Poodle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, the day is coming!!!!!! this thursday, 4/29, i will start my grooming training on jessie!! i'm so excited and i'm so nervous. her trainer is going to groom her and have me assist. my goal is to be good enough to do her maintenance every 2-3 weeks and then just bring her in for her full grooming to her regular groomer.

any words of advice from the experts???

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Really,really pay attention to what the trainer does with Jessi'e FFT... most novices biggest boo boos are clipping up too high between the eyes, and along the line from the corner of the eyes to the ears. Also, clipping up too high toward the tip of the tail, bring the pom on the tail too close to the end of the tail, and clipping too high up the feet. If you tidy her up within three weeks of your trainer doing her you will have lines to follow. Try to stay within the lines and she will look fabulous. A few times of doing it and you will have a lot of confidence and can then start on ther parts.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Insist on good table manners. It is really important that you are consistent in your expectation about how Jessie will behave on the table.

Poodles should stand, sit, or lie quietly while they are being groomed. This will help you do a better job grooming and it will help protect Jesse from minor scissoring or clipping mishaps.

Do you have a chin rest? I love mine and it helps support the dogs when they are standing or lying in the phoenix position.

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
any words of advice from the experts???
I'm not an expert (I just play one on TV) :lol: but I've been doing Lucybug's face, feet and tail since I brought her home last October... and the first time I did it, was the first time I EVER did it!!!

First of all... be EXCITED, but don't be NERVOUS!! Dogs can sense your energy and you don't want Jessie to worry about why YOU'RE nervous about this procedure! I agree with Arreau's advice - my habit is to take off less rather than more and then I can tweak as I go. You can always take off "just a little more", but you can't put it back on if you take off too much to start with!

I also discovered that once I (sort of) knew what I was doing - I couldn't let Lucy go two weeks anymore! As soon as her face starts looking a little "fuzzy", UP on the table she goes!! I'd have to say I'm doing FFT every 1 to 1 1/2 weeks max! Right after her spay, I gave her a couple week break from grooming as she healed and recovered and it drove me NUTS!!! I LOVE a clean face on a poodle! :)

Good luck, HAVE FUN, and learn lots!!! :)

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Insist on good table manners. It is really important that you are consistent in your expectation about how Jessie will behave on the table.

Poodles should stand, sit, or lie quietly while they are being groomed. This will help you do a better job grooming and it will help protect Jesse from minor scissoring or clipping mishaps.

Do you have a chin rest? I love mine and it helps support the dogs when they are standing or lying in the phoenix position.
lol - chin rest? lol - all i have is the dog! lol

·
Registered
102 Posts
I am a guy and if I can learn to groom a Standard Poodle anyone can do it. So when I groom my dog I break up the jobs over a couple days just to make it easier on me and my dog. One day I might shave face, feet and tail, then next day I might wash, blow dry and scissor. Then I do things like ears and teeth on seperate days.

Like what was said dont allow bad behaviour make sure you use a table and a long arm drier. I built my grooming table but my drier I bought 20 years ago same with my Oster A5 clippers.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Really,really pay attention to what the trainer does with Jessi'e FFT... ok first question: what is FFT ? :doh:
most novices biggest boo boos are clipping up too high between the eyes, and along the line from the corner of the eyes to the ears.

Also, clipping up too high toward the tip of the tail, bring the pom on the tail too close to the end of the tail yes, i don't like that pom look, i like plume better :)

, and clipping too high up the feet. If you tidy her up within three weeks of your trainer doing her you will have lines to follow. Try to stay within the lines and she will look fabulous. A few times of doing it and you will have a lot of confidence and can then start on ther parts.
thanx for the input!!!!!! right now she looks like a portugese water dog (especially with her brown color). i will try to do 'before' and 'after' pics....

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am a guy and if I can learn to groom a Standard Poodle anyone can do it. So when I groom my dog I break up the jobs over a couple days just to make it easier on me and my dog. One day I might shave face, feet and tail, then next day I might wash, blow dry and scissor. Then I do things like ears and teeth on seperate days.

