Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a few days ago I read that swine actually infected a cat. Something that as far as I know was out of the three species of animal the virus could infect.
I'm wondering if it mutates again and (hypothetically) can affect dogs.

What will you all do? Not just vaccinations and the like but I mean life style changes as well. Would you go to parks still, go to the groomers, let your dog sniff other dogs on walks. Would You feel comfortable being around other dogs if you are one of the members on here that breeds, works at a vet, or grooms?

This is another one of my hypothetical threads but I like to hear what you all think.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I don't worry to much about various viruses, but then I had to be forced by my doctor, husband, and mother to get the H1N1 vaccine a couple of weeks ago. I am not taking any special percautions other than hand washing and basic common sense sanitation to avoid either of this year's Flu. I'm certainly not avoiding people or public places. I would probably hold the same type of practices with my dogs, if we go to the vet and another dog sniffs them I'm not going to freak. When it comes to dog to dog contact I'm more concerned with behavior. I do ask people at the vet clinic, staff included, not to pet my dogs the doctor washes her hands in front of me LoL, and I have a strict DO NOT TOUCH rule about litters of puppies, only the doctor can touch and only after washing and gloving hands. Though you can argue that they get immunity from mom when they are newly born, but not from everything as I have learned the hard way in the past.
I do notice that the pet edge brand kennel disinfectant claims to kill H1N1, which I found interesting. I am vigilant about keeping dog kennels clean, especialy now inviting strange dogs into parts of my home. Mop every day, nothing is shared, disinfect table, tub, and tools, between pets but I've always done that. *shrugs* Haha, I even disinfect everything between MY OWN dogs when I groom them, just keeping in the habit I suppose? I dont know that I would board my dog unless I knew the people who worked at the facility were as anal about that kind of thing as I am. I've already shunned my local dog park of late and likely won't be returning. That has more to do with fleas and other dog's behavior. I don't mind letting strangers human or dog meet my guys though.

As for my cats, don't get me wrong it's not that I don't love them, but I don't see a need to worry at all and won't. They don't leave the house for one and two they seem to barely tolerate me sooooooo you get the idea :) I wouldn't want them to get sick or anything, I need them in the house - keeps my mother away hehehe she's allergic. I keep up on vacines for them and feed and water them and pet them when they'll allow it. I'm not nearly as attached though so I fail when it comes to keeping up on the latest and greatest cat related news :(

I just googled it and found this article, says it's the the k-9 version of the H1N1 virus. My brain is to foggy to read and retain much of anything in the article but remember when it was being talked about alot here. What I do understand that it isn't the same thing exactly so the virus has not crossed over into dogs.
http://gomestic.com/pets/the-h1n1-flu-and-dogs/

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I myself had the H1N1 shot and my youngest will get his Monday. For myself (pregnant) and my youngest (2 yrs with medical issues) I certainly couldnt pass up taking extra precausions. I also do avoid public places with a high number of kids/people like Chucky Cheese, Johns incredible pizza, walmart if at all possible and even the park lately. The last time I checked 17 young kids had died in the US in one week from the H1N1 virus. Im trying to what I can to prevent from getting it. I also want my 4 year old to get the vaccine but because my pediatrician is short on the shot, they will only give my 2 year old son it at this time. He's more of a risk with a lower immune system so I was able to get him scheduled atleast.

As for my dogs, I really havent heard the H1N1 that people are getting is something dogs can get. I personally wouldnt worry about dogs transmitting swine like I would parvo or kennel cough etc. Thats just me though. I still take Eli out to the dog park and to the groomer. My other pooches arent so dog friendly these days.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
As some of you might remember - several weeks ago - I was under "quarantine" in my house as TheFiance had been exposed to H1N1 at work. The 4 and 2 year old had both been tested positive for it... it ran it's course in 48 hours for them, and they were both fine... but we had to stay in the house for 3 days.

However, if I actually had H1N1, giving it to my dog would probably be the least of my worries. That and TheQueen - the only one that stays in "my room" of the house - has a stomach of steel, as well as she is the heartiest of dogs.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
As some of you might remember - several weeks ago - I was under "quarantine" in my house as TheFiance had been exposed to H1N1 at work. The 4 and 2 year old had both been tested positive for it... it ran it's course in 48 hours for them, and they were both fine... but we had to stay in the house for 3 days.

However, if I actually had H1N1, giving it to my dog would probably be the least of my worries. That and TheQueen - the only one that stays in "my room" of the house - has a stomach of steel, as well as she is the heartiest of dogs.
I never got tested for H1N1 but I believe my sister and I had it already early this year.

My teacher said he would just get a regular flu shot and not become guinea pigs for that h1N1 shot. I was listening on the radio that back in the 70's or 80"s ? ( sorry forgot year) the swine flu was here and people died from the swine flu shot they where giving out :wacko:

I never get regular flue shots either lol I was offered a free flu shot at Kaiser when I went to get my eye checked. I said no thanks lol I am scared of needles contating vaccines ! I can have my blood taken easily but vaccines :scared:

·
Registered
157 Posts
The only animal I have in my house right now is my cat, but she is an indoor cat so I don't worry too much for her safety.

For me, I keep hand sanitizer handy in my purse, and I make sure to use those disinfectant wipes the grocery store has for the shopping carts. Otherwise, I'm not too concerned. I'm not getting a vaccine(nor have I ever) since the flu mutates so often that by the time the shot is out it's already pretty much obsolete.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts