Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unintentionally, of course.

In a freak accident today, Peggy bonked me HARD on the eyebrow—bone on bone—and I'm swollen and headachey. She was so worried right after it happened, bless her poodle heart. She carefully inspected it with her nose and has not left my side since.

The last time I can remember being injured by a dog was when my childhood German Wirehaired Pointer abruptly crossed in front of me while we ran, sending me tumbling over the leash and onto the sidewalk. Can still remember those bloody knees. I think an accident like that might shatter me now!

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts
Noelle was going for the dumbbell and bit my arm. Left a bruise for a few days. She felt horrible, probably because I roared at her. She slunk around for two days. "Is you still all angry? I still sorry." Turned out to be a blessing in disguise. She stopped lunging for the dumbbell after that. Noelle very carefully lets me take it from her and waits to be signaled to return to heel position. No snapping at the dumbbell.

Sorry about your noggin. Hope it feels better.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Had one of my Standards fracture my orbital socket years ago. We were playing and I was bending down and she was jumping up and she hit me square on the bone of the socket with the point of her occiput. Got a bump filled with fluid about the size of an egg and then as things progressed, the mother of all black eyes LOL..Also had another Standard break a finger years ago too...Nothing in recent years thank goodness LOL.....

Reactions: Asta's Mom

·
Registered
67 Posts
I had a bruise just below my neck that resembled a hickey from her paw when she jumped up on my bed misjudging the distance. That took a long time to heal and finally disappear - worst part was it showed with all my shirts even ones that were crew necks.
I’ve also been bonked by her nose a few times when playing.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Unintentionally, of course.

In a freak accident today, Peggy bonked me HARD on the eyebrow—bone on bone—and I'm swollen and headachey. She was so worried right after it happened, bless her poodle heart. She carefully inspected it with her nose and has not left my side since.

The last time I can remember being injured by a dog was when my childhood German Wirehaired Pointer abruptly crossed in front of me while we ran, sending me tumbling over the leash and onto the sidewalk. Can still remember those bloody knees. I think an accident like that might shatter me now!
I'm so sorry that happened to you. Sisko has done the exact same thing twice, and it HURT and lasted for a little while. He acted like nothing had even happened. When Sisko used to pull very hard, he messed up my left ankle. It still hurts some day.

OUCH!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
3,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you have something you can take for it?
I've been taking Advil, but might need to throw some Tylenol at it soon. An extremely unpleasant place to get bonked! Right on the brow bone, and the top of my eyelid, too. Still have no idea what part of her made contact with me. Poodles are so boney!

I'm sorry your ankle still gives you grief. I've definitely had lingering shoulder pain after a sudden hard pull. Since switching from a leash to a climbing rope, this has been less of an issue. It has the very slightest give to it, and also slides so nicely through my hands while being bulky enough to provide a good grip.

·
Super Moderator
3,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had a bruise just below my neck that resembled a hickey from her paw when she jumped up on my bed misjudging the distance. That took a long time to heal and finally disappear - worst part was it showed with all my shirts even ones that were crew necks.
I’ve also been bonked by her nose a few times when playing.
Sorry for giggling at this one. :)

"My poodle did it! I swear!" (Cue the weird looks.)

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I've been taking Advil, but might need to throw some Tylenol at it soon. An extremely unpleasant place to get bonked! Right on the brow bone, and the top of my eyelid, too. Still have no idea what part of her made contact with me. Poodles are so boney!

I'm sorry your ankle still gives you grief. I've definitely had lingering shoulder pain after a sudden hard pull. Since switching from a leash to a climbing rope, this has been less of an issue. It has the very slightest give to it, and also slides so nicely through my hands while being bulky enough to provide a good grip.
It is! I'm guessing it was the dome of her head. Yeah! why are Poodles so boney? Has Peggy ever sat on your feet? And it's the boney part?

Ouch! I'm sorry that happened. Was Peggy the one that pulled? The climbing rope sounds nice!

Poodles seem like they're stronger than they look.

·
Super Moderator
3,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is! I'm guessing it was the dome of her head. Yeah! why are Poodles so boney? Has Peggy ever sat on your feet? And it's the boney part?

Ouch! I'm sorry that happened. Was Peggy the one that pulled? The climbing rope sounds nice!

Poodles seem like they're stronger than they look.
I think it was actually maybe her knee? I don't even know where a dog's knee is. 😂 I was laying on the floor and she jumped up, over my head, onto the couch.

She's still staying so close today. My husband just left with her on a walk and she kept looking back over her shoulder at me. Poodles are boney, but they're also so sweet!!

And yes, Peggy did some very abrupt pulling when she was younger. She'd be doing great and then something would catch her eye before I could react.

But even my mini hurt my shoulder sometimes, just by stopping suddenly to sniff. I have joint hypermobility syndrome, so I get injured really easily.

