Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Annie was spayed a few months ago now, and is about 21 months now. And... the last few months, especially lately, she has been rather undemanding, and i am finding it really weird. Not sure if this is normal for an adult spoo.

She doesnt bug me much about walks. Our activity levels have decreased. She doesnt pounce on Trixie or follow me around the house as much and just seems to sleep a lot. She rarely picks up a toy unless i initiate play. She doesnt have much stamina to want to keep playing ball (maybe 3 or 4 tosses before she gets bored and stops retrieving instead of a few dozen), and actually asks sometimes to leave the dog park after a while when we go (admittedly, she is still often the fastest dog and most energetic dog there). She doesnt hop up the moment she hears me ratttle a leash, she waits to hear me call her. We even walked both dogs together on flexis yesterday and Annie didnt try to pounce on Trixie even once. It was weird.

Yesterday, she did a tiny walk, played tug with Trixie a bit and a short training session, and a sniffy 20 min walk downtown. A bit of porch time. Thats it! No bugging me. No evening zoomies. No tormenting Trixie. No sticking toys in my face. Very little barking. She spent most of the day sleeping on the couch downstairs, while the rest of us were upstairs. Even 5 year old trixie was more active.

Its not low enough activity levels that i am really worried she is sick, and we just went to the vet for allergies. Just... less busy.

And i am sad about it, honestly. 6 months ago, if you had told me i would be sad she had settled down, i would have told you that you were nuts, but today? I miss my wild and crazy teenage puppy.

So yeah - is this dramatic of a change in energy levels normal for a spoo?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not hot here anymore. I am keeping an eye on the forecast for our first frost!
She was a super chill puppy (easiest puppy ever) before adolescence hit, so i guess i wouldnt be surprised if she went back to being super chill as an adult. I am being told not to worry, she is being a good dog and dogs dont HAVE to be active and follow you around all the time.

So far this morning, i combed her for half an hour before we got up, she ran down stairs and jumped in moms bed for a cuddle while i ate breakfast. Called her, put her out for a pee, gave her breakfast. She is now snoozing on the couch. And... thats it. She isnt even asking to snuggle on the other couch with me. Seriously, i know this would be the ideal dog for some people, but its kinda weird.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree with Liz
When you went to the vet recently did they run any tests? Did they prescribe any medication for her allergies, are you giving her Benadryl?
She seems to be allergic to duck - i had fed her a ducks head and been giving a lot of brand new duck treats. No tests, just an antihistamine ( i had thought it was a bad ear infection from the way she was shaking her head and pacing so took her) . I gave her 1 day of benadryl before going, 2 days of venedryl afterwards, but now done for 4 days or so.
My mother, who also lives with Annie, says . "She is FINE."
Annie is presently on the porch with a bone, and would say her life is pretty great right now.

·
Super Moderator
7,229 Posts
My husband and I remarked yesterday that Peggy has slowed down dramatically at 15 months, though I dream of the day she's as easy as you're describing Annie.

I recall you had some new-ish concerns about how she was interacting with other dogs. Has that behaviour mellowed, too?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
PTP - i thought the same, and now i am having a moment of mourning for my wild and crazy adolescent lol.

Weird leash behaviour definitely has mellowed. I am still careful about letting her greet off leash dogs when she is onleash, but have had some practice with her around off leash dogs she knows while on leash (after playing) and she has been fine. I suspect she may partially be reacting to social cues i dont see, like when she tuned up a bouncy puppy recently. I have also noticed how she approaches dogs on leash (she has awesome dog manners usually), she approaches and bounces at a distance, and seems to wait for permission and attention from the dog for her to approach, rather than running in for a sniff. Human body language and social conventions are hopeless mysteries to me, but Annie seems to be helping teach me dog ones!

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds like she's growing up!

Guess you'll just have to get another puppy. ;)
Hahahaha omg... no!!! Not THAT crazy . When Annie is 4-6, i will think about it.
Besides, my poor mother and Trixie would likely murder me in my sleep, Trixie has FINALLY trained Annie, and my mother is enjoying no puppyproofing the house, babygates, exercise pens, or dog crates on the main floor.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Sammy is intact. At about 9-10 months of age, he slowed down dramatically. He was always a very easy puppy, but up for any adventure, for awhile. He is usually tired out after 30 minutes of physical activity and takes a nap. He is content to do nothing but laze around the house all day, with a couple short periods of play. I was worried about his inactivity,but reassured by vet he is fine weight/health wise. I guess during this COVID thing, we have to put extra effort into making sure they are on a schedule.

My older aussie, omg - puppyhood destruction for over 3 years.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
My older aussie, omg - puppyhood destruction for over 3 years.
I think Aussies have more energy than Poodles, but it could be the individual dog. My Aussie could run at least 20 laps (It was probable more like 50 laps) before she got tired. My Standard Poodle for the most part gets tired or bored before I do.

@For Want of Poodle, is Annie still like how she has been? Maybe she is going back to being layed back like she was when she was a puppy?

·
Super Moderator
3,729 Posts
@For Want of Poodle, my first thought reading your description was that Annie sounds depressed. However, she's not the first female I've read or heard about or had, that was spayed and acted like this.

This article, titled "Countering the Effects of Spay", is informationally dense. It identifies medical but also behavioral changes that are worrisome, and names the specific medical tests to run to rule out certain problems in some females after a spay. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think Aussies have more energy than Poodles, but it could be the individual dog. My Aussie could run at least 20 laps (It was probable more like 50 laps) before she got tired. My Standard Poodle for the most part gets tired or bored before I do.

@For Want of Poodle, is Annie still like how she has been? Maybe she is going back to being layed back like she was when she was a puppy?
Fenris - i think it js all in how you raise them. Annie gets bored of training before i do, but will run almost full speed for 2 hrs at a dog park or on an offleash hike, way nore physical energy than me or the vast majority of dogs that we meet. The aussies i know tend to be far more laid back than that and less prone to zoomies.
Yes she is still being very chill/calm/(dare i say it) boring. She did bug me after we were gone almost all day a day or two ago. I wonder if part of it is her ears wereso irritated with allergies that she didnt want petting for a while.
Vita said:
@For Want of Poodle, my first thought reading your description was that Annie sounds depressed. However, she's not the first female I've read or heard about or had, that was spayed and acted like this.

This article, titled "Countering the Effects of Spay", is informationally dense. It identifies medical but also behavioral changes that are worrisome, and names the specific medical tests to run to rule out certain problems in some females after a spay. Good luck.
I have wondered if she is depressed. Humans experience emotional and hornonal changes after a spay, wouldnt surprise me with dogs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts