Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Beau 1yr old Mini Poodle
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My goodness Beau gave me a bit of a scare last night/early this morning. He has been going through what we hope is his last growth spurt, his front legs have finally caught up with his rear legs :). So far everything has been fine, but then last night at 3am I got up to use the restroom, and Beau followed me like he always does. I looked down at him and noticed that all of a sudden he was limping a little on his right front leg. Of course I PANICKED for a few minutes, I checked his leg and foot all over and could find nothing wrong. So I tried massaging the leg for a while I don't know if it really helped very much, but he seemed to feel better. Then I remembered that I still have some Meloxidyl left over from when he had trouble recovering from his umbilical hernia surgery (long story short he had a retained suture and the incision became inflamed/painful). So I gave him a dose of it, and took him to bed with me. My poor puppy :cry:

Now all day today he's been fine . . . running and playing like nothing happened. In fact right now he's rolling around at my feet playing with a chew toy being his usual sweet happy self. We have noticed that over the last few days his front legs have grown at least a half inch, so I'm thinking/hoping that it was just some growing pains.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
It could be, tho I've not looked into that as a possibility for sudden, unexplained limping or favoring. That may be because I've almost always witnessed the moment it started.
Like you did, I run my hands over each limb, or each side, at the same time to see if I feel anything not matching up, and to check for sensitivity to being touched.
If nothing seemed out of the ordinary, like you did, I'd probably massage the area for a while, and even if my pup seemed to be feeling better, I'd give some mild pain or anti inflam med if I had it on hand.
If he seemed fine in the morning, then I'd just chalk it up to mystery resolved if not explained.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Beau is looking quite dashing! Growing pains sound likely. There were a few times when Mia was a growing pup that she would suddenly come up lame. It usually only lasted a minute or so, but there was one time when it lasted two or three days. I appreciated a neighbor's advice who had gone through the same thing with their pup.

·
Registered
Beau 1yr old Mini Poodle
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, even though I knew what it (probably) was I did freak out a little bit. Beau is the first puppy I have raised myself. The last puppy my family had was our Akita Whippet mix Trixie, and we got her when I was 12yrs old which was more than 20yrs ago ;). I do have anxiety, and I worry over him but so far I think he's doing pretty well. I got lucky though he is such a good puppy.

Reactions: Liz and Rose n Poos
1 - 5 of 5 Posts