·
Premium Member
9,561 Posts
Buck once lofted me in the air, with a high speed, exuberant recall. Luckily the ground was soft from a rain or I had padding in the right spots. That could have been ugly. My arms looked terrible when he was in his teething stage.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have an elegant metal knee from a poodle injury. She was quite a large poodle,playing with two other spoos she had just met. There was a lot of poodley glee.

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
Merlin has bit me, in the first year, before I knew him well enough. I didn’t know then he panicked when he felt anger. I picked him up, I was mad at him, I don’t remember why. I wasn’t going to hurt him or anything but he felt my energy and got really scared and bit.

I let him down quick and that was the last time I gave him the chance. Now I know better...

·
Super Moderator
3,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My arms looked terrible when he was in his teething stage.
I think I've somehow managed to block that particular memory. 😂 My husband used to have a good laugh in his home office as he listened to me playing with puppy Peggy down the hall:

Good girl. OUCH. Good girl. OUCH. Good girl. OUCH.....

·
Super Moderator
3,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have an elegant metal knee from a poodle injury. She was quite a large poodle,playing with two other spoos she had just met. There was a lot of poodley glee.
Oh my goodness! Ouch! When Peggy's playing with her dog friends, all the humans take turns reminding one another to bend their knees. I can totally see how you might get injured.

·
Premium Member
3,965 Posts
When Asta had those needle teeth, he caught me more then once. I still have fine white fine lines on my arms from when he used to jump up on me. Thanks to Lily Cd Re I now have have taught him to jump up on command and will not jump up even when he is excited. When he settles some, we do jump on command. This is one of the finest rewards for Asta so I use it quite a bit while training. Asta is indifferent to treats and praise is what he will really work for.

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Iris broke my nose with her pointy little head. Got up to go potty one night, crawling back into be and Iris jumped onto the bed from the other side, my nose collided with her pointy head. Bam! Lots of blood and 2 black eyes. Took ice bags to work with me for a few days and it was very painful to wear my glasses which I needed for work.

Poppy tried to kill me last summer when I was hooking her up to her long line she yanked me out the door across the concrete patio and I fell on the grass. Broken ribs, badly sprained feet and chunks of flesh missing on feet and toes. Horribly painful. She yanked me out because there was a rabbit she was after..High Prey Drive.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I think it was actually maybe her knee? I don't even know where a dog's knee is. 😂 I was laying on the floor and she jumped up, over my head, onto the couch.

She's still staying so close today. My husband just left with her on a walk and she kept looking back over her shoulder at me. Poodles are boney, but they're also so sweet!!

And yes, Peggy did some very abrupt pulling when she was younger. She'd be doing great and then something would catch her eye before I could react.

But even my mini hurt my shoulder sometimes, just by stopping suddenly to sniff. I have joint hypermobility syndrome, so I get injured really easily.

Whoa!!! I don't know what a dog's knee is either 😂

Awwww😭 that's so cute. They are VERY SWEET.

Ahhhhh! Oh, no. I'm glad she's gotten better.

Oh, no! I understand. My family and I have Ehlers Danlos Syndrome, That's how Sisko was able to injure my ankle like that.

·
Super Moderator
660 Posts
Sorry your are hurt. I'm sure it was just as traumatic for the both of you.

As to your question, I would have to say the easiest way to answer in this house is: has there been a day one of your poodles DIDN'T hurt you? We are a wild bunch in this house. I get gut punched, face clawed, and shin rammed daily. There have been a few times it has been a little worse.

This is what happens if you are going up the stairs and two dogs get tangled in your feet.

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

I thought I had a picture of my face after I went head first to the ground after making the mistake of putting a leash loop around both my wrist and walking the dogs were there were squirrels. I looked like I had gone face first into the steering wheel during a high speed car crash. I can't find the after picture but just imagine what I would look like after losing a boxing match with a man. I had no hands to brace myself so one shoulder and one side of my face was what I landed on.

I took the picture below because it was strange how this black eye looked more like a blood vessel rupture. I was laying the opposite way on the bed and the dogs were playing chase. Waffles jumped up on the bed and the first paw of his 65 pounds to land was on my eye socket. The big paw should have caused the eye to blacken all under the eye, but instead I just got this strange bruise. It didn't hurt any less than a full black eye though.

The last time I was hurt really bad was when I was sitting in the yard doing weeding. Again I ended up on the losing end of a game of chase. I guess I was home base as Shasta hit me full force knocking me to my side and the other two dogs then trampled me like I was a snake and they were horses.

So it happens more that I go to bed with some sort of paw bruise or scratch mark than not. And I wouldn't have it any other way. We play hard and love each other with head butts and pawing and excited jumps. Time heals all wounds but they heal even faster if you have three hunks of compassion vying for your lap.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts