Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newt is getting fluffy. We'd like to have her in a Miami clip. When I adopted her a few months ago, she was shaved down. Some areas (ears and tail) were so completely clipped that there was no hair whatsoever and we didn't know if it would grow back. (she was apparently very matted. She also had a skin condition, so we didn't know if it was the matting and subsequent shave or a skin problem causing the baldness) Her ear and tail hair are growing back thickly and nicely now, though of course it's a long process. The rest of her coat was just clipped short right before I adopted her.

Although her body coat is quite long, she doesn't have quite enough hair on her legs yet for proper "anklets" if you will (or whatever the proper term is). Do most of you who have dogs in a shorter cut let the hair grow out entirely before trimming or would you suggest having her trimmed and setting a pattern for the ankle area? The hair isn't a problem for me to keep up with, she just looks like a little black poofball with no figure when she has all that hair.

She'll be going to a groomer, since while I normally do my dogs' grooming myself, she's way, way too wiggly. And with her leg issue , I don't want to chance her injuring herself. I'd rather her go somewhere where they have grooming tables and nooses to keep little poodles in place.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I'd just go ahead and put her into the Miami. The bracelets will fill in very quickly. Make sure your groomer does an nice transition between neck hair and topknot. This means leaving hair on the back of the neck and scissoring it in. Too many groomers shave all the way up the neck and then the topknot poofs out.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I recommend a lamb clip (short body, longer legs) until she grows enough hair for the proper poms. That way she'll have some nice shape, and she won't look unfinished at any point.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Either you can do a lamb trim (hopefully your groomer will do it correctly) or you can do a miami, in which the poms will probably have more of a cylinder look to them for a bit, which doesn't look bad either!

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hope they groom her correctly! I chose a somewhat small shop based on the recommendation of two people with poodles. They both do "pet type trims" on their dogs..just the all over short body, shaved face, short topknot. But I would assume that they can also follow other instructions, since those owners asked for those specific trims:) I don't want a short topknot, so I'll be pretty specific on that, And I'll probably bring a pic of the clip I want to avoid confusion. (groomers don't get offended if you do that do they?)

I'm so used to grooming my dogs myself that I haven't had to choose a groomer in years. (and I've moved across country since I last had to pick one) Nerve wracking!

·
Registered
575 Posts
Go ahead and set her pattern. You'd be surprised how little hair it takes to look nice:) Also, once she is properly bathed, stretch dried and brushed out, the hair will probably look longer once trimmed.

I love the Miami for summer time :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts