Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Charlie is almost 11 months, and I've noticed his coat is getting coarser. It's still not tangly, and we keep it somewhat short, but I am starting to brush him more often. Today I found a few tangles in his ears (which haven't been cut since early March) and I was able to tease them out with a comb. So I thought I'd ask if there was product to use to help with daily grooming, or if I needed any other "equipment."

Charlie's only 18 pounds, and I have a Chris Christensen brush, which works well. But his ears get really flyaway after combing them out.

Thanks much! Happy Memorial Day weekend!
Judy

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You need a detangling spray, and your pup in probably starting the dreaded coat change
Can I use this spray on a dry coat (ears) during groomings? And, just to clarify, I thought I had read not to wet a mat but to try to untangle it dry. Right or wrong?

·
Super Moderator
1,805 Posts
My opinion only, YMMV.

I really like the Chris Christensen buttercombs. Any metal comb is better than plastic, because plastic causes static. However, something about the C C combs just seems to make them glide better.

Water vs no water depends on the situation. Normally mats form around something that causes the hair to move the wrong direction and bunch together. Kind of like a pearl, but not nearly as attractive ☺ A grass seed, slobber from a playmate, a burr, shed hair or the coat change will all do it. If you have just a couple mats and the core of the mat is something that water will loosen (slobber, mud, oddly corkscrewed hair) then using a spray bottle to dampen that section might work. If the core of the mat is something that won't dissolve (sticks, seeds) then adding water will make it worse.

What you absolutely don't want to do is get the mats wet and then let them dry. They will tighten up into felt. At that point they will be almost impossible to comb out, the grooming session will be a torture to all concerned, and leaving the mats in place will be uncomfortable for the dog. You're stuck with a shave down.

I sometimes use a horse product called Show Sheen when I'm trying to salvage the ear and tail hair after I've been neglectful. It coats the hair, so I don't recommend it as a regular conditioner, but it works well for pre-bath emergency detangling.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
With mats, just be cautious in terms of causing your dog discomfort. A painful dematting can make a dog fear brushing, which is a nightmare for a poodle. I like to brush frequently. When my dog was in the worst of coat change I would brush daily. Now a few months out, I brush every 2-3 days. I coat all long hair with a detangler before I dry the dog after bathing, and then I also always spray my brushes with detangler before brushing. I would much rather brush more and demat less. I use "The Stuff" for detangling but there are a lot of good options. I am pleased with the scent and texture of The Stuff as it doesn't seem to cause any icky residue. Peope also say to put cornstarch on the mat to brush it out. Another thing that helps is frequent bathing and drying with a high velocity dryer. The HV dryer gets the hair more straight so it will mat less.

As far as combs, I also love my Chris Christensen buttercomb. I use a 000 Fine/Course comb.

For brushing I use both the CC coral slicker and a plastic tipped Safari slicker. The plastic tipped slicker is better tolerated by my dog for areas with short hair and for the legs.

As a last note, don't forget to make sure you have a good conditioner to use after shampoo. This also helps to keep the hair healthy and mat free.

·
Premium Member
6,691 Posts
Can I use this spray on a dry coat (ears) during groomings? And, just to clarify, I thought I had read not to wet a mat but to try to untangle it dry. Right or wrong?
I use it post bath as a leave in conditioner, but you can mist it on to aid in brushing out light knots.
I did this when my pups were going through coat change.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
I like highly diluted Coat Handler conditioner as a grooming spray, and also have and use Crown Royal #3, one of the Best Shot sprays, Just Divine, and Stazko. Not all at once, just as the mood and need suit. I've used tiny sprays of Ice on Ice for problem spots, but don't really see it as a full body use product. Others may well use it as such, though. It's an excellent product, for sure.

Love my pin brushes, too, especially during blow drying.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Check the areas that commonly mat on a daily basis during coat change. I brushed/combed my spoo every day due to his longish hair from showing. For us it was behind the ears and the front legs. I used conditioner after bathing and some other detangling products. None were foolproof. Oh, the hours spent grooming! Next time my dog will be shaved short during that time period.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts