Poodle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Millie is getting groomed on Friday. She is almost 6 months and she is SUPER fluffy and I LOVE it.

I want to take full advantage of her puppy coat while it lasts, so I was thinking of just a small trim and fft...
(last time I had them cut her down a bit more, but I am loving her fluffy look now!)

but.. it is humid and HOT here in St. Louis.

Advice please!!

Should I cut her shorter or leave her fluffy?

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Leave it fluffy, that puppy coat isn't going to last. Besides, the hair acts like insulation to keep them cooler in the summer, or so I've heard. :)

·
Registered
681 Posts
Leave it fluffy!! I just shaved my standard pup down... her coat started changing, and I couldn't keep her out of the water. Well that combination ended in a giant mess, and instead of fighting to keep the tangles out I just shaved her down. I'm sure the short clip is nice and cool but I miss the puppy fluff!!

·
Registered
12,498 Posts
Fluffy is lovely, but comfortable is more important!

·
Registered
681 Posts
You could do a really cute lamb trim, then her body would be a bit cooler, but you can keep the nice fluffy legs.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Vegas's first clip was into a lamb trim, though I cut a lot off his body, he still had more than an inch to blend into the legs (which I didn't touch at all.)

·
Registered
681 Posts
CelticKitty nailed it for me. You'll have to shave it in a couple months, enjoy it while it lasts.
I almost cried when I shaved her. I was so sad to see all that puppy fluff go! But neither one of us was looking forward to another brush out. Puppy fluff is precious!! I am looking forward to what her adult coat comes in like though. It just isn’t growing fast enough!!!

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I personally like a trimmed poodle so i can see their nice athletic bodies! I say shave her to keep her comfortable! I can tell a big difference with Ry when he is fluffy or shaved with the heat. I think the insulation thing is for double coated dogs only. I have poodle like hair, and when its long it is Hot for me!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I say leave her pretty fluffy for now. Enjoy the wonderful puppy fluff while you have it!! :) Like Fozzie's Mom said, you'll have to shave it in a few months anyway, so enjoy it while it lasts.
And yeah, unfortunately I don't think the insulation thing works for hair-coated dogs like poodles... ;) Just double-coated dogs, I'm pretty sure. But keep her really well brushed out and hydrated and she really should be fine. Try and keep her in the air conditioning more than outside, or take her swimming! All good ways to keep her cool and still keep the delicious puppy fluff.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Just to chime in here...

When FD and I were at the massive national Agility/Obedience Championship event last year, Paris had a LOT of coat on her, whilst Saffy and the other poodles had an inch or less.

They were all completely brushed out, and I can tell you that Paris with her really long coat was MUCH cooler compared to Saffy or the other ones...

I think the reason that you may think they are not insulating, is because they only are when they are brushed out...

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
note that while Paris stays cool in her long coat, she is white! Darker poodles overheat a lot more if they have a thick coat, whereas for Paris the white reflects the heat and the length kept the heat well away from her skin!!!

Also, as soon as she has to grow her face and feet out to be hairy for a competition too, she starts overheating much faster...

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Just to chime in here...

When FD and I were at the massive national Agility/Obedience Championship event last year, Paris had a LOT of coat on her, whilst Saffy and the other poodles had an inch or less.

They were all completely brushed out, and I can tell you that Paris with her really long coat was MUCH cooler compared to Saffy or the other ones...

I think the reason that you may think they are not insulating, is because they only are when they are brushed out...
Wow really? That's so cool! I always thought it was only the undercoat that did the insulating lol. My bad! That's good to know though, thanks Jak.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
i have a 7 almost 8 month old spoo & last month took her in for her first big girl groom because it was getting time and it was getting hot here.

she had her fluffy puppy coat. we went to a really short clip (i did a modified hcc w/ a really short jacket)

i personally think that temperance is much happier with a shorter coat now, she doesn't seem as hot acting.

my dogs spend a lot of time outdoors so i think shorter is better in summer. also, i don't run airconditioning much.

and to add on to what paris said, my sister's dog is white and temperance is black. so yes, there is a difference there too.
my sister's spoo baby has a really long puppy coat she won't touch, but the dog spends most of her time inside where there is ac.

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the help everyone! I have made my decision! Fluffy it is!

She spends most of the day inside in the AC with me. I take her for evening walks when it is cooler AND we have a pool in our backyard, so she can go swimming. I am very careful to make sure she stays cool :)

I am going to start bringing her to the groomer for fft every 2-3 weeks, so I can always have them cut her down in a couple weeks if necessary.

Edited: Speaking of staying cool - we are supposed to have heat indices of 110 today - Pupper and I will be inside or in the pool!!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts