Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! This is my boy Bananas and he has been in the Miami with a trimmed topknot for as long as I can remember. Since we have gotten into more AKC competitions (Rally, obedience, etc) I’ve been growing his coat out! I do not want to band his topknot and I don’t like the line between them! I was hopefully going for the modern or Scandinavian but couldn’t tell the difference between them?Any suggestions for growing his coat and maintenance would be wonderful as well and what haircut you think would be best of my handsome man!

First photo was with long ears and second photo was today after growing his hair for about a month and having to cut his ears because he chewed on them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,397 Posts
Oh, part of the fun of having a poodle is dog topiary. There are some awkward phases in growing out a Miami clip. If you take off the leg pompoms too early, the legs can look a bit spindly. I prefer to let the leg hair grow for a month or so before finally removing the pompoms. I've started growing Noelle's topknot. I have never seen her with a tied topknot and I was wondering what that would look like. There's no break between her topknot and her ears. That blended fuzzy noggin is making me happy. But, her hair is just a bit too short for rubber bands. It's in an awkward phase of needing a rubber band, but not having enough hair to keep it all tied up. I'm betting by Valentine's Day it'll be where I want it. It takes a while to grow hair. It's fun to watch it change.

As far as the difference between a Scandinavian and a Modern...

That's a Scandinavian.

If you just want to know what the finished groom looks like, scroll to the end.

·
Premium Member
23,178 Posts
You can do any clip you want for companion sports like obedience, rally and agility, so pick something practical and easy to maintain if you are tired of the Miami. Also Click is right that there can be some very awkward transitions going from a very short clip to a longer one.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Hi! This is my boy Bananas and he has been in the Miami with a trimmed topknot for as long as I can remember. Since we have gotten into more AKC competitions (Rally, obedience, etc) I’ve been growing his coat out! I do not want to band his topknot and I don’t like the line between them! I was hopefully going for the modern or Scandinavian but couldn’t tell the difference between them?Any suggestions for growing his coat and maintenance would be wonderful as well and what haircut you think would be best of my handsome man!

First photo was with long ears and second photo was today after growing his hair for about a month and having to cut his ears because he chewed on them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you for sharing your beautiful boy's photos. Our Charlie is coal black, and usually in about a 1 inch body cut with just a little cap, fluffy ears and a majestic full tail. He spends hours a day helping me hike mountain or desert trails so I need a very low maintenance coat. His body coat is more than 3 inches long over all now because we are headed into the deep snow season; our daughter's back yard can have 6 feet of snow pack by January and Charlie insists on spending alot of time outside. We spend many hours on snowshoe trails.If we decide to head for the Arizona desert in February we will have him clipped first. Our working boy doesn't look fancy, but I sure love to admire the gorgeous dogs on the Poodle site. Appreciate you sharing! Send more photos please as you develop the new look.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts