Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am taking TheQueen and Perry to the vet on Saturday... okay, Perry is going on the DL under the guise that I am just weighing him so I can ask about him being so incredibly bony, you caught me.

I called to make my appt and the girl started telling me about the dog flu - which I had already heard about here (we're all such nerds, lol) - and asking me if I wanted TheQueen vaccinated for it. I said yes, because at the time she made a good case, however after researching (and finding out that h3n8 rarely is fatal, but some side effects can include, "facial swelling, difficulty breathing, hives, sort of like a bee sting reaction"), I am thinking about not getting her - or any of the other dogs - vaccinated.

What are your thoughts, fellow dog lovers? To vaccinate, or no?

Here and here are a few of the articles I read. One is very against, and one is attempting to be without bias (thanks, cbs :rolleyes:).

·
Registered
268 Posts
I just went through the same thing with my puppy. The vet I was using made it sound horrible and like I was crazy not to get the shot! THEN I went to our puppy training class and the people there both said they hadn't seen any cases of it, and that they thought it was a lot of hype by vets....

So, I am leaning towards not bothering with it right now....But would love to hear what everyone else here is doing about it :)

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not big on vaccinating overly... all the dogs get the important stuff, i.e. rabies every year (since we live in a state that doesn't allow 3 year vaccines for it), bordatella if they are being boarded, etc. But I already told the woman that TheQueen wouldn't be needing bordatella this round (since she is due for ALL of her stuff), seeing as she will not be boarded any time soon, and if something DID come up, I have family to fall back on. She essentially talked to me on the phone as if I was an idiot, and explained how dogs NEEDED bordatella.

Anyway, still on the fence about the vaccine for the dog flu... one article put it very well... the dog flu is going to get bad because of over vaccination which allows the virus to mutate... but what happens when my dog is the only dog not vaccinated for the initial dog flu and the new flu comes around so it puts her at a higher risk... I don't know. Bordatella is a $9 vaccine, so they pushed that at me... and if I do ALL of the shots I get a "discount" on the flu vaccine. Pfft. Again, I don't know.

(This is also a case of me being not happy with my current vet clinic, but seeing as it is my SECOND clinic with TheQueen, I feel like I am being too picky.)

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
If probably wouldn't worry about it. Ask if YOUR clinic has treated any cases of this in the last year and how many. That should give you the answer you need. If you need more, call around to the other clinics in town and ask them the same two questions. My vet hasn't seen a single case of it that he can 100% say that is what it was.
It was a problem here in Fla a while back but even then we didn't do anything differently, continued to go to dog shows all over the south and never had so much as a sniffle nor did anyone we know.

Another thought, if you have the DHPP combo vacine (I left the L out on purpose b/c we do not vax for it) then your dog already has been vacinated for Para-influenza. So thats something.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Called and asked today if they had seen any cases of it, and the only answer I got from receptionist was "It has already reached Oklahoma, so we're trying to be extra cautious."

I forgot to ask if TheQueen has gotten the DHPP... I'll just whip out her folder in a minute and check. Is that a one time vaccination?

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Checked her sheets from the vet (they all go in a folder) and she had DHLPP at her last yearly. I know that the last P is a parvo booster... What does everything else stand for? I am going to have to break the news to the vet (whom I am sure gets extra money for doling out the vaccine) that I have chosen not to vaccinate for the dog flu. I will probably be pressured into bordatella... I have a huge attitude, but when it comes to the vet, I keep my mouth shut. That's my baby they're dealing with!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts