Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the hair on a poodle grow faster and slower on different parts of the body? I measured the different lengths on Vegas's body and this is what I've found:

Legs (never cut): 3 inches
Body (clipped April 14th): 2 inches now
Topknot (never cut): 4 inches
Ears (shaved March 30th): a little over an inch now

I haven't measured the hair length on his tail yet though.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have never cut Jazzy's tail or ears and they have barely grown and she is 9 months old. On the other hand I feel like her face and feet need shaved every other week :noidea:

·
Registered
918 Posts
Jasper's back hair, nearest his tail, doesn't grow very quickly. I'm told this is normal. He's been going to the groomer since 4 months old. Nothing has been drastically cut, just shaped and so forth preparing for show. For comparison:

Legs: 4 inches
Neck: 5 inches
Topknot: 3-5 inches
Tail: 4-5 inches

All approximate. It's hard to measure when the tape measure is being licked to death.

BTW how tall is Vegas now? Jas is 22"!!

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
I find on Billy that his body hair grows quickly but his top knot and the back of his neck grows slower. On Taffy, her neck hair grows very fast but her leg hair grows slowly. Seems like it is particular to each poodle.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Seems like their little faces grow faster than anything! I can have just shaved poodle faces and before I know it they looks
all hairy again. I have heard that the more you shave the faster it grows. I know clean hair grows faster than dirty hair.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Ears and legs take forever. Ugh.
Lol that made me laugh ;)

haha....

Lol... It take forever for Saffy to grow hair on her Hocks!

It drives me flippin crazy!!

I spend 20-30 on each Hock... carefully brushing them out with a comb... as to not get a single hair out!!

It is worth it though... because I am seeing growth ;)

But Saffy does have a weird coat... so don't take it for all poodles :D

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
LoL, Amen Duster! Ears take FOREVER! It seems to me that Jazz's topknot and tail grow really quickly. I am forever shearing it back like an overgrown bush to keep it in proportion. Saleen's topknot seems to grow quickly as well but her ears and tail don't hardly at all. Her ears are just weird I shaved them a year ago and they have long hair on them now but it isn't thick like most poodles you see. Just makes her ears look floppy. Her coat sucks, which annoys me b/c a good coat was numero uno on the list of must haves for a dog. Oh well... LoL.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts