Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lucy has been chewing on a spiral chew and the other morning started yelping like I've never heard her do before. She had gotten the spiral caught in her throat somehow and my husband pulled it out. I usually take her chews away when they get small but this was still more than half there. It was proably one of those rare things that never happen but she won't be getting anymore spirals. I'm glad we were home as I had put this one in her crate while we were gone before this happened. Has anyone had problems with these?

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Never had them, but for future reference, Don't leave chews like bully sticks, rawhide (avoid rawhide though) in the crate when you can't watch them. Good things to leave in the crate are stuffed kongs.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Yup, I don't let my guys have anything when I can't see them except things that they cannot chew down. The big bones they get can't be eaten so they are allowed those and when Saleen was younger she ate her lunch out of her Kong while I was at work.
I don't give rawhide unless it's that pressed kind and don't give pigs ears, or hooves at all. Bully sticks don't last long in our house LoL so they don't get those either since it gets a bit pricey with four dogs.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
I'm only going to give nylabones to my dog now =/ she's a heavy chewer and goes through condensed rawhide in two days. The last time I got her one I saw her out of the corner of my eye stand up and go very tense; she wasn't breathing. I had to do the hymlic on her, which worked perfectly, she had swallowed a piece and I haven't gotten her rawhide since.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
TheQueen swallows whatever is left of her rawhide if she feels threatened or she thinks you are going to take it away... so she is on a strict no-rawhide rule. She chokes on them and I've had to pull them out of her throat before.

ProblemChild can't have the bully sticks/spirals as they make him sick, anyway. But I think the spirals in general are not really made in a good shape for dogs, as hard as they are.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Yes, sadly I know of other dogs (usually small) that got one stuck inside their mouth. I agree, as much as they love them I'd go with something else for a chew. (The spiral shape is suppose to help clean teeth but it's not the only way to do that safely!)

I much prefer, and highly reccommend, Free Range tendons... as they chew it becomes stringy, like floss, and helps the teeth also. My dogs love them and I feel it's so much safer. Price is decent too, ($3.50) as long as you don't have maniac chewers. After 15 minutes with one you can take it away to enjoy another time.

Free Range makes awesome BS's too... they don't smell... I'd stay clear of Red Barn... gross!
And rawhides are not allowed here or are my puppies 'out there' suppose to have them.... too dangerous.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
much prefer, and highly reccommend, Free Range tendons... as they chew it becomes stringy, like floss, and helps the teeth also. My dogs love them and I feel it's so much safer. Price is decent too, ($3.50) as long as you don't have maniac chewers. After 15 minutes with one you can take it away to enjoy another time.

Free Range makes awesome BS's too... they don't smell... I'd stay clear of Red Barn... gross!

Do you get the Free Range tendons online? I don't remember seeing them in the pet stores. I'm always looking for a different chew thing!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've had really good luck with Free Range products also. I found a site online that has what seems like hundreds of different treats from free range and other companies. They have the tendons as well as tons of other Free Range Products. You may want to check out www.fidodogtreats.com if you are looking for those products.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
A lot of my friends from Havanese forum swear by and love, love, love Merrick Flossies (aka spiral chews), but Bugsy doesn't do well on them. The last little piece always seems to kinda stick the wrong way. I much prefer bully sticks, actually Moo sticks, as they have the odorless ones. I have no problems with them. A great place I get mine in bulk is www.bullysticksonline.com.

I don't use rawhide, but know it can be dangerous and as a rule never leave any chews for them when I can't watch.

·
Registered
562 Posts
the spiral chews can be good because it takes them longer but its also easier for them to get stuck so if i were you i would just stick with the normal stick ones...bully sticks are one of the safest treats to give your dogs. It will not swell and creat a blockage in the stomach like a chunk of rawhide will. I only moderately supervise with them if at all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts