Poodle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,158 Posts
Happy Thanksgiving - it's my favorite holiday getting together with family and enjoying a celebratory meal.

Are you preparing the meal for your family/friends?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Happy Thanksgiving - it's my favorite holiday getting together with family and enjoying a celebratory meal.

Are you preparing the meal for your family/friends?
Thank you Skylar! My sister-in-law hosted last night's dinner. My aunt is hosting tonight's dinner. I'll travel there with my parents today to help with the meal preparation. We haven't hosted in ages. It means less hassle but also no leftovers. :(

Reactions: scooterscout99

·
Premium Member
22,983 Posts
Happy thanksgiving to all PFers to the north. As to tomorrow's US holiday, I have classes even though most K-12 is off for what I prefer to recognize as Indigenous People's Day over Columbus Day.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, Thanksgiving in Canada isn't as big a holiday as it is in the US from my understanding. It's an excuse for a good meal, time with loved ones, and we get a long weekend. We get Monday off in my province.

Something I'm curious about for American Thanksgiving - which days do people commonly get off work? I assume Black Friday is a day off. Is Thursday the actual holiday?

Reactions: Dechi

·
Premium Member
22,983 Posts
Thursday is the actual holiday and most people (except for those who work in retail) also have Friday off. Black Friday IMO is disgusting, people going to malls and free standing stores in the middle of the night to wait for the doors to open (and sometimes they actually open late Thursday) so they can trample and fight with each other to make a grab for one of ten or so deal of a lifetime TVs. I do my Christmas shopping as I travel during the year and see unique things like special food related items that have a regional meaning. Then to finish off I order some special things like South Carolina peach cider when it is close enough to do so without any spoilage. I top things off on Giving Tuesday by making charitable donations for myself and in honor of my close family and friends.

If I go anywhere this Thanksgiving weekend it will be to a dog show where there are lots of vendors and I can pick up shampoos, get clipper blades sharpened and such.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Thursday is the actual holiday and most people (except for those who work in retail) also have Friday off. Black Friday IMO is disgusting, people going to malls and free standing stores in the middle of the night to wait for the doors to open (and sometimes they actually open late Thursday) so they can trample and fight with each other to make a grab for one of ten or so deal of a lifetime TVs. I do my Christmas shopping as I travel during the year and see unique things like special food related items that have a regional meaning. Then to finish off I order some special things like South Carolina peach cider when it is close enough to do so without any spoilage. I top things off on Giving Tuesday by making charitable donations for myself and in honor of my close family and friends.

If I go anywhere this Thanksgiving weekend it will be to a dog show where there are lots of vendors and I can pick up shampoos, get clipper blades sharpened and such.
Online Black Friday is pretty cool though !

·
Registered
592 Posts
Haha, no snow here in the “sunny south” of southern Ontario. It’s supposed to hit 19 C today. My wife and I are planning to take the dogs for a hike, and treat them to some ham scraps.

Happy thanksgiving folks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Happy Canadian Thanksgiving! Snow wow isn't that early or is it the n ors. I think I will put a visit to Canada on my bucket list. Coming originally from NY we had snow but I've lived in the South now for almost 30 years. I miss freshly fallen snow when the air is crisp but I don't miss the days after, lol. I think I would like to say in a lodge with some wine a big window and a roaring fire.

·
Premium Member
22,983 Posts
Dechi, I agree that online is just fine.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Happy Canadian Thanksgiving! Snow wow isn't that early or is it the n ors. I think I will put a visit to Canada on my bucket list. Coming originally from NY we had snow but I've lived in the South now for almost 30 years. I miss freshly fallen snow when the air is crisp but I don't miss the days after, lol. I think I would like to say in a lodge with some wine a big window and a roaring fire.
Yes snow in October is a little early in my province. To be honest though, it's not unheard of to have snow in pretty much any month in the northern parts of Canada.

Reactions: JenandSage
1 - 16 of 16 Posts