Poodle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

Registered
Nothing too serious for me yet, but just yesterday, my wife and poodle were in the backyard. I was in the house, then came outside. Willard was very happy to see me. He ran up to me and jumped. His paw hit me right in the penis. In that scenario, of course my natural instinct is to pull back, to lessen the force of the impact to a sensitive area. This caused me to lose my balance, and fall backwards. My back hit the corner of the bricks around the doorway, and I ended up in my butt. It hurt, but I would not say it was an injury. Mostly just a story for your amusement. My wife thought it was funny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #24
Oh gosh, rkj! The crotch-punch is a classic Peggy move, but you sure added your own unique twist! I'm so glad you're okay.

Registered
Unintentionally, of course.

In a freak accident today, Peggy bonked me HARD on the eyebrow鈥攂one on bone鈥攁nd I'm swollen and headachey. She was so worried right after it happened, bless her poodle heart. She carefully inspected it with her nose and has not left my side since.

The last time I can remember being injured by a dog was when my childhood German Wirehaired Pointer abruptly crossed in front of me while we ran, sending me tumbling over the leash and onto the sidewalk. Can still remember those bloody knees. I think an accident like that might shatter me now!
My husband was very ill last year, and quite frail. He could not afford to fall. A friend kept my excitable mini until I was too lonely and insisted on trying her at home. HE was convinced she would trip him accidentally. She was so careful and gentle around him; she knew he was vulnerable. I can imagine how badly your poor pup must feel.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #26
My husband was very ill last year, and quite frail. He could not afford to fall. A friend kept my excitable mini until I was too lonely and insisted on trying her at home. HE was convinced she would trip him accidentally. She was so careful and gentle around him; she knew he was vulnerable. I can imagine how badly your poor pup must feel.
Oh that is so very sweet, Maggied. Melts my heart. My mini used to spend days in the dark with me during excruciating migraines. No fussing. No restlessness. Always by my side.

They definitely know. 馃挍

Hope your husband is doing much better these days.

Registered
Never, we have had 3. never a growl, jumping on anyone or even nervous behavior. Perfect is the word.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #28
Never, we have had 3. never a growl, jumping on anyone or even nervous behavior. Perfect is the word.
Aw. I'm glad they're perfect. :) But I'm not talking about bad behaviour. Just those accidental collisions, etc. that are unavoidable while living closely under one roof.

Registered
Sorry you got hurt. These youngins dont know their own power.

Mr. Layne got all wound up & used my right hm...boob as a springboard. I had a very deep bruise followed by a knot that is going away. He's around 70 pounds. He had no idea what he did, just had a puppy running fit & got carried away.

Such an innocent face...lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Registered
As a matter of fact I had to go to urgent care on Wednesday for a deep puncture wound to my hand after getting bit by accident when I tried to get in between my dogs who had found a dead baby gopher tortoise. They both wanted it and were fighting. I tried to break it up and grab the tortoise but got bit. It hurt bad. This was the third one that had somehow ended up in my yard and Willy was already sick from them (vet prescribed antibiotics and probiotics). I ended up running a fever and needing antibiotics too. What a disaster.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #31
Sorry you got hurt. These youngins dont know their own power.

Mr. Layne got all wound up & used my right hm...boob as a springboard. I had a very deep bruise followed by a knot that is going away. He's around 70 pounds. He had no idea what he did, just had a puppy running fit & got carried away.

Such an innocent face...lol

Lol! Peggy has a terrible habit of punching innocent crotches when she gets too excited. Her aim is impeccable.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #32
As a matter of fact I had to go to urgent care on Wednesday for a deep puncture wound to my hand after getting bit by accident when I tried to get in between my dogs who had found a dead baby gopher tortoise. They both wanted it and were fighting. I tried to break it up and grab the tortoise but got bit. It hurt bad. This was the third one that had somehow ended up in my yard and Willy was already sick from them (vet prescribed antibiotics and probiotics). I ended up running a fever and needing antibiotics too. What a disaster.

Ohhh no! That's really scary. I hope you're feeling better now and that Willy's also made a full recovery.

With soft poodle mouths, I find it easy to forget how much damage those teeth can actually do, even unintentionally.

Registered
Lol! Peggy has a terrible habit of punching innocent crotches when she gets too excited. Her aim is impeccable.
My Giant does that & she has learned how to back guys up who are crowding me that she doesn't seem them a threat but she doesn't altogether trust. The first bump will be a very close call, the 2nd will be painful. Intelligent working dogs are amazing at times

Registered
Ours dotted my and my daughter in the eye with her nose. On two seperate occasions we were bending down to pet her and she was jumping up to meet us. Bam right in the eye and I mean it hurt for several minutes. I thought she poked my eye out. Ouch just thinking about it.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #35
My Giant does that & she has learned how to back guys up who are crowding me that she doesn't seem them a threat but she doesn't altogether trust. The first bump will be a very close call, the 2nd will be painful. Intelligent working dogs are amazing at times

Peggy's move is more like two excited little fists lining up just so with the worst possible spot. 馃槀 She's getting better, though......slowly.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #36
Ours dotted my and my daughter in the eye with her nose. On two seperate occasions we were bending down to pet her and she was jumping up to meet us. Bam right in the eye and I mean it hurt for several minutes. I thought she poked my eye out. Ouch just thinking about it.
OUCH. I also thought my eye had been severely injured. I've been getting shooting pains behind my eye, and the bone is still tender, but the swelling has gone down almost completely. Phew.

One of the first lessons our trainer gave us was "DON'T BEND OVER YOUR DOG UNLESS YOU WANT YOUR NOSE BROKEN." Apparently she's heard of multiple incidents like this.

Registered
Awhh poor you and Peggy!! Sounds like a big ouch.
Norman and I hit heads hard once like that. I was bending down to grab my shoe while he wanted to jump on the bed... big smack to my temple and his head. I couldn鈥檛 even comfort him for a while, just had to crouch to the ground and steady myself. Terrible pain!! Poor Norman cried and cried and barked at me, worried sick why I wasn鈥檛 moving. Of course I got a beautiful bruise. But I was just hoping he was ok too!!
These dogs are SO loving and caring. It鈥檚 amazing they can sense our pain or discomfort.
Now I鈥檝e got this puppy who likes to wrestle with Norman all the time!鈥 But when it鈥檚 me and Loki playing, Norman immediately comes in between me and Loki so I don鈥檛 get bit or hurt. He is so protective of me. He doesn鈥檛 let the puppy bite anyone or other animal but him!!! Or maybe he wants all Loki鈥檚 attention?? LOL

Registered
Peggy's move is more like two excited little fists lining up just so with the worst possible spot. She's getting better, though......slowly.
My Giant it's more like... think of a baseball bat where you throw the ball in the air then swing. She goes nose under equipment & if they dont respond fast enough she punches with her big muzzle. 80+ pounds of power. I've been careful with Mr Layne. Everyone assumes it's a sniffing issue but that Giant has taught my Collie "the baseball" move. I dont need my Spoo doing it too! LOL. Hes going to be as big as my Giant, already at 70 pounds at 1 year.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #39
My Giant it's more like... think of a baseball bat where you throw the ball in the air then swing. She goes nose under equipment & if they dont respond fast enough she punches with her big muzzle. 80+ pounds of power. I've been careful with Mr Layne. Everyone assumes it's a sniffing issue but that Giant has taught my Collie "the baseball" move. I dont need my Spoo doing it too! LOL. Hes going to be as big as my Giant, already at 70 pounds at 1 year.

Whoa! So a true muzzle punch! I've read about those and actually posted about them here when Peggy excitedly bopped me in the nose a couple of times. (I'd almost forgotten about that. My nose throbs in memory.)

I feel like a collie's elongated muzzle would be quite lethal with such a move. 馃槺

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #40
Awhh poor you and Peggy!! Sounds like a big ouch.
Norman and I hit heads hard once like that. I was bending down to grab my shoe while he wanted to jump on the bed... big smack to my temple and his head. I couldn鈥檛 even comfort him for a while, just had to crouch to the ground and steady myself. Terrible pain!! Poor Norman cried and cried and barked at me, worried sick why I wasn鈥檛 moving. Of course I got a beautiful bruise. But I was just hoping he was ok too!!
These dogs are SO loving and caring. It鈥檚 amazing they can sense our pain or discomfort.
Now I鈥檝e got this puppy who likes to wrestle with Norman all the time!鈥 But when it鈥檚 me and Loki playing, Norman immediately comes in between me and Loki so I don鈥檛 get bit or hurt. He is so protective of me. He doesn鈥檛 let the puppy bite anyone or other animal but him!!! Or maybe he wants all Loki鈥檚 attention?? LOL
I know that dazed feeling! So scary. Our poodles have the hardest skulls, I swear.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts