Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not been able to find a comfortable halter for my standard poodle. We have just always used a collar for walking, etc.

I would love to have something like this bicycle leash attachment so that I can safely take him bike riding with me: https://tinyurl.com/y6lqkxwg

Recommendations for a comfortable halter? He really dislikes wearing anything besides a collar.

·
Registered
296 Posts
We are trying this one right now, using just the front loop for the leash.https://ttouch.ca/product/ttouchharmonyharness/ Cleo is 4 1/2 months old so we are still working on loose leash walking. It works all right. It's lightweight, which i like, and it doesn't get in her way at all. We had the Easy Walk, but it hung down too low and sort of got in her way. I felt that it didn't fit right on her. (And then she chewed through it when i forgot to take it off at the end of a walk...)
The Freedom No-Pull has been recommended to me, so i may try that one next.

·
Premium Member
23,404 Posts
Have you looked at sleepypod harnesses? They do not restrict the dog's movements which is a really important part of any harness in terms of not risking injuries. They are also crash tested. And in terms of injuries, while I don't use harnesses to walk dogs (just for vehicle safety), I think I would be concerned about having a dog trotting or faster gait to keep up with a bike on pavement.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I contacted the TTouchHarmony people to see if they had any softly padded harness and they don't.

I am chuckling here. I am 73 and because I had to have knees replaced have not ridden for over 10 years. I will be going slowly for sure, and for short distances. My dog gets very frustrated with my slowness and I can't let him run in town off leash to get enough exercise.

The bicycle contraption (the Springer Dog Exerciser at $109) was specifically designed to prevent accidents, which is why I am looking for a harness for my dog to be able to use it. I wouldn't dare ride my bicycle simply holding a leash for fear of being pulled over. And I definitely don't want to risk damaging his neck.

I will check with the Sleepypod folks. Unfortunately the closest store for them is 142 miles.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
You may also want to check out 2houndsdesign. We have one for our boxer when he was young. I know someone who swears by one with our therapy dog. https://www.2houndsdesign.com

You could probably call them to see if this would be suitable.

I think your very brave to consider riding a bike with your dog. I'm near 70 and have one knee replaced b ut although I still ride I don't chance taking the dog with me, takes on 1 second to knock one off balance and I cannot afford to fall.

·
Registered
296 Posts
We are now trying the Freedom No-pull harness from 2 hounds--so far it is working better than the others did for my purpose, teaching loose leash walking. I only use one connecter, the one the on the back.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
My son uses a Hurtta padded harness on his Goldens. You might want to take a look at them on Amazon. I personally don't use a harness when I take Molly on our 'scooter walks', (I use a mobility scooter) the use of a Martingale collar is enough to keep her from pulling.....she immediately slows down or stops at the feel of any pressure on her neck!

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am still looking. So far each fix seems to have problems.

I hope there is someone on our forum who is a bicycle rider who has found the perfect solution.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Nothing new to add to the halter topic, but I did try biking with my spoo, inspired by this SoCal owner. Earlier photos and videos show a bike leash holder that attaches to the seat stem. He seems to ride without that attachment often. I’m impressed with how well these two dogs are trained to stay with the owner.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrQUNkhDCjV/

My dog has a high prey drive and my neighborhood is full of squirrels so I didn’t make it far. Even my 25 pound beagle mix could pull my bike over on the hunt.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I bike with Evie fairly often during the winter and I use a blueberry pet padded harness with a walky dog attachment, which attaches to the stem of my bike.
Evie has a very high drive and so far she has not been able to pull me over.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Scooter for the instagram video. It looks like those two dogs are just wearing normal collars. I appreciate that the owner stops for frequent breaks. But I don't think collars only are safe for the dogs. Hate to think what could happen to their necks.

Jeepers, if your 25 pounder could pull you over, what could my 50 pounder do?

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
My neighbor who is fairly young mid 50's and in extremely good physical condition started riding with his dog that is about 50 lbs. They were doing really well and the dog was getting good exercise. Unfortunately last week she got startled by something, not even sure what and he got knocked over when she bolted. He broke his collarbone and 3 ribs and also has pain in his back. I use to ride too with my small dog but now that I am not as steady and my dog is big I don't think I would chance it anymore. A fall at my age could put me in a wheelchair forever. I hope your dog is rock solid steady.

·
Registered
946 Posts
My neighbor who is fairly young mid 50's and in extremely good physical condition started riding with his dog that is about 50 lbs. They were doing really well and the dog was getting good exercise. Unfortunately last week she got startled by something, not even sure what and he got knocked over when she bolted. He broke his collarbone and 3 ribs and also has pain in his back. I use to ride too with my small dog but now that I am not as steady and my dog is big I don't think I would chance it anymore. A fall at my age could put me in a wheelchair forever. I hope your dog is rock solid steady.
My thoughts exactly. A quick lunge by my 25 pounder could easily set me off-course. There’s a physics problem in there somewhere!

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yikes, that sounds terrible. I am so sorry about your neighbor!

Do you know if he was using the bicycle connection contraption that I linked? Apparently it is supposed to be difficult to have this kind of accident when using it.

I would really like to know.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
kontiki...he was not using a contraption. I think he was just holding the leash. But nevertheless when the dog lunged it knocked the bike off balance. I think that could still happen with a contraption. I use to ride my bike with my small dog bu t I don't take that chance anymore. It doesn't take much to lose balance on a bike a small dip in road, a stick you don't see and run over it tends to move your balance off a bit. I am careful now when I ride so I no longer take a dog with me. When we use to visit relatives in The Netherlands I loved riding the bike there on the small roads, flat and smooth for miles. We went so far one time it was a struggle to come back lol. In my neighborhood we have a few dips here and there and we also have some reflectors in the road itself, some are breaking now and it can easily tip your balance a bit if your not paying attention. In another year we will be repaving them. Since we are in a gated community our roads are private and we have to maintain them.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think he was just holding the leash. But nevertheless when the dog lunged it knocked the bike off balance.
I believe this 'contraption' was specifically designed and tested to make it difficult for a dog to pull the bicycle over. That is the only reason I would be considering it.

What a very unfortunate accident :(

1 - 20 of 21 Posts