Like what was said dont allow bad behaviour make sure you use a table and a long arm drier. I built my grooming table but my drier I bought 20 years ago same with my Oster A5 clippers.
hey, not a reverse sexist remark, :beauty: but i am impressed that, as a man, you have the patience to groom your spoo!! my husband would never do that. if he attempted, jessie would look like she was groomed with a lawn mower...:eek:hwell:

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
lol - chin rest? lol - all i have is the dog! lol
Ok... at minimum you need a table. Owners should not try to brush, clip, scisser etc unless the dog is standing on a grooming table. It puts the dog at a much more convenient height and it gives you way more control over the dog.

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
Yeah... people always tell me how funny I am... and then I tell them that looks aren't everything! :wacko:

I'm not currently on TV, but I HAVE been when I was the manager at the Pet Connection Humane Society. I was regularly on the TV and radio regarding our "Orphans of the Prairie".

Jessie's mom - FFT = Face, Feet and Tail... Now that Lucy's in a little more complex cut and almost her whole hiney has to be shaved, we call it FFF = Face, Feet and Fanny! :)

Edited to add - I "met" Arreau through her website during my search/research for a standard poodle puppy. We've never met in person yet, but that will be happening in about a month - actually on May 28th, Hubby, Lucy and I will be heading out on a cross-country trek to finally meet her! I can't WAIT! :)

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok... at minimum you need a table. Owners should not try to brush, clip, scisser etc unless the dog is standing on a grooming table. It puts the dog at a much more convenient height and it gives you way more control over the dog.
yes, i know, i was just being funny :biggrin1: i plan on getting all the basic necessary equipment to start with. in fact, i will take suggestions from everyone as to what those basic things are: brushes, clippers, combs, scissors, type of table, blower, etc....

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
lol dr. barb XD

cbrand do you have a suggestion for the head rest?
we've decided to just build our own grooming table and perhaps I'll need the headrest for it?

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah... people always tell me how funny I am... and then I tell them that looks aren't everything! :wacko:
you are way too funny! love your humor!!

I'm not currently on TV, but I HAVE been when I was the manager at the Pet Connection Humane Society. I was regularly on the TV and radio regarding our "Orphans of the Prairie".

Jessie's mom - FFT = Face, Feet and Tail... Now that Lucy's in a little more complex cut and almost her whole hiney has to be shaved, we call it FFF = Face, Feet and Fanny! :)thank you! now i'm starting to feel intelligent :doh:

Edited to add - I "met" Arreau through her website during my search/research for a standard poodle puppy. We've never met in person yet, but that will be happening in about a month - actually on May 28th, Hubby, Lucy and I will be heading out on a cross-country trek to finally meet her! I can't WAIT! :)
awwwww - that is SO great! i'm sure you will feel like you know each other FOREVER, the second you see each other and hug!!!!

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
lol dr. barb XD

cbrand do you have a suggestion for the head rest?
we've decided to just build our own grooming table and perhaps I'll need the headrest for it?

I love my chin rest, but I don't know where you can get them commercially. I bought mine from a Poodle handler who makes them. It hooks onto my table and is adjustable up and down. I would think you could go to a large AKC show in your area, talk to some Poodle folks and find a source for these.

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
yes, i know, i was just being funny :biggrin1: i plan on getting all the basic necessary equipment to start with. in fact, i will take suggestions from everyone as to what those basic things are: brushes, clippers, combs, scissors, type of table, blower, etc....
Just be careful! Acquiring grooming equipment can be addictive! LOL! I have horses, too, and I always said that I wouldn't be one of "those" horse people who have more tack than God!! But guess what??? I have more saddles than I have horses (and butts!!) and blankets, pads, halters, bridles, bits, etc., etc., etc...

When I started getting equipment for Lucy, I bought some small trimmers for FFT (you know what that means, now!!!) and I loved them... as she grew, and I got better with what I was doing, I got a nice corded clipper - but then decided cordless was really nice too - as was the trimmer with the light attached. I've purchased several different kinds/brands of combs, slicker brushes, shears, clippers, trimmers, etc., etc., etc... I have some that are my favorites and I can't imagine being without; and some others that I may never use again! :wacko: I :love: my grooming stuff! :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts