Poodle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have LOTS of snakes in our yard in the spring, summer, and early fall. They're harmless, but I live in constant fear that one will get in the house. (A neighbour found one wrapped around her bathtub faucet!!!!)

My last dog (a mini mix) ignored them, but she would inadvertently scare them away by snuffling in the grass. For that reason, I always sent her out ahead of me. Good girl!

Peggy, on the other hand, has a much higher prey drive and I'm scared she's going to come running at me, waving one in the air. (Or worse - come running into the house!)

Am I nuts? Has your poodle ever caught a snake?

·
Registered
86 Posts
My parents' Irish setter once brought one into the house, but he's a gentle boy, so he didn't kill it. One of my poodles caught and ate half a lizard and got salmonella while visiting their house too. He left the other half of the lizard under my parents' dining room table. Fortunately, my mother is not fazed by snakes or semi-lizards.

My parents live in Arizona where there are lots of snakes and lizards. However, their dog has had snake training and when my father was out walking him, he suddenly squealed and levitated vertically (the dog, not my dad) which gave my father plenty of warning that there was a rattler on the path up ahead.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Not snakes but Misha loves to try to catch the lizards. He rarely does though. I actually am somewhat of a herpetologist, so I really enjoy snakes. I would definitely recommend snake training if you live in an area with a lot of rattlesnakes though.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Luckily no venomous snakes on the Olympic Peninsula. But we have big spiders that reside on the ground and torment me even more than the snakes. I was in the bath once and my mini started freaking out. I pulled back the shower curtain and there she was, battling one that had dared try to cross the floor towards the tub. It put up quite a fight. I'm getting the creeps just typing this!! Eeeeeesh.

Peggy has a soft mouth, so I can imagine her happily carrying a snake inside like the Setter. I might need to move. 😭

·
Registered
720 Posts
Dewey has a very high prey drive also and killed a non venomous snake a couple of years ago. I am a snake lover so was sad to see this. I am surprised he has not gotten more because we have many. He did not carry it around though.
I had hoped he learned his lesson when he was barely two years old and went after a venomous copperhead. He ended up at the emergency vet with a swollen muzzle. That's what I fear!

·
Registered
614 Posts
I have had one in the house that I suspect came inside with part of him dangling out of Sherlock's mouth as he looked worse for wear. I knew out of the two dogs, it was Sherlock who brought him in. Sherlock seems to be an instinctive retriever. What ever he catches he brings to me or his favorite spot in the house. Then he goes back to try to find more The worse was the baby roof rat that was still alive. He put it on his favorite chair. Then we were on the malicon in Ajijic and the dogs were off leash. There were the usual pigeons and we were laughing that Sherlock was the only dog dumb enough to chase them. Next thing I know I hear people around gasp and he trots over to me and plops a pigeon out of his mouth. Then turns to go for more. I didn't see it but they said he went straight up into the air and caught one on take-off like a cat. He has also brought in one of the big lizards we have here at the house in Queretaro. The poor guy was missing his tail but I took him straight back out and have seen the tail growing back.

Snakes are pretty easy to deal with taking back out if you have a broom and they haven't hid. I know as a pro. My son brought in every animal he could find. We found one of his snakes under the dryer when we moved. I have also had a small one come in while the remodel workers had the door open. I put on kitchen rubber gloves and caught him by hand. His hing jaws were still to small to get my rubbered finger in so he just pitched a fit by slinging himself around. The I noticed after that the workers seemed a little scared of me. Like I was going to catch one and hand it to them. If they are not venomous, let some man prove his stuff by catching it for you. Or find a female neighbor like me who doesn't mind creepy crawlies. I worry more about toxic frogs like we had in Texas and asp moths and caterpillars that are found in some places.They don't run to escape if a person or dog tries to catch them like snakes do.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Pogo has high prey drive, as long as the target is moving --or is a stuffy the size of a duck, lol. He leaves the cat alone because the cat doesn't run. He's never shown much interest in snakes. They don't move the right way to trigger his chase instinct.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Dog no, cats yes. They once left what I thought was a dead snake on the doormat that I had to step over to get into the house.

It wasn't and it turns out that I'm much faster - and louder - than I thought.

·
Registered
293 Posts
We had a non-poodle who could kill a snake in less than 5s. Lunge, snap, flick, dead, drop. It was quite impressive, though luckily all our snakes are non-venemous. I am REALLY hoping Annie doesn't learn.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Jessie actually catch something? Ha! Jessie's the worst hunter I've ever seen, but she loves to try. She doesn't bother with snakes, she completely ignores big ones and would walk right over the baby snakes we see here all the time in Florida if we didn't stop her. She kicked a toad while we were walking last night because she wasn't paying attention. But she loves to try to catch anole lizards. It's adorable, but seriously she's the worst. She's probably made hundreds of attempts by now, and she's killed exactly 2. Those were by accident- she stepped on them with her back paws while lunging after a different lizard and didn't even notice the corpse she left behind. My cats would put her to shame if one ever got into the house...

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
She kicked a toad while we were walking last night because she wasn't paying attention. But she loves to try to catch anole lizards. It's adorable, but seriously she's the worst. She's probably made hundreds of attempts by now, and she's killed exactly 2. Those were by accident- she stepped on them with her back paws while lunging after a different lizard and didn't even notice the corpse she left behind.
This had me laughing and then laughing some more when I thought about it again.

(Laughing again now as I re-read the words "kicked a toad." Jessie sounds like an absolute delight.)

·
Registered
347 Posts
Not snakes, because we don't have them in my yard or anywhere around where I take the dogs, but they have both killed a number of birds, my younger one killed a squirrel, they would likely have killed a possum and a groundhog if I hadn't managed to get them off both times they got one, and this year, for the first time ever, I had moles in my yard and they had a grand old time hunting them, though I never did see them get one....For the most part, the few cats that roam in the neighborhood have learned to stay out of my yard, but the one time they really did get after one it managed to escape by the skin of it's tail and much screaming on the part of the cat and dogs. And me LOL. I'm sure we woke up the entire neighborhood at 5AM that morning...... Many people don't realize the very high prey drive some poodles can have....

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We have a ton of moles! I was initially worried Peggy had a nutritional deficiency or something because she'd nibble at the mole hill dirt. Then we had a puppy play session on our trainer's property, and half a dozen wobbly little puppies made a beeline for the mole hills and started munching the dirt. 😂

I was hoping Peggy's presence would deter their tunnelling through our yard, but new hills pop up every day. It's quite the bustling ecosystem out there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts