Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
That center looks fantastic!!!

OK - now do tell what are the rock, marble looking pieces? And how long did this take?

LOVE IT! This is something I might do, SOOO anything else you want to share ;) Please do!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
WOW! that is one amazing piece of technicolor edible art! I bet your tongue was multi-colored! How did it taste? The cake part looks moist and yummy.
I would like to taste those rocks.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The rocks are chocolate inside, very yummy :)

The cake was vanilla with food colouring :p It was really delicious if I do say so myself. It was supposed to come out like a rainbow, but it didn't quite work out that way. Still very cool. The fondant helps keep the cake really moist.

Olie - the process took a total of 6 hours including the cake baking. You make a big batch of vanilla cake (I used cake mix because it's faster), and then scoop about 2 cups of batter into a bowl, get desired colour and pour it into the base of the pan spreading it out evenly. Then do the same thing with each colour, layering them on top of one another. Then bake the cake and leave it overnight to cool. The next day, spread a thin layer of buttercream icing on the cake and roll out your fondant. You can make your own fondant, but we bought ours to save time. Once your fondant is malleable, add your colour and knead it in. Once you get your desired colour, roll out the fondant to a few millimetres thick. Make sure the top of your cake is flat, it makes a big difference in how the fondant lies on the cake and it creates less folds. Also keep in mind that it's better to have too much fondant than not enough.

Thanks for the compliments :)

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
That is the coolest colored cake I've ever seen! Very cool.

I have to say, though... my favorite part is the little boat! You did a great job!

·
Registered
12,183 Posts

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You did a fabulous job Locket! After all that work you must have nearly pitched a fit when it was to be cut!

A South African breeder friend of mine does this for a living. She owns her bakery and has workshops and cookbooks. Here is her web site address...you may get some more cool ideas from looking at her cakes. Kids birthday cakes, unique cake designs, birthday cakes, 3D party cakes - Creative Cakes
Oh wow Arreau, she does GREAT work!!!

It is a little sad when you have to cut it, but I actually was really excited to cut this cake because I had no idea what the inside was going to look like!

The camping cake was the second cake I've made, my first one was my b-day cake. I was very sad to cut my b-day cake because the inside was boring (just plain vanilla on the bottom and chocolate on the top), and the outside was sooooo nice.

Here's pics of my bday cake

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I LOVE THIS! So impressive, some of us are just not this coordinated, so kudos really!

Your first cake is so vibrant and in your face with color and detail, and the second is very clean and elegant just beautiful.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts