Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I've tried everything I can think of with our 3yo standard poodle, Jack. When he was young he caught parvo, about 6 months ago he's developed bald patches, bad odor and eye "gook". The vet said Jack has some sort of skin/follicle issue and prescribed antibiotics with no success. We've tried changing his food to high protein diets with no corn or other fillers with no change. He smells horrible within a day of bathing. He is groomed on a regular basis (luckily one of our best friends is a groomer and she comes over to do it) so it's not a grooming issue. He's active, there's no scratching or biting at the bald patches, no bleeding or cracked skin although it is flaky. Would the "satin ball" food recipe help?

Any advice would be much appreciated, we love Jack (he hangs out around my forge while I'm working) and the vet has recommended he be put down.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I think you'll get some great advice here. I can't offer anything besides, find a new vet? Does he have much experience with Poodles? Do you know someone (like a breeder) who can recommend a more Poodle friendly vet?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, yeah, that's the condition, couldn't remember the name and no bottle of meds around (at least none of Jack's meds :p )

He's the vet that treats all the poodles from Jack's breeder and I guess would be fairly in tune with poodle issues. I think he was more worried about how miserable all of us are over Jack.

Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I think dogs with SA have been helped by oil bathes and oral oil supplements. You should do some Google searches and learn some of the protocols. Also, it is very important that you register Jack's SA on www.poodlehealthregistry.com This will help other breeders track the disorder.

Could you tell me who Jack's dam and sire are?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Depending on how severe it is, you can really control a lot of those issues with the weekly oil baths. I would keep the dog in a very short clip so that the bathing is easier to do with the frequency required to keep the odor and condition under some sort of control. I don't know that any food supplements would help, but they couldn't hurt. I would probably go with fish oil capsules or other skin enhancing supplements. Satin balls are really for adding weight to a dog, and I am not sure if that is an issue for you or not. In any case, they typically aren't designed to supplement skin unless they have a specific additive in the recipe. What a terrible thing for you to deal with, but your poodle can live a long normal happy life. Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts