Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone on another forum recently had their dog diagnosed w/ HD. The guarantee they got from the breeder says something about this type of flooring and how it can cause HD. In other words the breeder is worming his way out of the guarantee. (This isn't the only reason I think that, the breeder was very rude in their reply to the owner's email and doesn't test all of their stock. They buyer was also warned about this breeder but got the puppy b/c he had already put down a deposit.:doh:)

I don't even know if the dogs owner has non-carpeted floors, but I do. There isn't a stitch of carpet in my house, for allergy and cleanliness reasons. (I have other environmental allergies, not related to animals.) When I get my pup, how much of a concern is this? Obviously I shouldn't let him/her run around like a mad man (um mad puppy) on slick flooring. I guess some cheap rugs might be a good idea, but it's so much harder to clean if there are housebreaking accidents.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hardwood floor doesn't "cause hip dysplasia"

A dog with hip dysplasia can slip on hard wood, and it is not good for them to sleep on cold hard flooring that is all. It doesn't cause it.

You shouldn't worry about it unless your dog does get HD. Wood flooring is very clean especially for people with pets :)

·
Registered
918 Posts
I don't have any rugs either. Dog and dust mite allergy. My allergies are much improved since our Golden died (sorry Jackie <3 ) so I will probably add area rugs again in the future.

I have travertine and wood floors. It can be a little slippery for the dogs but we try to keep their paws neatly trimmed which helps.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I agree with the above. We have wood floors, no rugs because I have allergies and asthma. Puppy did fine! I was sooo thankful when I have to clean up after accidents.

When she was a wobbly pup, I could tell that it was a little hard for her where I think carpet would have had more grip for zoomies. Now it's no big deal. Run jump anywhere. :D

·
Registered
478 Posts
That's crap. My BC has HD. I have linoleum and he would have had HD either way. It doesn't bother him. He sleeps on my bed or in his crate with a memory foam pad. He's fine. That is just what you said. A way to weasel out of the contract.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Goodness gracious - what is next that they will find as an excuse to not grant a warranty :doh: ???

I have no carpets either (same as Rockporter - wood and travertine) and my first spoo grew up on tiles and parquet and "exercised" on concrete and asphalt city streets and parks with occasional tiny patch of grass. We lived on the FIFTH floor with no lift in the building and terazzo stairs that he had to climb up and down 3 times a day to go poop - and he had NO hip problems :fish: !!!!!

Just crazy ........:smow:

·
Registered
646 Posts
well we don't allow horseplay in the house anyways sooooooooo wood floors and tiles are no problem.
Dogs play and wrestle outside walk calmly and lay on beds inside

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies. I knew this flooring couldn't cause HD and the other breeder is a creep, but I was wondering if hard floors could exacerbate weak hips. You guys put my mind at ease. I don't like horseplay in the house either.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i'm glad you guys set that straight.... thats one of the most rediculous ideas i've ever heard.... my lil lilly runs around all over the harwood.... they bounce, its all good, their not that fragile.... just keep a dog bed (or regular bed in my case) around and they'll use it rather than sleeping on the floor (or not, my moms dogs love laying on hardwood), their not dumb and if it hurts they'll stop doin it....

breeders like that are the reason i do rescue dogs

1 - 9 of 9 Posts