough to provide a good grip.

#14 ·
Merlin has bit me, in the first year, before I knew him well enough. I didn’t know then he panicked when he felt anger. I picked him up, I was mad at him, I don’t remember why. I wasn’t going to hurt him or anything but he felt my energy and got really scared and bit.

I let him down quick and that was the last time I gave him the chance. Now I know better...

#17 ·
When Asta had those needle teeth, he caught me more then once. I still have fine white fine lines on my arms from when he used to jump up on me. Thanks to Lily Cd Re I now have have taught him to jump up on command and will not jump up even when he is excited. When he settles some, we do jump on command. This is one of the finest rewards for Asta so I use it quite a bit while training. Asta is indifferent to treats and praise is what he will really work for.

Reactions: Mfmst
#18 ·
Iris broke my nose with her pointy little head. Got up to go potty one night, crawling back into be and Iris jumped onto the bed from the other side, my nose collided with her pointy head. Bam! Lots of blood and 2 black eyes. Took ice bags to work with me for a few days and it was very painful to wear my glasses which I needed for work.

Poppy tried to kill me last summer when I was hooking her up to her long line she yanked me out the door across the concrete patio and I fell on the grass. Broken ribs, badly sprained feet and chunks of flesh missing on feet and toes. Horribly painful. She yanked me out because there was a rabbit she was after..High Prey Drive.

#20 ·
Sorry your are hurt. I'm sure it was just as traumatic for the both of you.

As to your question, I would have to say the easiest way to answer in this house is: has there been a day one of your poodles DIDN'T hurt you? We are a wild bunch in this house. I get gut punched, face clawed, and shin rammed daily. There have been a few times it has been a little worse.

This is what happens if you are going up the stairs and two dogs get tangled in your feet.

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content

I thought I had a picture of my face after I went head first to the ground after making the mistake of putting a leash loop around both my wrist and walking the dogs were there were squirrels. I looked like I had gone face first into the steering wheel during a high speed car crash. I can't find the after picture but just imagine what I would look like after losing a boxing match with a man. I had no hands to brace myself so one shoulder and one side of my face was what I landed on.

I took the picture below because it was strange how this black eye looked more like a blood vessel rupture. I was laying the opposite way on the bed and the dogs were playing chase. Waffles jumped up on the bed and the first paw of his 65 pounds to land was on my eye socket. The big paw should have caused the eye to blacken all under the eye, but instead I just got this strange bruise. It didn't hurt any less than a full black eye though.

The last time I was hurt really bad was when I was sitting in the yard doing weeding. Again I ended up on the losing end of a game of chase. I guess I was home base as Shasta hit me full force knocking me to my side and the other two dogs then trampled me like I was a snake and they were horses.

So it happens more that I go to bed with some sort of paw bruise or scratch mark than not. And I wouldn't have it any other way. We play hard and love each other with head butts and pawing and excited jumps. Time heals all wounds but they heal even faster if you have three hunks of compassion vying for your lap.

#23 · (Edited)
Nothing too serious for me yet, but just yesterday, my wife and poodle were in the backyard. I was in the house, then came outside. Willard was very happy to see me. He ran up to me and jumped. His paw hit me right in the penis. In that scenario, of course my natural instinct is to pull back, to lessen the force of the impact to a sensitive area. This caused me to lose my balance, and fall backwards. My back hit the corner of the bricks around the doorway, and I ended up in my butt. It hurt, but I would not say it was an injury. Mostly just a story for your amusement. My wife thought it was funny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#29 ·
Sorry you got hurt. These youngins dont know their own power.

Mr. Layne got all wound up & used my right hm...boob as a springboard. I had a very deep bruise followed by a knot that is going away. He's around 70 pounds. He had no idea what he did, just had a puppy running fit & got carried away.

Such an innocent face...lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

#31 ·
Sorry you got hurt. These youngins dont know their own power.

Mr. Layne got all wound up & used my right hm...boob as a springboard. I had a very deep bruise followed by a knot that is going away. He's around 70 pounds. He had no idea what he did, just had a puppy running fit & got carried away.

Such an innocent face...lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Lol! Peggy has a terrible habit of punching innocent crotches when she gets too excited. Her aim is impeccable.

#30 ·
As a matter of fact I had to go to urgent care on Wednesday for a deep puncture wound to my hand after getting bit by accident when I tried to get in between my dogs who had found a dead baby gopher tortoise. They both wanted it and were fighting. I tried to break it up and grab the tortoise but got bit. It hurt bad. This was the third one that had somehow ended up in my yard and Willy was already sick from them (vet prescribed antibiotics and probiotics). I ended up running a fever and needing antibiotics too. What a disaster.

#32 ·
As a matter of fact I had to go to urgent care on Wednesday for a deep puncture wound to my hand after getting bit by accident when I tried to get in between my dogs who had found a dead baby gopher tortoise. They both wanted it and were fighting. I tried to break it up and grab the tortoise but got bit. It hurt bad. This was the third one that had somehow ended up in my yard and Willy was already sick from them (vet prescribed antibiotics and probiotics). I ended up running a fever and needing antibiotics too. What a disaster.

Ohhh no! That's really scary. I hope you're feeling better now and that Willy's also made a full recovery.

With soft poodle mouths, I find it easy to forget how much damage those teeth can actually do, even unintentionally.

#34 ·
Ours dotted my and my daughter in the eye with her nose. On two seperate occasions we were bending down to pet her and she was jumping up to meet us. Bam right in the eye and I mean it hurt for several minutes. I thought she poked my eye out. Ouch just thinking about it.

#36 ·
OUCH. I also thought my eye had been severely injured. I've been getting shooting pains behind my eye, and the bone is still tender, but the swelling has gone down almost completely. Phew.

One of the first lessons our trainer gave us was "DON'T BEND OVER YOUR DOG UNLESS YOU WANT YOUR NOSE BROKEN." Apparently she's heard of multiple incidents like this.

#37 ·
Awhh poor you and Peggy!! Sounds like a big ouch.
Norman and I hit heads hard once like that. I was bending down to grab my shoe while he wanted to jump on the bed... big smack to my temple and his head. I couldn’t even comfort him for a while, just had to crouch to the ground and steady myself. Terrible pain!! Poor Norman cried and cried and barked at me, worried sick why I wasn’t moving. Of course I got a beautiful bruise. But I was just hoping he was ok too!!
These dogs are SO loving and caring. It’s amazing they can sense our pain or discomfort.
Now I’ve got this puppy who likes to wrestle with Norman all the time!’ But when it’s me and Loki playing, Norman immediately comes in between me and Loki so I don’t get bit or hurt. He is so protective of me. He doesn’t let the puppy bite anyone or other animal but him!!! Or maybe he wants all Loki’s attention?? LOL

#40 ·
Awhh poor you and Peggy!! Sounds like a big ouch.
Norman and I hit heads hard once like that. I was bending down to grab my shoe while he wanted to jump on the bed... big smack to my temple and his head. I couldn’t even comfort him for a while, just had to crouch to the ground and steady myself. Terrible pain!! Poor Norman cried and cried and barked at me, worried sick why I wasn’t moving. Of course I got a beautiful bruise. But I was just hoping he was ok too!!
These dogs are SO loving and caring. It’s amazing they can sense our pain or discomfort.
Now I’ve got this puppy who likes to wrestle with Norman all the time!’ But when it’s me and Loki playing, Norman immediately comes in between me and Loki so I don’t get bit or hurt. He is so protective of me. He doesn’t let the puppy bite anyone or other animal but him!!! Or maybe he wants all Loki’s attention?? LOL
I know that dazed feeling! So scary. Our poodles have the hardest skulls, I swear.

#41 ·
Today Lacey got me good. I had just picked her up and suddenly she whipped her head upwards, causing the top of her skull to hit the bottom of my jaw. It slammed my mouth shut, making me bite my tongue HARD. My tongue still hurts hours later.
Day to day I get lots of small paw-sized bruises on my upper thighs just from her standing on them.
She really bopped you good if it’s still tender. Ouch. Glad you’re on the road to healing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.