Poodle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if this is a question for the food or training board so I put it here as a compromise.

I keep reading it it's important to get your pup on a feeding schedule. But I also read about handfeeding and feeding out of puzzles. I'm not sure how to do both. At night I can see no more food after a certain hour but what about during the day?

·
Registered
6,934 Posts
I don't know if this is a question for the food or training board so I put it here as a compromise.

I keep reading it it's important to get your pup on a feeding schedule. But I also read about handfeeding and feeding out of puzzles. I'm not sure how to do both. At night I can see no more food after a certain hour but what about during the day?
In the housebreaking phase, it is easier to not free feed. If you feed your puppy 4 times a day, then put his bowl down, leave it 15-20 minutes and remove it. Puppies usually love to eat and it should be gone fast.

If you want to use puzzles, just put the puzzle down at the regular eating time, or use it to give treats.

For example, you might feed your 8 week old puppy at 8am, 12 pm, 16 pm and 7 pm. And maybe you give little treats when you do short training sessions at 9 am, or 1 pm.

It really is up to you and the routine you are going to establish.

Count the treats as food too, so you don’t overfeed. Puppies are hard to overfeed though, they have so much energy and need a lot more calories than adults.

One rule though : no food at least 2-3 hours before going to bed. And empty bladder and bowels before being put in the crate or x-pen. Always. To encourage not soiling the bed/crate/x-pen.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I'd like to add that you only need to take a few kibbles from the portion and use them as treats. The puppy knows it's food, he's fine with it, and you won't be giving him questionable nutrition. Also, don't give treats unless he earns them. So, during training, whether formal or informal as it presents itself. No treats just for being cute or the puppy will start bugging you. And bug you forever.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts