Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to find a forever standard poodle for our family and I feel pressure to make the right decision. Based on lots of things I've read on PF, I have narrowed things down to a few breeders that seem very good and are in a reasonable proximity. But I just wondered if anyone had tips on how to further narrow things down? Is just having a visit one of the most important things or how did you end up making your decision. thanks!

·
Premium Member
22,882 Posts
Have you read through this thread? https://www.poodleforum.com/5-poodle-talk/33522-buying-puppy-safely-basics.html It has tons of great discussion on choosing a breeder.

For me I was able to visit both Lily and Javelin's litters when they were about five weeks old. But even before I met them and their people I already had a good sense of and rapport with the people. The meeting confirmed what I already knew.

If you tell us who you are thinking about we can give feedback.

Reactions: Streetcar

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Selecting a breeder is a two-way street, in that a good breeder also selects his/her puppy buyers. Why not figure out your preferred timeline for getting a puppy, and then give phone calls to a few breeders to talk about your desire for a Poodle, and what your family environment is like, and what you have to offer a Poodle?

Breeders will know whether they might produce or currently have a puppy suitable for you, based on your family, your lifestyle, and your timeline.

When you call, consider asking if it's a good time to chat or if there would be a better time to talk about a Poodle for your family. Many will be busy when you ring, so let them suggest a time :).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts