Poodle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sage and I are super excited to announce that we are getting an Arreau standard poodle puppy:)
I am excited and a little bit nervous, of course — Sage has no idea! Of course I found Arreau through poodle forum and I was very happy that I was able to get one from their last litter, and it’s a red girl!!
Her name is Saffron and you can see her on their Facebook page.
Thanks Cherie and Debra at Arreau Red Standard Poodles- www.redstandardpoodles.net

What is everyone’s best tip about two dogs, and making it smooth for Sage (he’ll be 4 in February?) I’d appreciate and suggestions. I will also post pictures... it will be happening soon:)
Jen and Sage

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Oh lucky you ! Cayenne is one of my favorite Arreau dogs and I bet her pup will be as beautiful! Love the name 'Saffron' too! I hear Pearl is almost ready to whelp also!
Anyway CONGRATULATIONS and HAPPY PUPPYHOOD!!!!

Reactions: JenandSage

·
Premium Member
9,616 Posts
For those of us not on FB, Waaaaaaaaah! So happy for you and for Sage. I predict he is going to love her and eventually will be ruled by her. A neutral setting for initial introductions, and then let the fun begin.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Congratulations! You are so lucky to get one of their pups.....beautiful breeding and so well socialized. Of course, you will be REQUIRED to post tons of pictures here for all of us to drool over!

·
Registered
7,141 Posts
Congratulations - how exciting. I hope you post lots of photos when you bring your new baby home.

·
Super Moderator
3,139 Posts
Jen, you are sooo lucky!!! An Arreau spoo puppy! That is just fantastic, congratulations! I can usually recognize one a mile away, and they have the nicest temperaments. Lord, if I had a backyard I'd want one as my second poodle. (Lol, tiny Bella and a spoo would be hilarious together.)

Anyway, poodles are so friendly and sociable in general that I'm guessing Sage will take little Saffron under his wing and be very protective toward her, at least I hope so. Cute names too, Sage and Saffron. It's nice that they're opposite sexes; I've heard that makes for a nice duo dynamic. Do keep us posted with lots of photos, and best wishes!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh lucky you ! Cayenne is one of my favorite Arreau dogs and I bet her pup will be as beautiful! Love the name 'Saffron' too! I hear Pearl is almost ready to whelp also!
Anyway CONGRATULATIONS and HAPPY PUPPYHOOD!!!!
Yes it’s Cayenne’s and I couldn’t not keep the spicy name? They all looked like wonderful pups and very well socialized. All of their adult poodles are so beautiful and I secretly always wanted a red one (don’t tell Sage ) but didn’t know where to look. Pearl looks great in the photos ... i will probably want one of hers too?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jen, you are sooo lucky!!! An Arreau spoo puppy! That is just fantastic, congratulations! I can usually recognize one a mile away, and they have the nicest temperaments. Lord, if I had a backyard I'd want one as my second poodle. (Lol, tiny Bella and a spoo would be hilarious together.)

Anyway, poodles are so friendly and sociable in general that I'm guessing Sage will take little Saffron under his wing and be very protective toward her, at least I hope so. Cute names too, Sage and Saffron. It's nice that they're opposite sexes; I've heard that makes for a nice duo dynamic. Do keep us posted with lots of photos, and best wishes!
Yes I am lucky. Bella would be awesome with a spoo! I know I have my work cut out for me with a puppy but I have no doubt she will be a nice one... thanks for the encouragement.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Congratulations! You are so lucky to get one of their pups.....beautiful breeding and so well socialized. Of course, you will be REQUIRED to post tons of pictures here for all of us to drool over!
Absolutely! I didn’t take enough when my big guy was a baby. Lesson learned!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For those of us not on FB, Waaaaaaaaah! So happy for you and for Sage. I predict he is going to love her and eventually will be ruled by her. A neutral setting for initial introductions, and then let the fun begin.
Mfmst — that will likely be the case as Sage is always ruled by his girl friends! I will try and make sure he is not overwhelmed. And I will most definitely post pictures here.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Oh you are so lucky! I have been following that litter on FB, they are all beauties and so well socialized already. I'd love one myself but I am at my limit in the household to properly care for them all. Once my daughter moves out with her boxer and I lose my 16 year old chi, I may consider another standard. But I'm getting up there in age now so I think I would take a rescue if the right one came along. I see so many coming in thru our local rescue club. Saffron is a beautiful puppy. Anytime I bring a new pup in I have my elder dog meet them in the street and let them sniff them.
Also any new pet is usually crated or separated for a time so my "house" dog gets to pass them and look fat them and get use to them by the time I give the new one some freedom. I have always been lucky that things went smoothly. CAn't wait to hear and see more about your new baby.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Absolutely! I didn’t take enough when my big guy was a baby. Lesson learned!
Congratulations on the new pup!

It is so hard to take enough pictures of a puppy. They never sit still, and don't make it easy to get a good picture. Then you blink, and they gain 3 lb. Before you know it, they are huge, changing their coats, and leaving puppyhood behind.

Anyway, enjoy the ride!

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
Congratulations. I think the age spread between Sage and Saffron sounds perfect. Sage is old enough to not backslide into silly puppy behaviors and be a good role model, but not too old to enjoy her as a crazy play mate. We introduced all of our new puppies to whoever was already with us out on our front lawn or other neutral space. Lily came with us when we picked up Peeves so they met in his breeder's kitchen. Javelin had the front lawn meetings with each of the older dogs separately. We had Javelin's crate in the office next to our bedroom and we used that whole room as his long term confinement area with a baby gate in the doorway. They were all able to see, hear and smell each other all the time and could interact at the gate whenever they wanted, but we never let him loose in the rest of the house with them unsupervised until Javvy was about 8 months old.

Lily was not so happy about it when he arrived and it probably took almost 6 months before she enjoyed playing with him. He and Peeves were fine until Javelin reached sexual maturity. They mostly just tolerate each other now. Two dogs is almost always lots easier than three or more. I think your two will be fast friends before too long.

·
Super Moderator
3,139 Posts
... Anytime I bring a new pup in I have my elder dog meet them in the street and let them sniff them...
Jen, from my experience, this is the hands down best way to introduce your older dog to a new one. It skips over the territorial mindset of "who is this and why have you brought him/her into MY house!"

Over two decades ago I had a lovely cocker spaniel, and bought my first poodle puppy. They met outside, they sniffed each other, played a bit, and the puppy followed us into the home and it was so easy. They were opposite sexes too and became fast friends.

My son as a teen tried to pull a fast one on me by sneaking in a "playful" 8 month old pitbull mix while I was out, despite my previously saying no way, never a pit and no more dogs!

I came home and me and the poodle hadn't stepped one foot through the door and when that *%#! pit came from out of nowhere and attacked him "playfully". My son had to open it's jaws to remove our poodle's leg. Fortunately it was only a puncture wound. My son got cussed out and was in the doghouse for days, but he learned a valuable lesson about pits. What's really funny is years later and on his own, he got a little dachshund. He loves that little dog and takes him almost everywhere.

Although that was pit, any dog can be territorial so it's important how and where they meet. I also think this, combined with Catherine's idea of initial separation so they can really get used to each other, is a good way to start.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
I'm so happy for you, Jen! I agree with all the advice given. When I brought Frosty home, I was by myself, so I just let him meet my girls (Maizie and Zooey) outside in the yard. My girls are not territorial, so I knew it would be acceptable, although I agree it's ideal to introduce on neutral turf.

Maizie was out of sorts and actually got sick from Frosty's arrival for about the first week. She also played very roughly with him, which caused me a lot of stress. Slowly, things settled down. I supervised like a hawk. Gave them both individual attention while the other was crated.

As Frosty grew, he started overpowering Maizie in play. He has a much more (don't shoot me) "dominant" personality. So I still have to supervise them and make sure he gets a TON of exercise and training so he doesn't harass Maiz too much. Overall, they love each other and enjoy playing together. Frosty is much more dependent on Maiz than she is on him, though.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Never had any problem bringing a new dog even the same sex. But always watched them closely for a month before leaving them alone if I was gone. The problem is with 3 the 2 stick together and do not include my last one Sage, so she gets a little more attention. The just ignore her, and sometimes she wants the to play with her.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Jen this is so thrilling!! I started following Arreau Standard Poodles on Facebook and the puppies are just darling. I can't wait to see pics! :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts