Poodle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else own what I call a "Guard Poodle?" Mika lets me know if someone is knocking at the door by barking and will let me know when someone is in the house, and when I was fostering Josie for a day he tried to protect me from my husband and tried to eat him up o.o

BTW, the crack head will not be back to my house, hubby was outside with Mika on a retractable leash and crackie was walking down the street, Mika wasn't worried about her but insisted pulling the leash out of hubby's hand when he wasn't paying attention to go to the edge of the lawn to sniff. Well Crackie thought the dog was sic-ed on her and ran down the street like: "Lawdy, Lawdy he done sic-ed his dog on me" while hubby jumped on the leash as quick as lightning!

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Does anyone else own what I call a "Guard Poodle?" Mika lets me know if someone is knocking at the door by barking and will let me know when someone is in the house, and when I was fostering Josie for a day he tried to protect me from my husband and tried to eat him up o.o

BTW, the crack head will not be back to my house, hubby was outside with Mika on a retractable leash and crackie was walking down the street, Mika wasn't worried about her but insisted pulling the leash out of hubby's hand when he wasn't paying attention to go to the edge of the lawn to sniff. Well Crackie thought the dog was sic-ed on her and ran down the street like: "Lawdy, Lawdy he done sic-ed his dog on me" while hubby jumped on the leash as quick as lightning!
LMAO yes Enzo barks at the door, just the other day my bf put on a halloween wig and Enzo growled like I have never seen before and stared at him. He then rushed my bf and when he got a whiff of his scent he started to wag his tail and jumped all over my bf playing.

There are SCH title poodles so I would not under estimate the mighty poodle lol

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL I used to do that with my Mom's American Bulldog "Diablo" all the time, crouching down, making strange noises...it was hilarious...and the mighty bulldog that is so often to attack...was a chicken and ran away "ruffing"

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
Moose barks when someone he doesn't know comes up the driveway he can tell by the way the car sounds. Also if someone walks to the door he can sense/hear them and the same for deer and other animals in the backyard he suddenly jumps up and knows they are there somehow.

I've also had him growl/nip at strangers when they were helping me but not introduced to him... he was fine until they tried to pet him. He does this to people he doesn't know unless I tell him "it's ok"... if someone approaches us he doesn't know he hunkers down growls and barks at the person to leave.

Great first alert system :)

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've also had him growl/nip at strangers when they were helping me but not introduced to him... he was fine until they tried to pet him. He does this to people he doesn't know unless I tell him "it's ok"... if someone approaches us he doesn't know he hunkers down growls and barks at the person to leave.

Mika has done this too, my hubby has a friend that comes over often to play cards with and Mika was introduced to him and Mika tried to bite at him, got in trouble for it as well. Scooter also hates this person for some reason and goes into barking fits when he is at our house, Cash however loves everyone.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
My golden and my spoos all bark as soon as they hear a vehicle; be it car or ATV or snowmobile on the road. We have a 450' driveway but they don't wait to see if they are coming here. They bark and run to the bottom of the driveway when people ride in on horses. They bark and run to the door like all Hell let loose when someone steps on the porch. They run through the field at the woodline and bark like they are going to kill when the scent a bear, deer, or moose passing through.

They know the property boundaries and don't go beyond it. I like it when they let me know about things because we live on the side of a mountain and are pretty much isolated.

But it's a hoot to see them when the person or people finally get to the house. They stop barking and wag all over the place because they are excited to have company. LOL None of them have ever growled or bit at a stranger because we don't allow that. However, we have guns in the house if I ever needed to protect myself....and them!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Sometimes my husband gets called into work and gets home really late. Once, when he got home after midnight, he opened the bedroom door and Rufus leapt off the bed to get him. Now, before he opens the door he calls to Rufus.

Then, my husband sold some hay to a man down the road. When the man came to get it, Rufus wouldn't let him off the tractor.

I think he is more protective then my previous rottweiler.

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
Sometimes my husband gets called into work and gets home really late. Once, when he got home after midnight, he opened the bedroom door and Rufus leapt off the bed to get him. Now, before he opens the door he calls to Rufus.

Then, my husband sold some hay to a man down the road. When the man came to get it, Rufus wouldn't let him off the tractor.

I think he is more protective then my previous rottweiler.
hahaha wow!

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I can't wait for these dogs to start being bred LMAO

·
Registered
15 Posts
Maybe it is not a bad thing to trust your poodle's instincts when it comes to people. My friend had a Standard that was generally friendly to strangers. He absolutely hate their neighbour though and would growl and bark and stand in front of her whenever they saw him. She could never figure it out because this guy seemed friendly enough. Finally one night, the police showed up at his house and he was arrested. He was actually abusing his wife and kids for years ! You can't get much past a Standard when it comes to intuition about people...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Harry started off barking and harassing visitors when he first arrived ( not OK !). Now he warning barks but I alternated between a firm "Harry stop NOW" and a "look Harry, it's so and so.." in a light voice and now he is very cool with visitors, the postman etc . As long as I acknowledge the visitor first. Co Co is doing a bit of initial possessiveness but it's nothing that is going to be a problem.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts