Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,456 Posts
Since you're going to be cutting him off from all the extras he's been consuming, I'd be wary of moving to a weight-control food as well. That's a big change for a little guy.

My advice is to take it slow. Eliminate the floor scraps from your baby's meal times and go from there. You'd be amazed at how they add up.

If you then still want to change his food, this analysis site offers good insights:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since you're going to be cutting him off from all the extras he's been consuming, I'd be wary of moving to a weight-control food as well. That's a big change for a little guy.

My advice is to take it slow. Eliminate the floor scraps from your baby's meal times and go from there. You'd be amazed at how they add up.

If you then still want to change his food, this analysis site offers good insights:

Thanks! I'll also be making a vet appointment soon! I worked on making her stay with me while my baby was eating. I used the " leave it" command and she responded but was quickly tempted back to my son. I kept on and it went better then expected. Now if I could just stop my son from purposely feeding her his food 🤣

·
Super Moderator
4,456 Posts
Thanks! I'll also be making a vet appointment soon! I worked on making her stay with me while my baby was eating. I used the " leave it" command and she responded but was quickly tempted back to my son. I kept on and it went better then expected. Now if I could just stop my son from purposely feeding her his food 🤣
Ha! That's definitely tricky, and unfortunately I have no experience training tiny humans. 😂

I'd just make sure your poodle is getting rewarded for leave-it with small, lean treats, like bits of chicken breast. (You can make a big batch, chop, flash freeze, and then store in a freezer bag.) You can also reward him with a meal.

Use the formula from this trusted source as a portion guide:

(Also some good advice in there.)

One thing I didn't ask in your other thread: Have you recently had her blood and urine tested? If not, ravenous hunger is a good reason for a thorough checkup. I've had diabetic pets and their hunger was all-consuming.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ha! That's definitely tricky, and unfortunately I have no experience training tiny humans. 😂

I'd just make sure your poodle is getting rewarded for leave-it with small, lean treats, like bits of chicken breast. (You can make a big batch, chop, flash freeze, and then store in a freezer bag.) You can also reward him with a meal.

Use the formula from this trusted source as a portion guide:

(Also some good advice in there.)

One thing I didn't ask in your other thread: Have you recently had her blood and urine tested? If not, ravenous hunger is a good reason for a thorough checkup. I've had diabetic pets and their hunger was all-consuming.
I have not in the past year. She had blood work done last year when I had her teeth cleaned and they said she was all good. I'm going to make an appointment soon. She needs shots and all that fun stuff anyways.

Also can any food be reduced in portions to aid in weight loss or is it just healthy weight foods?

·
Super Moderator
4,456 Posts
Once you've weaned her off baby's table scraps, use that formula I shared to find out how many calories are required to maintain pup's current weight vs. how many calories to maintain ideal weight, and then (very slowly) transition down from there.

I wouldn't bother with weight-loss-specific kibble. Just focus on feeding the highest quality food you can afford, because filler ingredients can absolutely leave a dog hungry.

(Kinda like how 500 calories of Lean Cuisine might leave you hungry while a well-balanced 500-calorie plate of whole foods that are high in protein, moderate in fat, and low in refined carbs can keep you going all day.)

I've not spent much time researching weight-loss foods for dogs, but the treats our vet gave us years ago were junk. Gracie did way better on bits of whole, healthy foods.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts