Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

My healthy, beautiful dogs mated (planned and prepared for) in February and I am expecting puppies around April 20th. Both dogs are HEALTHY, beautiful and lovely to be around. I could not have asked for a better pair. Sire (apricot) is a funny, graceful, long-legged mini (12lbs) with 2 apricot parents. My girl is a 21lbs oversized mini - long legs, agile, super-smart and the fastest dog around. She is a phantom with a black sire and a brown dam.

As far as I can figure out from the available information it looks like I might have a whole mixture of colours?

Thank you,
82821926_10156784721047551_3124846818194620416_n.jpg

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Hi and Welcome!

You are correct about the colors in this pairing being unpredictable. Here's one explanation and if I can find another chart and article I'm thinking of, I'll drop those in.

Reactions: ycoetzee

·
Super Moderator
1,511 Posts
I believe phantom is a dominant, so 50% chance of that.
Apricot is normally recessive to black/brown. Therefore, you wouldn't get apricot unless your girl is carrying apricot from a distant ancestor. People who are serious about color breeding don't normally mix brown and apricot lines, as there is a belief that the nose and eye color will get goofed up. Black phantom could hide lots of stuff. Recessive genes are a funny thing. There are tests for the apricot gene, but at this point you might as well just see what comes out of the oven.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts