Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Five years ago today, I brought home a Christmas gift for myself.

This little baby dog with the too big Christmas collar came home. I dreamed she would become a Type 1 diabetes alert dog. So we started training.

Noelle learned how to sit.

And lie down.

And how to be very naughty.

And how to be very nice.

She grew from a service dog in training.

Into a life changing service dog.

Once she started alerting to low blood sugar, high blood sugar, and rapid swings up and down, I thought her training was complete.

Noelle had other plans.

And more plans.

And even more plans.

Five years ago, I was in the car with my new puppy, listening to The First Noel. I heard the lyric, "And to the earth, he gave great light..." And right there, I named my dog, Gave Great Light. Five years later, she's Gave Great Light CD RM RAE CGC TKI. Her name grew longer as my love grew deeper. Because of her, I got new letters after my name, too -- KPA-CTP. Her light guided me through the hardest class I've ever taken and helped me certify as a professional dog trainer. She is my great light. Today especially I remember that, and honor her light in my life. My Noelle.

This year we won no ribbons. No new crystal sparkly things. 2020 was dark. May 2021 be a new dawn. So, onward, Noelle! CDX awaits! UD awaits! RM2 awaits! RAE2 awaits! RACH awaits! New titles to strive for. New adventures ahead. May 2021 bring us long rides in the car, fun nights sharing pizza in hotel rooms, and flat green ribbons to weave into our quilt of memories.

Happy Gotcha Day, Noelle. Gave Great Light indeed.

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
Happy Gotcha Day to a very special light of your life, Ms Noelle. She is an inspiration to all.

Reactions: Click-N-Treat

·
Premium Member
24,113 Posts
Fabulous story over the last five years and I know there will be many more chapters added.:):):)

·
Registered
Benjamin Franlkin - Senior Tpoo, Apple Butter - mpoo puppy
136 Posts
What a lovely girl! I'm so glad you two have found each other. I'll have to keep coming back to this page every time I get frustrated with the non-stop potty breaks and the crying whenever I leave!

·
Premium Member
13,267 Posts
Happiness indeed! Your light has brightened all our lives, Noelle - shine on, special girl.

·
Premium Member
3,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for celebrating with us. Noelle alerted to two lows while I was cooking dinner. She got some smoked cheese as reinforcement. We played the Stand/Down/Sit game and that was a lot of fun. I bought Noelle a brand new Lambchop to disembowel and a new bone. In an hour, Noelle is going to pick up her new bone and climb on my bed with it. I have a special blanket for her to lie on and chew bones, so that's not a problem. The ridiculous thing is, Noelle has to bury her bones before she can enjoy them. So, I hold up the edge of the blanket. She scratches, and digs, digs, and digs until she's satisfied. Then I wrap the bone up in the blanket. She uncovers it, and repeats the procedure. Sometimes twice, sometimes, five or six times, dig, dig, dig, dig. Eventually she decides the bone is worth chewing and lies down next to me happily munching away. She's a goofball. It's another thing I love about Noelle.

·
Premium Member
4,632 Posts
Noelle, a goofball - no no no. Now Asta is a real goofball. Knew this gotcha day was coming - just didn't know the exact date. You and Noelle are such a great time, in great harmony, and yes, great light.
Asta sends a couple of big licks to his girlfriend.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Happy Gotcha Day! Thank you, Click, for all your posts about Noelle. She is so very special, and so are you!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts