Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone and Happy New Year to you all.

My 13 week old puppy has been looking rather leggy recently lol so we measured him today and he is between 9 and a half and 10in tall. He was at the vet on 19th December and weight was 1.8kg and he is now 2.5kg. Is it normal to have a growth spurt like this? I have attached a couple of before and after pictures 1st at 8 weeks, 2nd at 13 weeks x

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,779 Posts
What does your vet say, I will point out that weighing little puppies and measuring wiggly puppies can have you mis measure and a regular scale vs a baby scale will end up with different results.

·
Premium Member
3,376 Posts
Growth spurts are absolutely normal and Twyla's right to suggest asking your vet if you have any serious concerns, and that measuring a wiggly puppy is difficult at best :).

This is a very general guideline for miniature poodle puppy growth, which I'm guessing your is.

There are NO weight restrictions on poodles only height so really weight doesn't have a lot to do with the poodle, except to be sure they are a healthy weight for their size.

Toys are 10 inches in height and under.

Miniatures are over 10 inches to 15 inches.

Standards are over 15 inches. This by the breed standards for both AKC and UKC.

NOTE: A poodles height is measured from the ground up to the top of the withers (shoulder blades).

HEIGHT CHART FOR MINIATURE POODLES

AGE IN MONTHS

HEIGHT IN INCHES

8 WEEKS

8 - 8.5 INCHES

3 MONTHS

10 - 10.5 INCHES

4 MONTHS

11 - 11.5 INCHES

6 MONTHS

13.5 - 14 INCHES

Some miniature poodles will take up to 12 months to finish growing. Some will finish growing in height around 6-7 months but may take a bit longer to fill out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi there, thanks for replying. Cooper was at the vet this morning for his last vaccination. He is weighing 2.6kg and the vet said he is still a bit underweight. He has a tapeworm which is why he was at the vet on 19th December. I take it that was the reason for him being a bit on the thin side. The vet said to keep doing what we are doing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi there, thanks for replying. Cooper was at the vet this morning for his last vaccination. He is weighing 2.6kg and the vet said he is still a bit underweight. He has a tapeworm which is why he was at the vet on 19th December. I take it that was the reason for him being a bit on the thin side. The vet said to keep doing what we are doing.
Was supposed to say had a tapeworm, not has. It has been treated and cleared up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts