Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I'm a first time poodle owner and my little buddy is just about to reach his first birthday. I was wondering if there is a way to guess or tell what his final coat will be like?

I'm curious because he seems to have a mix of hair types. His head has very tight curls but his body is looser and wavy. It's all quite thick and very soft. I expected his fur to feel considerably courser.

It's also already changed quite a bit from when I first brought him home. When he was smaller his hair was a more uniform loose wave and very plush like cotton.

Do you guys think he'll lose his softness over time or is his current coat a preview of what his final coat will be?

He's a black mini and I wash him about once every two weeks with dog shampoo and conditioner.

·
Registered
182 Posts
OMG, the dreaded change of coat. The time when your easy to take care of puppy coat suddenly matts within hours, a nightmare for those trying to keep a show coat.

Of course not all poodles go through a dramatic change of coat, but believe me, I've been through hundreds and it's the worse grooming period in a poodles life. And the age it happens varies poodle to poodle, but 12 to 18 months is the general rule.

First, how is your little guy groomed? If you have a typical poodle topknot, cut shorter and rounded, it's going to show what the final coat will be sooner than areas left longer.

With your guy being a solid color, all of his coat should mature evenly in the end and blacks tend to have the best coats. With my Roland, now just 11 months old and recently cut semi short for the first time, his black area are thick and curly but his white area are soft and cottony, making his black areas far easier to keep up with. I'm just hoping when he actually starts change of coat I don't have to give him the buzz cut to get him through it, he's not the best quality and one thing that makes him look good is that I keep him well groomed. But I'm also busy with work and all and if I don't have time to keep him matt free, I'll buzz him and deal with it until it's over. I'd rather spend time with him than spending time with his coat.

Even so, I had a wonderful black mini years ago and he breezed through change of coat, I always had him perfectly groomed without a hair bit of trouble. And two standards ago was a black. He was an absolutely beautiful, high quality standard in all respects and I buzzed him during change of coat. The coat that came in after that was so thick and wirely that he never matted, just what I called webbing, aka, it brushed out even after months. I could keep him in full show coat or one of the more fancy pet trims, both I did, and his coat made it no more difficult than a shave down. I hope your boy ends up like that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OMG, the dreaded change of coat. The time when your easy to take care of puppy coat suddenly matts within hours, a nightmare for those trying to keep a show coat.

Of course not all poodles go through a dramatic change of coat, but believe me, I've been through hundreds and it's the worse grooming period in a poodles life. And the age it happens varies poodle to poodle, but 12 to 18 months is the general rule.

First, how is your little guy groomed? If you have a typical poodle topknot, cut shorter and rounded, it's going to show what the final coat will be sooner than areas left longer.

With your guy being a solid color, all of his coat should mature evenly in the end and blacks tend to have the best coats. With my Roland, now just 11 months old and recently cut semi short for the first time, his black area are thick and curly but his white area are soft and cottony, making his black areas far easier to keep up with. I'm just hoping when he actually starts change of coat I don't have to give him the buzz cut to get him through it, he's not the best quality and one thing that makes him look good is that I keep him well groomed. But I'm also busy with work and all and if I don't have time to keep him matt free, I'll buzz him and deal with it until it's over. I'd rather spend time with him than spending time with his coat.

Even so, I had a wonderful black mini years ago and he breezed through change of coat, I always had him perfectly groomed without a hair bit of trouble. And two standards ago was a black. He was an absolutely beautiful, high quality standard in all respects and I buzzed him during change of coat. The coat that came in after that was so thick and wirely that he never matted, just what I called webbing, aka, it brushed out even after months. I could keep him in full show coat or one of the more fancy pet trims, both I did, and his coat made it no more difficult than a shave down. I hope your boy ends up like that.
I'm an amateur learning to groom him at home. I keep him shaved down pretty short most of the time. Currently he's grown out about two months and is fluffier than normal (I'm shaving him down again this weekend). The hair on his head is fairly tightly curled and thick while everything else is on the wavy side. (He has a few ringlets on his tail, which is the only part of his coat I leave long. )

He never had even a tangle when he was a little puppy. Now he is in a constant state of tangles BUT I have yet to find a mat. I brush him about once a week and would do so more regularly if he didn't hate it lol.

I heard that about black poodles when I got him. It actually helped when I selected him because I initially was adamant about not wanting a black poodle. (I wanted brown or blue) But I was convinced otherwise when it came to the coat quality. (I LOVE parti poodles though, if you happen to have any pictures I'd love to see your buddy :))

So, if his topknot is likely the best preview, does that mean he'll retain his softness? I've always known poodles to be fairly coarse and have been surprised by my little guy. I was told that it may be because I bathe him regularly and use conditioner on him. If his final coat ends up being like his current topknot I'll be ecstatic.

·
Premium Member
6,414 Posts
Not all poodles have coarse coats the smaller guys especially. I have have 6 toys and one mini poodle, only my Beatrice has had the coarse curly coat, my Pia has puppy soft wavy hair and only one curly bit on one hip, I am waiting to see how Leonard turns out his coat is quite curly now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts