Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to get a harness for while Darcy is very small. I know it can encourage pulling, but I feel it's safer for him to be in a harness as we are getting him used to a downtown environment than a collar.

Anyway, any harness recommendations out there? He was 3.6 pounds at his vet visit last week-end, so he's currently pretty small! Does anyone have any experience with the puppia harness? I saw them in a store near here and they looked pretty good, although expensive for something he will grow out of.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
HALTI also makes a nice harness that discourages pulling. I like harnesses on certain dogs. They are safe but they can ruin a coat if you are trying to be mat-free.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have no experience with a pup the size of Darcy but we do use a harness on our standard. He is very strong and tends to pull with a collar but with this harness he does not. The leash connects in the front in the middle of his chest. If he does bolt while on the leash he spins around and will end up facing you. We did not want to use pinch collars or anything that went around his muzzle. It has two quick release snaps but you only need to disconnect one to get it on and off, its very easy. This is not a training harness it just keeps them from pulling. No matting the hair either.

Premier Easy Walk Dog Harness
Designed to gently discourage your dog from pulling while walking on a leash

Easy Walk Harness Product Description - Premier Pet

PS
for some reason the links to PetSmart do not work but they do carry them

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like harnesses on certain dogs. They are safe but they can ruin a coat if you are trying to be mat-free.
That's a good point. I do need to be careful of his coat, as we are hoping to show him if he continues to look good. He would only wear it outside though.

Here's the puppia harness I saw. Would this be better or worse for coat care do we think? Soft Harness and Matching Lead by Puppia for Small Dogs from Golly Gear

The petsmart step in ones look good as well. I found some on gollygear as well that look decent, Plaid Step-in Harness for Small Dogs by Daba Doo from Golly Gear

I'm going to have to take him in store to fit him I think! I just can't tell what size he will need.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I really like that harness alot. I contacted them to see if I can carry their line. Unique, different but very intelligently designed stuff.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I know. The understraps are done with a velveteen material so it doesnt irritate skin and hair and it can be used in a multipurpose way.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I had a Puppia knock-off that cost me about $5 (IIRC) that I used when Teddy was really small. When he outgrew that one, I bought an actual Puppia. When that one got too small, I tried the next size up, but it didn't fit him right. It was too big around the neck and it looked ridiculous.

So I bought a step-in harness by Up Country and I love the design of it so much better. He doesn't pull as much with the step-in as he did with the Puppia, but that could be just because he walks better on the leash now than he did back then.

The step-in I have is much more adjustable than the Puppia, so even if he does grow a little more, I won't have to buy yet another expensive harness. LOL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts